How I got my new 450

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
wizner85
430 crawler
430 crawler

How I got my new 450

Post by wizner85 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 pm

I just thought I would share this story. I just got my vintage 66 JD Diesel Dozer with highlift loader to the house. The tractor was advertised in the local farming magazine. The ad stated it was a John Deere 350 that needed work. I went with my dad to look at the dozer. There she sat, in the mud. It barely started, but finally popped off. The gentlemen was adiment that John Deere made a 350 with a 4 cylinder diesel, and that the gentlemen had an expert look at the dozer and stated it needed a new undercarriage minus the tracks, and a new steering clutch. I kept my comments to a minimum on this. The guy selling it stated it sat for over a year. When he moved it, the dozer was frozen to the ground. The¨350¨ finally broke loose and ran like a champ until the track ran off the carriage. We finally settled on a price, and we had it hauled to my house - eventually. The dozer sat in my driveway for a total of 10 minutes before I had it running (it had a dead batter) and found the problem with the clutch. Turned out the linkage for the brake band and throw out bearing had a long adjusting bolt that was replaced. Whoever replaced it, had a bolt with not enough threads and it was loose. I replaced this, and had the crawler turning in all directions with no problems! Next was the under carriage. The track adjusters had a piece of plate welded on it because the seals were bad. I cut out all of the crappy fixes, and I am in the middle of fixing it. The cast frame that holds the track to the tractor in the front had all the bolts sheared off, and I am in the mddle of fixing that. Best part is that the engine runs perfect. No smoke on startup or at full throttle, it just needs ran. Paint is almost perfect, and the undercarriage has decent life left. Next best part is I sold my 420C and used that money to buy this 450. Im only about 300 bucks into this 450 after sellin my 420C. I cant believe I have 150% more horsepower now for almost the same money. It truely pays to know what you are selling. This gentlemen didnt have a clue, and I am one happy dozer owner. Thanks for reading - Andrew.

andregrondin
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by andregrondin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 am

Hi !

seems to me that you can't always get scr..d !!!

glad for you !
Dig in boy !!
J-D 350 straight 1966
model # = T4F3D
serial # = 08883T

J-D 690-B 1980
model # = D690B
serial # = 007364T

Mack RB688S 1990 dumper

cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cdunn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

A deal like that would bother me every time I looked at that tractor for the rest of my life! We read, write and talk a lot about being ripped off by someone who misrepresented a tractor we bought when we didn't know any better. A seller "who didn't have a clue" is entitled to ethical treatment as we are.
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer