what she looks like now

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
cliff
MC crawler
MC crawler

what she looks like now

Post by cliff » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:36 pm

I have always worked on cars and trucks my whole life but ever since I drug this old jd crawler out of the bushes I can't stop playing with it. need help though

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Looks like a early model MC. based on the track pads. Serial number should be on data plate just below the ignition switch. If you can find the serial number then you can find the year in which it was built. There is only one size of the MC. The track pads will vary from early model to late and there was a change in the hyd pump also. Your track pads look like there are from a early model I have a parts manual that an uncle gave me years ago and a Model M manual operators manual and a IT shop service manual that I gotr off of EBay. They are really help full. It looks like the Hyd controls are home built, but they should work real good. My controls are also home built. I bought my MC in Idaho in 78 or 79. still running good. Your actually looks better. I don't think the MC had the yellow stripe on the hood. May be from a later model

Have fun with it. :D
1949 MC
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:06 pm

The early model Hyd pumps were built in two sections and the later pumps were in three pieces.
1949 MC

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:12 pm

I can not tell from the picture but are there 3 or four grease fitting on the side rails? MC's only had three. the 40c had 4. they are grease fittings for the rollers. just below the push rams for the blade.
1949 MC

cliff
MC crawler
MC crawler

problems

Post by cliff » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:01 pm

thanx i will make shure i hit those grease fittings. lol i was out today draining the drives on bolth sides whitch by the way of corse had water in them, and decided to flush the hydrolics well need less to say i blew out a hyd. line i am going to go up to my old work and look around in there grave yard of fork lifts to see if i can find somthing similar. i was just wondering though how much the clutches and brakes run for somthing like this or where could i find out .
I have always worked on cars and trucks my whole life but ever since I drug this old jd crawler out of the bushes I can't stop playing with it. need help though

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:19 am

The best place for clutch parts is right on this site.

on the bottom of the housings on both sides that the clutches are in should be a drain hole. make sure that it is not pluged and full of water also. the fiber clutch disks soak up water and swell and slip. In our weather here in the northwest, inside storgage is a must for machinery. :!:
1949 MC