My 40 c after winning a bet

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

My 40 c after winning a bet

Post by digitup2 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:12 pm

I told a customer last fall that my 40c was only 20 HP but it could pull a full silage wagon with ease he laughed at me and the bet was on .I told them after [That was just easy money ]There 40c tractor would not even pull empty wagons well .So I had just come from the field and we were puting some air in a wagon tire when the photo was taken by his wife .I just got this last week from them when I was away down south .Thought I would share this one with you .Digitup.

Ray
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Ray » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:48 pm

Good going.
He should have known better than to even question it.

It isn't just horsepower that moves the load.
It includes weight, gearing & traction.

Nice crawler. .. Ray

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:16 pm

The gut with the cast is a butcher by trade dosen't know much about what a crawler will do but he has a 40 tractor in the shed .He couldn't belive his eyes when I started in second and hit third The tractor is geared differently and the crawler has an advantage beeing closer to the ground as well .The 40 tractor just wanted to make the pinion gear crawl up the crown the way it acted . When I got to the barn he was in love with it .His son on the other side was the loser of the bet .Yes I stll haven't done anything to it since I bought it but one of these days .I told the wife that I am going to take a year off to finish all my projects. .Digitup.

mailtrain
430 crawler
430 crawler

winning the bet

Post by mailtrain » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Have to say that is a good looking 40c. Looks better than my 430c does at this time. Who is the old guy on the seat? As if we don't know. Mailtrain

sbarr
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by sbarr » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 am

Amazing the power of these little crawlers,I remember my dad pulling a triaxle Kenworth stuck to the axles out with the 420,the ower of the truck couldn't believe it!!
58 420c w 61 blade and 3pth and pto,57 420c w loader,48 D,48 M,Allis D-15 and a Super Duty to haul these!!!!

cowboy4996
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by cowboy4996 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:48 am

When I was in high school, I got the pickup and 18 ft 5th wheel trailer loaded with barley stuck in the soft end of the grain field. Trailer was resting in the axles. Dad sent me after the MC,,,,guy running the combine started laughing when he saw that. Told us we were wasting our time.
Dad didn't say anything..just let the clutch out..and at about 1/2 throttle pulled me right out..without missing a beat. Left the combine operator speechless. (which was hard to do) Taught me a lesson about weight and traction. I still have the MC...it's a work in progress.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:36 pm

I cleaned up an old building for a old guy . He and his son told me there was scrap metal in it .I could see a sprocket and track sticking out from under a pile of pool liner in the building with roof colapsed on that .I pulled the roof off with the 160 excavator and there they were .The 40c and the sweetest little Cocshott 20 tractor .I told the guy I have to buy these tractors from you .He says just get them out of here with the rest of the scrap.I gave him 600 bucks and sold the 20 before I got home with it .I draged them on the float with the excavator both needed a good tune up to run .Coming home from the tuneup I took the photos I posted quite a while ago [Pictures of my 40c].I have looked at several blades for this 40 but none were in nice shape . So to this day I keep looking for a John Deere blade I have bought and sold several old Deeres since but this one is sticking around .I went into a bush that was just a swamp hole and pulled a log out that was 330 board feet of lumber in one pice you could not walk through the area with a chainsaw with out sinking to your nees and it pulled the log no problem .If I had anything to pull around I would probably not have been able to do it straight helps and the 40 was just starting to lose traction but like you say half throttle and easy dose it I think the 5 roller u/c helps a lot also in snow and swamp .Some where around I have a photo of my youngest daughter romping across 3 feet of hard based snow covered field .Digitup.

sbarr
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by sbarr » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Nothing like a crawler in snow!!!I had my 420loader out around Christmas cleaning up packed snow in the driveways when I took a notion to head across the deep powder (about 2-3'),4th gear wide open ,just like driving on a cloud,ha,ha.Since then we had 2 big thaws and lost alot of the snow but now gained alot more back,big storm right now ,calling for 40-50cm by morning,might have to get the crawler out tommorow and try the snow out again,might be too much now.We are very close to beating the snow record this year!(think the record was around 440cm in 1970-71)
58 420c w 61 blade and 3pth and pto,57 420c w loader,48 D,48 M,Allis D-15 and a Super Duty to haul these!!!!

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:25 am

We got the top end of that storm had 18 inches but north of here they got just a skiff .I was pushing the stuff since 1.30 this morning at the local airport with my Sterling single axle .I bought this truck to keep others busy and I am the only one crazy enough to run it .I am sick of winging snow this year !! We have two loaders out and a Dozer pushing at the snow dump at this moment The young lad is just 19 now and taking on some responsibility this winter but I keep geting stuck on that darn'd truck . Digitup.