pulling the finals? pointers from a learner

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
hugo
420 crawler
420 crawler

pulling the finals? pointers from a learner

Post by hugo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:21 pm

hi

Just in the middle of 'rebuilding' my left side final.
Dit my right side last summer and is working really fine.
I had to pull the right side because the clutch fork shaft was stuck! Really stuck! The fiber and steel disks just neaded cleaning.

I decided to do the left side likewise because I needed to work on the track rails and the right side just feels so much better now.

On the left side had the brake leaver stuck on the steering leaver shaft. So it applayed the brake to early. (real pain to get it off but after 1 full day it came off)

I use a service manual, without it I was lost!!!

With the removal of the cap screws I did not see the bolt that holds the bottom plate to the final drive witch is sitting almost at the rear crossbar.
On the right side it is hard to reach ( the hydrolic components). On the right side you can reach it from above.

To get the final off i used long bolts to get the final to move straight away frome the tracktor.

The inner side just needed al lot of cleaning, loosning and grease.
(in my case)
Adjusting the cluch fingers is a real pain but after i "discoverd" that the retainer is easy to remove with a small screwdriver. (you will need to release the tension from the pressure plate by releasing the 6 bolts)
(Why isnt this in the service manual?)

And the retainers will just pop back in place without much force!

If I am doing somethings wrong, please correct me!
I hope some people will be inspired to rebuild the finals themselve.

Hugo
jd 350 mannheim build

stmftr395
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by stmftr395 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:51 am

Hugo; I also am new to the crawler repair business. I am rebuilding a 1010c. After reading your post I am wondering if I have made a mistake. When I installed and adjusted the pressure plate I removed the clips as you discribed, although I did not reinstall them as the pressure plates that were removed did not have them in place either. Hopefully some one with more experience will clear this up as I am reassembling the other final drive and would prefer to use the correct procedure. Any help will be appreciated . Mark

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:28 pm

I can't give you a definitive answer as to why the clips are there, they were never a factory item, you only see them on aftermarket or rebuilt pressure plate. While there is surely no harm in reinstalling them, all mine go in the scrap dumpster.
Lavoy

stmftr395
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by stmftr395 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:57 am

Lavoy; You made my day. I was not looking forward to pulling the final off to replace the clips which I may or may not have been able to find! Mark

hugo
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by hugo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:03 pm

I can't give you a definitive answer as to why the clips are there, they were never a factory item, you only see them on aftermarket or rebuilt pressure plate. While there is surely no harm in reinstalling them, all mine go in the scrap dumpster.
Lavoy
Hi,
in service manual 2063 page 140-20-1. These clips are discribed as: Return clips. So I think they are factory made.
I think they are a little bit extra to keep the 'clutch release lever' on his place.

hugo
jd 350 mannheim build

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:14 pm

If by clips you mean springs on the fingers, they are probably just to keep the throwout bearing from rattling. I'd put them in but if they weren't there I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:54 am

I maybe should have qualified what I said. There were never factory installed on the two cylinder or 1010 crawlers. I have had NOS pressure plates over the years, and they did not have them.
Lavoy