Adventures in rebuilding the 1956 420-C .

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 am

Ray III wrote:Hot tank? Just find a steam cleaner (pressure washer with a boiler). Those things will remove paint and radiator fins.
Ray, I wish I had a steam cleaner. I have bid on several over the years but when the bids get ridiculous I drop out. Steam cleaning would save a step but since I have the material and the time I can build the hot tank and have it around for other projects also.
Running all the parts through the hot tank will save me the time it would take to clean them in the parts washer, and at $105 a fill now that is a lot of money, the final drive parts from the crawler I have cleaned wiped out the last batch of solvent in the tank. I need to get ten gallons of solvent and clean my parts washer also. The solvent never goes on sale where I buy it, I am lucky that they keep it in stock at least.
This is the tank that will become my hot tank. I will add legs, and use a propane burner to heat it with.
This end cap will be removed, and the other end will be the bottom of the tank. I am thinking of adding a removable grate to the bottom to set the parts on so I can do multiple smaller parts at one time.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

MADJACK
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by MADJACK » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Very nice, great thread. I'm really enjoying following this.

I have two of the same lathe that I picked up as a package deal in parts and plan to fix up, nice size lathe.

waterman28
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by waterman28 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Lu47Dan
(This end cap will be removed, and the other end will be the bottom of the tank.)

Why not lay the tank on its side cut an access door in it. It wouldn't be as tall to load parts into.
Scott
JD 1010 Crawler
Ferguson TO 30
Case 580C
996 David Brown

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:15 am

MADJACK wrote:Very nice, great thread. I'm really enjoying following this.

I have two of the same lathe that I picked up as a package deal in parts and plan to fix up, nice size lathe.
Thanks, Jack. The lathe has been a big help on numerous projects.
waterman28 wrote:Lu47Dan
(This end cap will be removed, and the other end will be the bottom of the tank.)

Why not lay the tank on its side cut an access door in it. It wouldn't be as tall to load parts into.
Scott
Scott, There are two reasons for the tank to stand on end are, one I can heat it with a single burner , and two the fluid will rise through the center frame and allow the crud to drop out of it. I have several 275 oil tanks that I could use as a hot tank but they would require several burners and the larger parts would have to be turned several time to get the crud out of them. If the hot tank would be a one time use project I would use a oil tank and scrap it once I am done with it, but I have several projects that I will need it for in the future so it is worth building it now.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Just a little update.

Post by Lu47Dan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Since I have a free weekend, no other peoples projects needing my attention, I have decided to get to building the hot tank. I have the plans drawn up and need to build a big set of pipe rollers to spin the tank on to cut off the top of it. I decided that those will be the first project tomorrow.
The pipe rollers will be built from two short pieces of W flange beam I have in inventory. The actual rollers will be 4, five inch casters that will be welded to the top flange of the beam. Once the tank is loaded onto the rollers I can level it to do my dividing to space the legs 120 degrees apart and weld the legs on it, once two legs are welded on then the tank will have to be transferred to fab stands to weld the final leg in place.
Operating the tank is fairly simple, load the part you need cleaned, fill with water and add lye to cut the grease. Bring the water temperature up to about 150 to 160, maintain at that temperature for a few hours and check the part. When the caked on dust and grease is gone it has been in long enough. Skim the nasties off the surface of the water, and remove the part(s) from the tank. Pressure wash the part to remove the residual lye and oil. Sandblast to remove any stubborn paint and rust.
I looked at a commercial hot tank but the price was to steep.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Dan,
What are you going to do with the lye solution left in the tank when you are done? How long can you leave it in the tank before it eats the tank? I supose it would be good weed killer, I wonder what agent orange was made of??? :shock:

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Agent Orage was 2,4,5T herbicide, I believe a relative of 2,4D.
Lavoy

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:48 pm

CELSESSER wrote:Dan,
What are you going to do with the lye solution left in the tank when you are done? How long can you leave it in the tank before it eats the tank? I supose it would be good weed killer, I wonder what agent orange was made of??? :shock:

Chuck
Chuck, I will boil the solution down and dispose of it properly. :shock: :)
I managed to dig out the steel today to start on the pipe rollers, but got side tracked on mowing the yard and weeding the flower bed, that took longer than expected today.
I have to drill the holes for the leveling studs and weld on the nuts tomorrow if I have the time.
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Dan,
We deal with lye and potassium hydroxide in the production of biodeisel. Both NAOH and KOH are nasty chemicals. Get it in your eyes and it will eat your cornias off, inhale the dust or fumes and you burn your lungs.
Don't be afraid of it, just respect it - wear proper goggles and a good mask. read up on how to mix it.
The sludge byproduct of Biodiesel production is basically soap that is neutral pH(but it will kill any weed you pour it on). The sludge that you will end up with will still be pretty caustic I would think. Be carefull with it on that end too.

Good luck with it!

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Chuck, I have a disposal site that will take the sludge from the tank and send it to treatment, so getting rid of the sludge will not be a problem.
I have worked around pure sodium hydroxide at a paper mill, not fun stuff to be around. I know the hazards of these chemicals and respect their ability to do me harm. I will take proper measures when mixing the sodium hydroxide into the water.
Since the main object of this tank is to eradicate the years of built up engine oil and dust from the inside of the center frame, all I have to have is a good steady steep of the parts not a rolling boil the hazards will be reduced to acceptable levels.
I ordered my final drive axle seals today and they will be here maybe by next Thursday. The Deere dealer I ordered them from has one on the shelf and the other will be in there warehouse on Monday and then they will ship them to me. I could drive up and pick them up but I am working to the south of here and I would most likely burn more money up in gas then the cost of shipping them.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Seals have arrived!

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:16 am

I ordered the seals on the sixth of August and the waiting began, the seals were supposed to be here by the thirteenth of August. I got tired of waiting on them and called the dealership lats Friday, the 27th of August and asked about them. :?
The parts man, checked the computer and my order was on it, they had not yet bill my credit card, or shipped out the parts. The computer showed they were in and they should have been shipped out. He shipped them to me UPS Next Day Air and they came this morning.
Now when I get the final drive housing cleaned up and painted I can start assembly of the crawler.
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Best laid.........

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:42 pm

plans of mice and men.
Every time I get started something else came up to stop the progress on the hot tank, now I am fighting the snow this winter. So far this winter we have had about 72" of snow, about 48" of it in a week. :shock: Right now we have about 16" of snow on the ground.
Some of the projects that held me up where rebuilding the north wall of my shop, you could throw a large cat through it :lol: , replacing the chimney for my oil boiler, cutting down some trees that were being shaded out by two larger trees, remodeling my bedroom, keeping the grass cut, and numerous other small projects. I have started getting the area where the major parts of the crawler is stored ready to set up the garage in a box so I can start sandblasting the track frames after I get my work bay straightened out and cleaned up.
Then I can build the hot tank and start cleaning parts. I am planning on hot tanking the final drive housings, the steering clutch housings , the center frame and maybe the transmission case. I hope the hot tank will remove the grease, oil, and paint from them and save me time on the sandblasting.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:35 pm

hello, please take plenty of pictures of the seals and bearings. thats were mine sets now,do i need a tool to put the seals in? will keep watching your progress. thanks Eric..

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Eric, there is a special tool to install the seal and carrier on the axle shaft. I had four made from aluminum and sold three and kept one.
Bill Watson makes them from PVC, here is a link to the thread that they are shown in.
http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... l&start=30
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:35 pm

THANK YOU! I WILL CONTACT BILL FOR THE TOOL. ERIC..