1955 40C 5 Roller

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

1955 40C 5 Roller

Post by DiggerLarry » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:09 pm

This is my 40C 5 roller. It has a modified JD #61 blade. The previous owner has mounted another hyd. cylinder on it, fabricating the mounts to match the right side. It has mis-matched track pads and chain but I have aquired correct replacements. Things like that bother me.

I was just about to begin restoration of this crawler (grill guard has already been removed) but the breakdown of another unit has taken priority. I use it if I need it but it's not really a work unit. I wish we had gotten a snow this year so I could plow the driveway with it. That's rare in Charlotte.

DL
www.JohnDeere40.com

neil
420 crawler
420 crawler

track pads mismatch

Post by neil » Sun May 01, 2005 1:33 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by mismatch but I do know you have snow tracks by your picture

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Mon May 02, 2005 10:59 am

Neil,

Both sides are snow shoes but they are different. They both have the hole in the pad to let packed snow and ice out of the chain. The left side is JD snow shoes. They have a varing height or notched grouser that is either higher in the middle or higher on the ends. The right side has a straight grouser (no notch).

As my JD 40 parts book doesn't list a straight grouser, it's either an aftermarket or another brand. I'm betting on the 'other brand' as the chain on that side is not a 40 chain. The links measure a little longer than a 40 link, making it want to throw the track off. JD could have offered a no notch grouser in later years but as the chain is not correct too, it may be off something other than a JD. That's what I mean by mis-matched.

Check out this rear view and you can see the different grousers better.

DL
www.JohnDeere40.com

neil
420 crawler
420 crawler

mismatch

Post by neil » Wed May 04, 2005 5:35 pm

Sorry about that. I can see what you mean now