Just a pic of my 420c

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Just a pic of my 420c

Post by Davie Sprocket » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:42 pm

This is the 1958 420c that i got from Fogswamp here on the board.

Dave

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:13 am

very nice- I would like to copy the way your hoses are run... much cleaner than over the hood like mine. Your right my blade is the same as yours. Where abouts does yours say HOLT? Also any chance of a right side picture?

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:29 pm

If you look at the center of the blade you can see the holt weld plate on top of the blade. I have since rerun new rams and hoses. Cleaned them up a little bit as i continue to work on the crawler. I re aligned the blade mounts and put new bolts in as some were rusted and a couple were broken. I'll grab some more pics of both sides and post them here.

Dave

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Dave- My wife is convinced I have turned into a "computer Geek", I just cant get enough of this forum. I never had much interest in the web until I learned what a great tool it can be! The knowledge, tips, advice, ideas, parts, and combined experiences of the members here makes it an unbelievable resource. Many thanks to Lavoy and everyone else. If its not too much to ask what is the sequence / procedure to realign the blade? Also look foward to seeing how and where you ran your hydraulic hoses (my 40c is mostly pretty clean but those four hoses sure can make an otherwise "neat" machine look shabby). One other thing... on my hydraulic valve originally it was set up to power up and down (with down pressure so you could cut with the blade), but had no detent position. After turning the valve plunger (connects directly from linkage) 180 degrees and unscrewing the float valve into cap, I now can lift the blade as always and float in the detent position but do not have any down pressure to cut with. I was just wondering if there is a way to have detent float and get down pressure without changing back and forth? Hope this all makes sense. Thanks

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

nice straight looking 420

Post by mini kahuna » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:39 pm

that is a real nice looking,solid machine...enjoy.
1010 loader

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 pm

A 40 can not have float and two way hyd at the same time unfotunately it has to be one or the other. That is one of the upgrades with the 420s on up.
Lavoy

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:43 am

Lavoy- thanks alot I was sure I was missing something so after an hour of rotating the valve, messing with the float screw and repeat, and just took it all apart and cleaned very well and put back together. Guess what? No change. Oh well there was a lot of crud got cleaned out anyway.

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:13 pm

Some more pics of the hydraulics after i put new rams and hoses on. Had to cut the old rams and there mounts off to get these ones to work. Now it barely creeps and i'm not dumping oil from the rams. If i get a chance later i will rebuild the valves. Got a pic of the holt plate on the blade as well.