My 440 Can it be saved?

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
gdive
40C crawler
40C crawler

My 440 Can it be saved?

Post by gdive » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:53 pm

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/gedive64/
Is it even a 440?
Does it appear the rails are shot? Would these rails be worth new pads?
Is the attachment point on the back suitable for a backhoe or just a counterweight?

Please give me any and all advice... Thanks!

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by emichaelhaynes » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:31 am

You got a 440 alright. Is that a diesel? More Pics Please!

I've seen worse. Who am I kidding... I own worse!

Some controversy about the backhoe mounts...

Folks say there are different/heavier mounts for the backhoe but the parts manual shows parts for everything but the 440 with 831 loader.

Crawlers with backhoes should have an extra pressure relief valve somewhere. On your machine it was mounted directly on the pressure pump.

All that aside... you've got scarifier pins. Good chance that machine did not originally come with a hoe.

Rails... are the bottom rollers hitting the pin bosses? Crawlerheaven.com has wear limits guides for pin/bushings and track links but no data for 440 track links.

Pads... first set I've seen in worse shape than mine. Lavoy might be able to get you a set of used ones. Sprockets look decent enough so you may want to keep to stock 440 chains for now.

I've been exploring repairing my old pads and/or fabbing new ones. Looks like someone gave it a shot already on yours. Looks like they missed...

michael

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:41 am

It's a 440 and I would have brought it home too. It's a little hard to tell how "savable" it is without crawling over it (pun intended) but so long as the major casings aren't cracked or welded, looks like a decent enough machine to me.

I'm sure Lavoy or Andrew or one of the other guys with a bunch more experience than I can tell you more from the pictures but I think it's worth it. Of course, that's coming from a guy that just spent three times the purchase price on parts restoring a 1010.
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:38 am

Little hard to tell from the pics, but the rails height looks good. THe sprockets are from MC/40, and are definitely wrong. My one worry would be if they put 40 rails on it as well.
If the crawler was setup for a hoe, there would be a diverter hanging on the back of the valve box, so I would assume that the mounts are not hoe mounts.
Lavoy

gdive
40C crawler
40C crawler

Yes it's a diesel

Post by gdive » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Yes, it's a diesel and it runs. It heats up and if you stall it, it won't start again until it cools down. I talked to Lavoy about pads and will buy them if I confirm that the rails are ok. I am not sure what to do about the wrong sprockets. Any advice? Could this be why the former owner said it was prone to throw a track from time to time? He has a steep, long (3/4 mile) driveway here in the mountains of Pennsylvania and he was getting a tri-axle load of "quarry seconds" gravel. A young fellow with little experience was driving his dad's truck and the gravel was frozen in the bed. Anyhow the big chunk of weight that stuck to the cab end of the bed bent the whole works sideways and the truck tipped over on its side against the bank. This dozer with the aid of a couple of cable blocks and a cable got the truck back on all 12 feet. Then as he was using it to spread the gravel, she threw a track. This was last winter and after hearing that, when the former owner told me he was going to scrap her, well I couldn't let that happen. I'll gladly post more pictures. I didn't want to bore you folks.

P.S. Nothing major cracked, the guy who had it, cracked one of the drive cases while he was digging his foundation and replaced it with one from an equipment salvage yard on west of Pittsburgh, almost in Ohio.

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:24 pm

Does the reverser work? Great that it is a diesel Looks like a decent project to me.
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Those sprockets will definitely contribute to rerailing. They are for a small bushing, so the track is not sitting down in the teeth correctly. Add in some pin and bushing wear, and the problem compounds. Depending on serial number, sprockets are no problem, I have new and used on hand.
Lavoy

gdive
40C crawler
40C crawler

I am glad to hear something good i.e. the sprockets

Post by gdive » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:44 pm

I will now ask a really stupid question. I don't know if it has a direction reverser. When I picked it up, I was looking for the fuel cut-off which the former owner says isn't there--he just throttled it back and it would stop.
In the process, I found a rod with a machined end that looks like it was made for a clevis to attach to it. It is right above and in back of the clutch pedal and it pulls in and out fairly freely--could this be part of the reverser?

Now, to the rails. I measured mine according to the crawler heaven directions and came up with 23 3/16" on one side and 23 5/32" on the other side, these figures seem encouraging as it seems that there may be some life remaining in the rails unless I am misreading the chart.

Would you be able to give me a ballpark figure on sprockets, Lavoy?

Thanks to all of you for your help. This seems like the perfect forum and site. ( I have a lot of hobbies or interests and I haven't found another forum so friendly and helpful and the site so well done.)

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:46 pm

direction reverser sits behind the engine, in front of the trans. Your dashboard bolts to it. On the left side, by your clutch lever you will see a plunger looking part that slides back and forth, it is actuated by a lever on the dash with a linkage. If that plunger moves easily there probably is not any guts inside it. (I'm working on mine right now.)
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

gdive
40C crawler
40C crawler

Yes it has part of a reverser

Post by gdive » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:18 pm

I found the plunger and the place where the missing lever would mount.
How hard would it be to find the stuff to make my reverser work?

Also, it has a four spped transmission and just to the left of the gear shift on top of the transmission, there is a small lever that is positioned so that it is sort of at right angles to the gear shift. What does this do?

Thanks

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:32 pm

That handle sounds like the PTO. Try it and see if the PTO shaft turns when you engage it.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)