Is this a JD 420 C ?

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
jonnyfrog
MC crawler
MC crawler

Is this a JD 420 C ?

Post by jonnyfrog » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:36 pm

My father passed away last fall and I am tasked with tying up the loose ends. One of which is finding a new home for his crawler. I believe it to be a John Deere 420C as that is what is written on the instrument gauge. I'm guessing mid 50's vintage. If anyone can help to determine what this machine is, what you think it is worth and how I can go about selling it I would greatly appreciate it. It is in running order and we uploaded a short video to you tube.
Thank you.

Jon Denney
jonnyfrog@gmail.com or PM please.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOFUsdSiZZc
Last edited by jonnyfrog on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randynscottsboro
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Randynscottsboro » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Check these two beauties out.
Randy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ruJ921A_10&NR=1
2130 HFWD
1120 JD
Case SC
1846 Case skidsteer
2030 JD
450 JD
350 Case crawler
3110D Yanmar

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:28 pm

thats a really nice looking 420! im not sure of an asking price but with the outside angle blade and the winch, this is what alot of people look for, the track pads look great to,all that together with the canopy make for one sweet dozer! you may be sorry that you had to sell it..wish it was mine. Eric

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:08 am

That appears to be a 420, can't tell the exact vintage, but it is 56-58. That is a Gearmatic blade, as well as Gearmatic winch and canopy.
Lavoy

jonnyfrog
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jonnyfrog » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks for the replies. This website is an excellent resource.

Where would I find a seriel number to refrence the year it was built? Not that it really matters, I am just curious. In the well where your left foot goes there is a large number ... something like M4001T... not sure that is the exact number, I'm going on memory here.

Now that we have determined what it is, how much should I ask for it?.... ballpark estimates are fine.

I am thinking of starting with craigslist and ebay to list it for sale. Does anyone know of an equiptment website more specific to listing something like this for sale? It is currently on Salt Spring island in British Columbia Canada. (Located between Vancouver and Victoria)

Thanks again.

Jon

I would love to hang on to it and restore it even, but it would take up most of my front yard. I no longer live on the acerage we grew up on. Hate to see it go, but what can you do?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 am

Serial number will be on the LH side of the casting between the engine and the transmission, or on the LH side of the bellhousing roughly under the sediment bowl.
As to selling it, post in on here, I suppose I am predjudiced, but I think you will get a pretty crawler specific audience here. Location might be a factor for you unfortunately. Freight out of your area will likely be pricey, especially if it is coming South across the border.
Lavoy

jonnyfrog
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jonnyfrog » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks Lavoy,

I'll look for the ID plate.

If anyone in BC or Washington state is looking for a crawler to buy let me know.

Thanks.

Jon