440 project

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 project

Post by bent » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Hello, finally able to get to my 440 after a long absence. I now have it moving under its own power. I removed the head and had it rebuilt. Also, had the radiator re-cored as well as new coil, points, condensor. Here is a picture waiting to load up at my house to be moved to my new shop at the farm where I will be able to use a chain hoist and have access to all my tools. I started a post a while back (a while) showing pictures of what I started with, but they are gone now. I don't want to take up space but if anyone is interested I can send those to you.
Brent

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:39 am

bent , you could post at least a couple of pictures to give us an idea of what it looked like when you started on it .
Here is a link to the original thread , I think .

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... highlight=
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:01 am

Brent,
I was wondering where you disappeard to, haven't heard from you in a while.
Lavoy

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:21 am

Here is what I started out with. It was not running at all but would turn over thats about it. I had a 1010 which I sold and took this thing on trade. It needs alot, but thats the fun of it I guess.

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:32 am

I have been checking in on the site quite frequently, just keeping incognito, but have been following along with everyone's projects. I have a real shop to work in now, probably won't be as much fun as working outside but we'll see. Next phase is going to be to drop the winch and get at the final drives. It steers but not that great. I don't want to disable the machine, however, because now I can go drive it around, might have to do that a couple more times!! before the tracks come off. Hopefully tonight it will get moved into the farm shop. Also, tommorow theres an auction with a 440 about the same serial number range I might attand and take the trailer just in case.

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 pm

Ok, so everything went very well tonight, the 440 fired right up and I took one last drive around, maybe the last one for a while! I work at slow speed at the best of times, and you never know when work or romance or life will get in the way of working on the crawler. So anyway here is the 440 in its home for a while, in my newly renovated and heated farm shop.
Image[/img]