440IC Project Assessment

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Al
MC crawler
MC crawler

440IC Project Assessment

Post by Al » Wed May 04, 2011 10:07 pm

I bought a 1959 440IC about a year ago.
Equiped with:
1) Reverser
2) Big 5spd
3) Gearmatic 8A winch with remote lever but missing hydaulic lines.
4) 602 blade

Initial assesment:
1) It has been used
2) Someone at one time put a little money into it
3) Engine clutch frozen
4) Steering clutches work but brakes don't. One side worked slightly.
5) Quite a bit of blowby (smoke out the breather)
6) Hydraulic cylinders leak
7) Sprokets have been welded on to orig wheels
8) Looked like track chains have been replaced (2 bolt hole Berco links)
9) Track frames well worn at front idlers

First thing I wanted to do was get the steering and engine clutch working. I found what appeared to be the master pins since they stuck out a bit and one was welded to the rail. Spent a couple of weekends trying to get them out. Eventually did after buying a torch but it took its toll on my attitude, so I played around with my motorcycles instead. Now almost a year later I am back at it.

As I am dissasembling and breaking bolts I am also assessing if this deserves my money and effort. So I will post picks of the problem areas. I really like these old 2 cylinders, especially the 440 when it comes to crawlers.

So far the good new is the steering clutches look new, the bushings, pins and rails are rusty but dimensions appear to be new. The brake bands would probably also look new if they had been installed right, I am assuming they didn't get them on sqaure. I'll post pics.

This is how it looked after I brought it home:

Here it is as it sits now:

Brake Band:

Pressure plate and a clutch disk you can still read the part number on. It looks like part of the pressure plate was rubbing on the clutch hub, I assume this is not normal, can this be adjusted?

Font idler componenets worn and it looks like someone tried to build up the idler, does anyone know what the diameter of the wheel is supposed to be where the rails ride on it? Left track frame appears to be a little tweaked, not sure about the right.

No pic but I think 6 of the lower rollers have had the guides broken off, now just rings flopin around.

Here is a good thing, rails are in good shape, don't know how tall the pads are supposed to be but they appear to be pretty worn:
Can even see the berco stamp:

Back casting of the generator is cracked:

Right front idler bracket has been welded:

Very pitted adjuster tubes:

Looks like radiator has been "repaired":

Can't figure out how to get cable out of winch:

Shouldn't there be more holes in the track frames and adjuster base? Too bad they are filled with broken bolts....

Are those front idlers correct, they may appear solid but it looks like they have had disks welded to them and I can hear grit or weld or ? falling around in them when I rotate them. I see a solid looking one in my parts manual AT 12195 T is this what they are?

Still assessing, input welcome.
1937 B
1959 440CI
1966 110
1973 140 H3

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

the good, the bad, and the ugly

Post by pop pop » Fri May 06, 2011 10:07 am

well it looks like you got somewhat of a mixed bag, but all good, alot of work, isn't it. :wink: you might as well torch every bolt on that undercarriage, will save you weeks of busting them loose, they'll be too crappy to use again anyway.
i wasted 3 weeks doing it the hard way, only to end up cutting 1/2 of them, and then,all new bolts anyway.
(except the crossarm bolts, work them loose cause they're into the casting and you might not get them out )no need to take them off unless they need rebuild)
the manual will tell you what size the bolts were,,
your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to drop it all to the floor in one day...(you got a good start)
then you can rebuild your front rails, rollers.tension tube can be replaced with new pipe/probably seals too, ,,,,hmmm, ya, alot of work...
and doing it all will give you the satisfaction of knowing its all good and won't be a problem when you finally get it out to play/work. :lol:
i did it all and now its good, straight and true with shiny parts ,painted, and now easy to work on cause of the new bolts.
but i dont have a winch, so your on your own there. :roll: good luck, take a deep breath and walk away at times,,, :x :P
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Fri May 06, 2011 10:15 am

oops,posted twice , edited once :oops:
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry: