jd 40c

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

jd 40c

Post by Swawpy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Hello- I was hoping to get some info about what type/model blade and canopy I have mounted and if original equip. I recently bought this (40c) it's not a 420 but I think the carb tsx641 and governor are 420 (at least according to service manual pics) I was also curious about ballpark value and weight. I have tuned up and replaced all fluids, adjusted tracks, brake bands, steering, etc. I am very impressed with how much work this machine can handle and has performed great so far. It sat for about 6 years and was happy to come back to life. Thanks for any info.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:18 am

The winch is a Carco, no idea on the canopy, but it is possible that Carco made the canopy too. The blade I recognize, can't remember for sure who made it, maybe Balderson.
Lavoy

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:56 am

Lavoy- Thanks for the reply, I have never heard of Balderson. Any educated guesses as to weight? I was guessing 6-6.5k or so (too much for a 7k trailer anyway). Any thoughts on value for this dozer? My plan is to cut a road and clear about 2 acres, rock and skid some trees. Then I would like to remove blade, canopy and winch and restore that cute little crawler underneath and leave naked (no attachments). Thanks again

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:44 am

The bare crawler is in the 4500 lb range, so I think with attachments you are about on the money.
If you are not going far or fast and it is a good trailer, you would be okay on your trailer.
Lavoy

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:06 pm

The 420 i got in Washington from Fogswamp had the same blade, mine says holt on the front, might be different on yours but i swear the blade is the same. I have the gearmatic winch on mine, carco is owned by the same company that owns gearmatic now. I used a 7000lb trailer to haul the crawler from Toledo Washington to Leduc Alberta, with my half ton about 1600 miles through the mountains. A regular car trailer worked for mine no problems. Looks like a good crawler. I paid 3250 for mine, but there is an issue with the right side drive.

Dave

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:03 pm

I thought is looked like a Holt, but the name plate was missing, that is what threw me off. Look at the top of your blade and see if you have any welds or remains of the plate.
Lavoy

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:31 am

yes- it looks as if it has been ground down smooth at one time and spot painted green and then yellow over it at some point. Thats the only spot where I can scratch and pick and find green paint. So maybe the canopy is Holt also? Doesnt really matter, just curious. I was told the original owner had bought this brand new just the way it sits. Maybe a NW package of sorts for logging from a local dealer? Anyway Im still very happy with it even though its not a real 420. The price was right and after a couple days of odds and ends it starts, runs, drives, and steers great and everything works. Thanks for all the info and help.