Repair of JDB injector pump.

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Larry 8N75381
40C crawler
40C crawler

Repair of JDB injector pump.

Post by Larry 8N75381 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:03 pm

I have put up a series of photos that I took when I repaired (NOT rebuilt) the pump for my JD350. They are located at http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5767 ... t=outdoors I plan on commenting each image but wanted to post the URL now so it could be viewed by anyone contemplating repairing a pump.

I am making a distinction between repair and rebuild since I did not open up the pump end of the pump where the feed pump is or "mess with" the high pressure pump. The fiber retaining ring for the governor weight retainer had broken. As it disintegrated fibers from it blocked the check valve in the fuel return line. This cut off the fuel so the engine would start and IMMEDIATELY die.

I removed the pump, a JOB just by itself! Took it apart (not by the "book") so I could get at the governor weight retainer and replace it. I did replace various "O"-rings as I put it back together, though most of the rings looked in excellent shape. I don't think the pump had that many hours on it. The shaft bushing in side the front of the pump had no detectable groove where the umbrella seals rub so I left it in and reused the seals. Where are two images of the remains of the retaining ring. And the plugged check valve.
ImageImage

What I did was sort of like replacing the friction disk in the clutch, a repair. Where even though you might have the engine and transmission apart, you would not rebuild the engine if it did not need it.
Oliver OC-4 Dozer, '67 Ford 3000, '48 Ford 8N75381, '67 JD 350 Loader

Flatheadyoungin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flatheadyoungin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:17 pm

This is very timely for me...I was just getting ready to post a thread........

I've been through the ringer with this thing, spent the WHOLE take taking the pump off and on, blowing out fuel lines, etc.......on the last time, I saw the little chunks of rubber under my timing window.....

This has to be it....starts right up and then die like you cut the switch.......has a new fuel pump, etc....

I just go the umbrella washers installed correctly and then this hits! :roll:

Thanks for sharing!

Flatheadyoungin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flatheadyoungin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:33 pm

couple of questions...

1. what type of grease did you use on the umbrella seals? i just put diesel fuel on my finger and slathered them up....

2. how do you "bump" your flywheel around....i'm sure i took about 3 years worth of life out of my starter by bumping it......and, i'm afraid it's gonna shear the end off of the little pin.....

3. is there more than one timing hole in the flywheel? i'm going to shoot some spray paint back in there when i find it again.......hurts the fingers when it snaps by the pin and jars it in your fingers.....

thanks for all of the extra shots....i started doing that in another thread but never finished it.....

4. looks like i need to order that special wrench.....i think bristol wrench? seems like i ordered it and they just sent me a torx bit that i already have......i also have the umbrella tool........any others i need for the job?

thanks again!

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:03 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Mon May 27, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

Flatheadyoungin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flatheadyoungin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 am

oops......it's a 450C

ok, i tried the screwdriver and like you said it was slow......

yeah, if you use the starter; 1 it's hard on it i'm sure and 2 it slams in to the hole and i was afraid it would sheer it off......another problem.....

i didn't see something that i could turn around the pump off of the end of the crank but, then again, it's out on the property and i can't pressure wash all the dirt off of it to help me see it......

thanks!