New to me 350C

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Martin

To get at the castle nut you do in fact have to pull the final off. If you look in the first picture there is a circular cavity below the steering clutch/brake in the steering clutch housing. This is where the castle nut sits. It is bathed in the transmission/final drive oil, so it is all sealed up from the outside

Hope this helps

sattlerfarm
MC crawler
MC crawler

350C Final Drive

Post by sattlerfarm » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:08 pm

Thank you so much for the excellent pictures. It doesn't seem to be leaking now that I have flushed all of the water from the bottom of the final compartment, and refilled everything with new oil. But, I suspect it like a crack in your windshield, it won't just heal itself. Regards, Martin

sattlerfarm
MC crawler
MC crawler

350C steering clutch

Post by sattlerfarm » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:55 am

Thank you again for the excellent photographs. I changed the final drive flanged axle seal per your instructions. I should say all of this refers to the left side of the 350C. I now have everything back together, and there is problem with the steering clutch not engaging. I suspect it is the result of what I considered a minor mishap while I had the final drive housing removed. I started the engine so I could rotate the steering brake drum and check the tightness of the brake band. This resulted in the expulsion of about a gallon of reverser oil. I immediately shut off the engine. I never did remove the steering clutch assembly. The reverser pressure must have pushed the clutch assembly outward to allow the oil to escape. When the final drive housing was replaced everything should have been pushed back into place, but I may have moved one or more of the seals on the piston or the sealing rings (item 13) on the clutch piston housing. I have now only run the engine less than a minute to rotate the sprocket, and can not get the left side to rotate. I am hopeful it is only air in the piston. The reverser has been refilled and the right side works. Do you have any pictures of the clutch piston and it's sealing rings, and the clutch piston housing with it's sealing rings? I am also wondering how the snap ring (item 4) holds all of this together? Also how does the oil from the transmission normally get into the steering clutch housing? I see in the schematic drawing that there are oil seals on both sides of the quill. The quill that has the reverser lines attached. Oil can not pass through that bearing. Pictures always help.
Thanks again, and Happy Thanksgiving Martin in Colorado

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

New to you 350

Post by NWJD fan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:56 pm

From the before photos it looks like your steering clutch housing was cracked. Did you weld it or replace it? If you welded it, how did you do it? Congrats on a very nice rebuild.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Both steering clutch housings were cracked. The previous "mechanic" that had it apart also neglected to put the dowels back in between the housings and the transmission case. I got new housings for a good price. I know there are ways to repair the housings, but really couldn't argue with the pricing of the replacement housings

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:37 am

What an excellent rebuild. Thanks for posting the pictures for those of us that have never seen that far into a crawler. What a beautiful machine now. Wow.
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021