420C Value? --It's Finally Home!!

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
PlowMan
MC crawler
MC crawler

420C Value? --It's Finally Home!!

Post by PlowMan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 pm

I have found a 420C Industrial color crawler. Original owner since new.

Specs are:

10in pads
4 rollers
90% or better overall condition undercarriage
Only used as a sprayer tractor on a wheat farm
Three point hitch (all there)
All service records on file since new in 1957
Original 2153Hrs
Runs and drives
Very solid!

What is something like this worth?

Never has had a blade installed!

I would paint the crawler green if I get it, or would it be better off Ind Yellow?

Thanks
Last edited by PlowMan on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Hard to say.. but 3 points are very rare and I for one would love to have one myself. I don't know if industrial paint makes it more rare but I have not seen very many yellow 420's, look around and scratch a bit somewhere and see if it has been painted. I would guess if it was really an accurate description of its condition that 6-7k or more would not be out of line. Drawbar/3pt machines generally have a much easier life than the same machine with a loader or blade taking years of abuse. A decent 420 with a blade around my area brings 3-4k, and no showpiece by any means. I would say buy the machine for whatever you have to give him...start by saying you'll give him what he paid!!! I would give 5K in a heartbeat...sight unseen. I would say you better buy it!!! Or tell me where it's it! :lol:

If you do get it- leave or repaint it yellow again if that was its original color, otherwise back to green.

Also- There was an original 420 toplink (ONLY) on ebay that got up near 2k I think about a week ago and did not make reserve...$$$

PlowMan
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by PlowMan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Swawpy

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up getting the crawler. I paid under $800 for it as you see in the pics.

I have to wait till the ground firms up a bit before I load it up.

I just have to find the top link for the hitch and I'll be set.

Were the 420's painted yellow at the factory? or was that an option at the end of assembly.

I like'em green but if the value is more being factory yellow then maybe yellow it will stay.
Image[/img]

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:24 am

What interesting steering arms you have. Mine are straight, both left and right. Maybe some one can chip in on the style that you have?

Yes you could get a deere in yellow or green from the factory. Fortunately your yellow is more uniform than mine was.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:42 am

That looks like it could be from the factory and orginal paint, but it takes a good close inspection to figure out of it is original.
Things like no over spray on the serial number tag and other places will help guide you.
If it is original paint, it will keep the highest value if you never touch it with paint.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:51 am

Hi,

Sometimes the paint is mixed at the factory, too. My 420c has a direction reverser that was yellow to start with, but overpainted green at the factory. My uncle sold it new in 58, and my dad got it from the original owner in 66, so we know that the reverser is the one that was in there from day one.

The machine was ordered as a ag model, 5-roller with 62 blade and reverser. The original owner was a dairy farmer and wanted it for barn cleaning. By 66 the acids had eaten the pins and bushings, so he wanted to trade it in on a wheel tractor with front-end loader. When it came in, dad called 'dibs' and then rebuilt the tracks. We've had it ever since.

Well, as we all know, ag models are green. I suspect that the reverser was carried over from the industrial side of the factory, given an overcoat of ag green paint, and then installed. No other part of the machine has yellow paint under the green, just the reverser.

Your machine, though, was probably yellow from the start, but you might find green under the yellow on the 3-pt. That option was probably carried to the industrial side of the factory to the ag side and given an overcoat of yellow paint before it was put on the crawler. :P

In any case, you're going to have fun figuring it out. If it is an ind machine from the get-go it'll be pretty rare. An industrial machine with no blade or loader but with a 3-pt. I've never seen or heard of that combination before....

Later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:41 am

Normally side by side option for option, a yellow crawler will not bring the money of a green crawler. Paint was merely an option code, no production figures for it exist unless you looked at every single crawler in the production log.
When they went to the tin shifter cover and straight shifter, they put the bend in the right hand steering lever so it was easier to reach the shifter.
Nice find, I'll double your money if you don't want it any more. :lol:
Lavoy

PlowMan
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by PlowMan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Interesting info guys. I appreciate it. I am leaning to the green side of the paint. There is so many industrial shades of yellow. If it were to be yellow I would want to find out the proper shade to paint it.

Now, I know where there is a 3 bottom 55 ABH plow that's going to make a great companion for the 420.

How many of you guys have pads like this? 10in?

Plowman

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Unless you used a loaded weapon when negotiating the deal :lol: , I would urge you not not allow the horseshoe to fall out of your butt. Many of us look forever and never find a crawler in that good of condition for near that price.
Let's just hope the seller does not get on this site, he will be sick for a long time.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

PlowMan
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by PlowMan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:51 pm

No weapon needed. I have been after this crawler for 10 or so years. Every year I put the bug in the guys ear when working on his combines. "How much would you sell that crawler for?"

Persistence payed off I guess.

All of the service records are written on the side panel in pencil next to the grill. Oxidized paint makes a great note pad! I will get a pic of that later.

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:45 pm

What a deal!!! But you better scrounge around and search high and low for that toplink. I agree on the green paint machines...but I recently aquired a 440ic and the yellow is growing on me- different, but they still can have a classic deere look. I have been looking for a 3 pt crawler for a long time with no luck, enjoy.

PlowMan
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by PlowMan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I also have this MC-2 plow I found this past summer. Would be great for the MC 1000 toolbar if I had one.
Not sure what I am going to do with it.

Any Ideas?

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm

That plow was a hard enough find let alone the crawler.I had a scrap colecter drive up to the shop and set a 2 furrow John Deererope trip trail plow with cast wheels on it in working condition and real need of sand blasting .He wanted it's weight in cast in return [that is easy enough to find around behind my shop ]I gave him four times that no problem .He has set several off since just not Deere.My 40c has no blade either so a plow is a nice tool to show it off at the shows .The 3 point hitch on your's would be a nice addition as well nice find .Barn finds are out there but you just got to get in the right place without gettin shot.I know where a 420c is just north of my farm and was taken apart in the middle of his shop floor thirty years ago[trany problems] never to be put back together .The old guy is 90 and his son is a retired doctor and next of kin dont want it so I have been pushin to buy it.patience!!. Digitup.

PlowMan
MC crawler
MC crawler

It's home!

Post by PlowMan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Finally went and brought the ol 420 home. I had to wait till the ground would firm up a bit. Major wet spring here! After several attempts to get it running, pulled plugs, drained carb, and bowl, new fuel, unstuck the float, new battery she took right off! Only on one cylinder!

I had encountered this problem with my Model A years ago and it turned out to be a champion spark plug issue. I found the spare used set of plugs and they were Delco's and installed them and it took right off on both cylinders! I hate champion plugs!

Any way I found all the three point stuff! It is a 5speed too!

Loading it on the truck.

All service records written on the tractor in various places! Great service history!

All the goodies out back! the top link has never been on or adjusted/moved/used from the factory!

After five hours of digging and washing it is finally Home!
Image[/img]

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:58 am

interesting how they cut the frame rails down. Took off the stone guards, removed the sprocket shields. Added some mount on front for some kind of job. Took out the center idler that supports the track on the return (both sides).

Like that toolbox! History is nice too, no awards, but good for knowing. Also nice meat still on rear sprockets, wish mine were so healthy.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4