It's coming together, part V, hybrid 3 pt hitch?? DONE!!!!

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

It's coming together, part V, hybrid 3 pt hitch?? DONE!!!!

Post by gus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:27 pm

3 point off of a 40 wheel tractor...

I thought this would work but my early measuring was done without all the pieces in place. Will this work..... I'm not as positive as I was?? :roll:

I can put it on, but it will raise the seat 8". Originally, the seat is too close for me anyway and I thought the extra length would be fine. I'm going to have to put a trial seat placement to find out how it feels.

I will have to build a different mount for the 3 pt than I originally thought also. It will sit back about 6-8" more than I thought and 3-4" higher. It still looks like it would work, depending on the lift arms and how they are attached. That darned control sticking way out on the right is the problem!!

Last edited by gus on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Bagged plan "A" :roll: :roll: It just wasn't going to happen. :cry:

Plan "B" has risen from the ashes. I kept looking at the 3 pt I was trying to adapt and then got an idea for plan "B".

I removed the rockshaft housing and arms from the unit and I will use only that. A simple adapter plate and it will fit easily. Now comes the harder part. There's an arm inside that went from the internal piston to rotate the lift arm shaft.

If these are cast steel, I'm home free. If they're cast iron, it's going to get harder :?

I'm going to mount a cylinder under the seat to operate the lift. Plenty of room for it. Instead of oil bath on the shaft bushings, I'll drill and tap for grease fittings. It should almost look factory and a clean installation. :P

This looks like it will work and the only hang up will be attaching the cylinder to the shaft and I will work that out. :D
Last edited by gus on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:53 pm

What do you think of this?? You will have to imagine it sitting on the back of the 420, but this is the seat and rock shaft set up as they will sit on the tractor. I have to make an adapter plate to hold it and mount an operating cylinder under the seat.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:12 am

I have a factory 3PT if you want to stay original.
One of the other problems is where are you going to mount your draft arms? THe factory bracket is quite a unit, designed to spread the load out across the final. A crawler has substantially more pull than a wheel tractor, and the 3PT's were built stronger to compensate for this.
Lavoy

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:45 am

Looks like you have a lizard trying to mount your tractor.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27 am

Lavoy wrote:I have a factory 3PT if you want to stay original.
One of the other problems is where are you going to mount your draft arms? THe factory bracket is quite a unit, designed to spread the load out across the final. A crawler has substantially more pull than a wheel tractor, and the 3PT's were built stronger to compensate for this.
Lavoy
Yes, I know there's a major difference but I have all the parts and right now, I have about drained the "tractor fund". :wink: I'd love to put an original on but..... maybe sometime down the road I will.

I'm actually building a frame where the draft arms will pull from the back cross frame bar, not the hitch. The hitch will serve a a front support. This tractor, as long as I own it, will never pull much of a load. My two main uses are a mower and a log splitter. I have some old logging roads I keep cleared and mowed which is the main reason to put a 3 pt on.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am

Willyr wrote:[img]
Looks like you have a lizard trying to mount your tractor.
Look at the second set of photos. The entire front of the old 3 pt is gone and won't be used. Only the rock shaft housing and modified arms will be on the tractor. I think it will be cleaner than a factory set up since the cylinder will be under the seat not on the side. I may have to build the cylinder as I need a 3 1/2" X 4" stroke and so far I haven't found one.

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:54 am

6 inch is shortest stroke I have sen from Northern Tools.

How ever. Bailey hydraulics will sell you the pieces or you tell them what you want and they will get you a tie rod cylinder.

http://baileynet.com

I just visited them. They do have your sizes in stock.
http://baileynet.com/index.php?page=Sea ... ders%2C%22
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Willyr
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. :D
Gus

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:17 pm

It's been a process but I'm getting closer. Right now I have the basic lift system framed but I'm waiting for the hyd cylinder. The top link will hook on just under the housing. I do not have bracing on either the top or bottom and there's still a back brace to put in.

Next will be the pull arms and how they attach.

This is the components

The mounting plate on the lift housing

The frame under the seat. The cylinder will mount inside the seat frame

A couple of photos with the housing and arms trial mounted.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 pm

This has been one hell of a project!!! :lol: :lol:

The draft arm design I was working on didn't work out. When the dozer towers went on, it was too congested. I changed to a modified version of the factory mount. acouple of photos of the draft mounts and in place

This is the rock arm mount/cylinder mount/ top link mount

A top view of it all mounted and this shows the cylinder under the seat

Here she is, finished!!

Last edited by gus on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:20 pm

If it wasn't complete and in place, I would probably put the mount on the mill and clean off some square corners on various plates. This would make it visually nicer. Nothing functional, just more factory looking. :wink:

If I get a bored, I might just grind off the top corners of the plate where the top link mounts. That one bothers me the most and it's easy to get at. The others are fairly well hidden. :roll: :roll:

Added point: If you're thinking about doing something like this, get a single control unit. This was a dual control 3 pt and it added a bunch of headaches and time. It would have been much easier with the single arm unit. They are smaller and you don't have to deal with the tube in a tube thing.
The only thing about the dual unit is that the rock shaft case is heavier and may stand the crawler better.
Gus
Last edited by gus on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

MADJACK
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by MADJACK » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Nice job on that. 8)

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: It's coming together, part V, hybrid 3 pt hitch?? DONE!!!!

Post by gus » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:36 pm

This is an old thread that shows a home made 3pt

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: It's coming together, part V, hybrid 3 pt hitch?? DONE!!!!

Post by gus » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:59 am

Side note on the 3pt.

I have been using it for several years and it has worked great. I mainly use it with a mower but have had a post hole digger and a blade on it. It is strong enough to easily lift the back of the crawler off the ground.