Adventures in rebuilding the 1956 420-C .

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:52 am

Lavoy , Thanks for the information . I just went to JDparts and checked on the nut and it is still available and has a 90 degree cone seat on them . I can probably find the right tooling to replicate the seat after repairing the holes . If you have an undamaged side frame could you check and see how deep the seat goes into the side frame for me as both sides of mine are damaged .
Tigerhaze , if a mouse can fit it's head through a gap it can squeeze the rest of it's body through . Had one get into a subpanel in a buddies shop when he removed some wiring and did not plug the holes . I had a lot of fun :evil: replacing that panel when it finally fried :evil: . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Dan,

I see now why you needed that cover. :lol:

Larry
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:22 pm

I looked for the cat but did not find it, like trying to find Waldo in all that stuff. If you continue to post pictures of your pack-rat compound I may be tempted to show up when you're not around and go fishing.

Standard procedure for bringing disabled equipment into the shop:
1) Drag in with a chain
2) Remove chain
3) Extract field mice and angry yellow jackets

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:56 am

Larry , I had one fill up a gas tank that I had cleaned and lined for a friend of mine for his ditch witch , I had set it upside down outside of the shop to let the liner cure , when he stopped to pick it up about three weeks later the mouse had built a nest in it . Quick little buggers and just having one cat does not keep up with them .
Ray. Look for the red circles she blends in real well .
Right under the gear shifter .
Another picture . She has been a good killer cat over the years .
The pack-rat compound is from many years of gathering pipe , machinery , left over steel from construction jobs , and various sundry items . There is quite a lot of inventory out there , some has to go to the scrap yard before the new shop goes up and the rest needs sorted and an inventory done so I know what is out there .
Yellowjackets were not as big a problem this year as they were in prior years but I still had to go on the offensive against three nest , one in the block walls of the house and two in trees that were where we mow . Two years ago we had fourteen nests that had to be removed over the summer .
Also had a swarm of honeybees this year , they arrived just before dark and moved on the next morning . I got rid of all the apiary supplies years ago so I could not catch them . It would have been nice to have a supply of honey again . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 am

Dan,

I feel right at home. You shop looks like mine.

Larry
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:04 am

Larry , a lot of my work is done outside of my shop , tear downs are usually done out on the gravel . I need a bigger shop but the cost of the ground work has held me up for years . I plan to build a bigger shop next summer that is one reason I bought the crawler . Clean up my steel piles and sell the real scrap and organize the good steel , once the truck is back together . Still waiting on the fixed hone to come in , maybe today , then the engine can go back together . :) Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:19 pm

I used to have a little calico like that,she was a tiny cat,about 8 or 9 lbs but was the best "mouser" we ever had.
once in a while, she would try to bring a rabbit bigger than her in the house.....wife didn't care for that too much.

NNAATZ
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by NNAATZ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:23 am

get a cat door, then wait and see what you wake up to :evil:

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:03 pm

NNAATZ , notice I said shop cat , she has a cat door into the shop and she has a habit of bringing here kills into the shop to show us what she has caught . If I am not outside or in the shop she will come to the side door and call to us until somebody comes and acknowledges her prize , then she will take the prize away and eat it . If I have not been around for a few days I might have six or eight chipmunk tails laying on the shop floor in front of my welding equipment :lol: . I will put up with disposing of the tails and a few carcasses to keep the shop free of mice .
mini kahuna , the cat before her was another calico that was as good a mouser as she is . Her only bad habit is she wants up on your lap if you set down . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi,

What? Can't weld with chimpunk tails?? :lol:

I have ten cats on our farm. Well, make that twelve cats now. We had nine until our oldest daughter had us cat-sit hers - open ended timeframe, of course - and it turns out she didn't get her fixed. Now we have twelve as of four weeks ago! :P

We have a cat door. Actually, two cat doors. The first runs into the 2-car attached garage I have outfitted as my electonics shop. The other runs from the e-shop into the laundry room and then on to the kitchen.

We get lots of 'presents'. Fortunately most of them get left in the e-shop. :)

Talking about how the little ones are the best hunters. My smallest, maybe 5 pounds wet, is a female and my largest, over 20 pounds, is a male and they tag-team things (literally) to death. The big one runs something past where the little one is hiding and - surprise - mandibles of death. If the critter in question is too much for the little girl, then the big boy comes along presently and - it's curtains anyway.

We have field mice that run nearly as large as the little one. They don't stand a chance, though. Those are some fearsome predators that we let sleep on our laps.....

I won't even get into how the cats tag-team things with our two Labs. Darndest thing I ever saw, though. Dogs and cats hunting together......

Later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:01 pm

I did not get much done this last week as I severely stubbed my little toe last Sunday , went to the doctor on Monday . He said it was not broken but maybe I had dislocated it . :evil: I could not stand or work for several days last week , once I could stand for some period of time I did get the one cross member scaled and ready for sandblasting . As always OPP (other peoples projects) rear their ugly heads . Hope to get more done this week . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:48 pm

Well I got the lathe home , so work can restart on the crawler soon
Front view .
There are more pictures here of the lathe .
http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14 ... 3%20Lathe/
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

Bret4207
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Bret4207 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:22 pm

What? No snow?!!!! :shock:
40C, 420C, 1010C-L-BH, Cat D4

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

LOL

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:10 am

Bret , the pictures were taken a couple a of days before the snow started again here . I have a snow pile eight to ten feet high , sixteen feet wide , and about 30 feet long close to where the trailer was parked when the pictures were taken . :lol: :P
This is the first year in a longtime that I am sick of snow :!: :roll: :x It can stop anytime now . Might be different If I had the crawler up and running :? .
I got the Lathe in the shop just before , a few hours before , the show started in earnest again .
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

Bret4207
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Bret4207 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:43 pm

I knew there had to be snow. We've got about 3 feet of "Global Warming" on the ground here. Nice lathe, I trained on a Le Blond and a Clausing similar to that. I'm trying to find something along those lines as I'm beating my little Atlas 6" to death. I found an Index Mill and a 13" Frejoth lathe in a package deal, but I'm short $$$$. Sure would be handy!
40C, 420C, 1010C-L-BH, Cat D4