Saved from the scrapper 1010 nice undercarriage!

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Saved from the scrapper 1010 nice undercarriage!

Post by Scottyb » Mon May 07, 2012 11:43 pm

last week I brought home this fine 1010 that burns blue but runs nice.

The little 1010 ended up in a scrap yard after the long time owner replaced the undercarriage many years ago, only to have the starter quit and no replacement in sight.

So it sat there until the scrap dealer came to clean out the yard.

The dealer found a starter for it but was not interested in doing the upkeep. And so it sat for a few more years until I found it. I could not go home without it. Complete except for rock guards. All new gauges too.

I found it in Saskatchewan, but it looks like it came from Alberta....
The Pads are getting by with the bolts for traction but I have good pads on a 350 loader....Will they fit???

The chains and sprockets are really like new except for the paint...

And the rollers are still wearing the plastic covers they were shipped with!

I think this 1010 will get some rings one day and two grapple arms and a pad change, for logging clean up at my cabin

I was shopping for a grapple attachment for my bobcat but came home with this nice crawler for about the same money

Made my day.

Scott :D
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

andregrondin
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by andregrondin » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 am

Hi !

Was put to rest in that state !! wow people are throwing good stuff on the bone pile !!!

You must be more than happy about that find !!
Dig in boy !!
J-D 350 straight 1966
model # = T4F3D
serial # = 08883T

J-D 690-B 1980
model # = D690B
serial # = 007364T

Mack RB688S 1990 dumper

waterman28
430 crawler
430 crawler

Nice find.

Post by waterman28 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:46 am

Now you need a winch and an arch AND you still need that grapple. Have fun with your new deere.
JD 1010 Crawler
Ferguson TO 30
Case 580C
996 David Brown

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14 pm

andregrondin, You are so right about this crawler did not belong on the scrap pile, but, it was way out in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan, the owner could not keep it running. A five hour return road trip to pick it up and I enjoyed every Kilometer !

The owner saw my ad and he says it saved it from the pile.

I am going to enjoy the grapple, I need one, and it will be a tool that many of my friends will drive.
The same scrap dealer sold me 3 x 3ft excalaber thumbs for hoe buckets and they will fit nicely on the top of the bucket to complete the grapple. The hydraulic valve is already there so it should come together easy.

You are sooo right about a winch and arch, I saw Jason in Alberta earlier this past winter and he fixed me up with a nice rebuilt that is on my 350b loader. Logging was never this much fun before the winch arch 350 combo.

Scott
backhoe attachment.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

1010 Vs. 350

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed May 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Scott,

Nice 1010, for a 1010. I am not a 1010 or 2010 fan. This is after spending many countless hours doing a rebuild on a 2010 basket case. The 350 / 450 series is a hugh step forward. With that said my dad has a 1010 loader, 2 1010 dozers, 1010 forklift, 2010 loader and 2010 dozer in his sheds.

I am thinking that someone is going to give you some pretty big $ for just the undercarriage off this 1010. I have tried locally to get new idlers for my 350C (Brandt and Union Tractor) and they can't seem to locate any. Which means you can get full retail for as new slightly used components. You may have to wait a long time to sell the undercarriage, but the price will be probably twice what you paid for the machine if you got similar deals as you have got in the past. I don't know about interchangeability of the undercarriage from a 1010 to a 350, if it is did you could put it on your winch tractor.

I don't have a running 450 engine for you at the moment, probably a dozen non-runners but should have a good crank for you. My dad is already working on his construction fleet and will start his season in the next few weeks so engine rebuilds will be out of the question until November. I could have sold 3 of them in the past few weeks if I had them ready.

I have placed the same adds as you but have not got the buys like you. Must be more older non-runners in Saskachewan than central alberta.

A grapple will be a nice addition. I wrecked the 450B loader that had a grapple on it (sold the engine) and never got to try the grapple on anything. You might need counter weights to keep her from tipping forward when picking up big trees.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010 Vs. 350

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 am

JWB Contracting wrote:Scott,

I don't know about interchangeability of the undercarriage from a 1010 to a 350, if it is did you could put it on your winch tractor.
Most parts from a 1010 undercarriage will not interchange with a 350, the possible exceptions being track pads and bottom rollers and even on those I am not sure without looking at part numbers.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

1010 rails

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu May 10, 2012 9:11 am

So as new 1010 undercarriage is worth new retail pricing then, that is to a serious collector.

We received more than what most would pay for a complete workable crawler for an as new set of 440 2 bolt rails and pads in the past year.

I can't believe how scarce good used undercarriage is getting. In the past we would often buy a machine like this 1010 reasonably, swap the new undercarriage for usable and resell the machine. Haven't found a deal like that for at least 5 years.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Thu May 10, 2012 11:07 am

Tigerhaze,
I am hoping that the pads will change with the 350 as I have a very good set of 350 loader pads that would look good on this 1010. I measured the bold pattern and without removing any pads it looks like a fit.

Jason,
I see that Deere made a leap forward with the design of the 350 and 450s. Just the fuel tank move from above the engine, the hydraulic tank to the same side as the valves and the battery box arrangement were design improvements that were simple but convenient. I am not yet as familiar with all the mechanical improvements but I am sure that there is plenty.

However, this 1010 has some good work left in it I am sure, and I like the
vintage charm of all this old equipment.

I have limited time this summer for working on my Deere's, my day job is busier for me than usual so I have been using my Deere time to buy some non runners and have some projects for next year and beyond, when, I can be away from the business more. However, I also need some more equipment running for next winter logging and clean up and this 1010 I bought is not as far from ready as the 350 and 450s I recently hauled home, so it might get a job on clean up this winter.
I think I hit a good time to buy non runners out here, as after I started advertising the calls were coming in for a while. Now, it has slowed down and no calls for a few weeks. I am guessing no one has been in the market for them around here for some time and I found six non runners in a few months. I will again step up my ads and see if I can get a few more calls.

I bought a second 450 loader a while back and just brought it home last week. The undercarriage is done, real bad, but the engine runs very nice. I just started it yesterday. This 450 has sat for 15 years in a open yard but, still looks good. It needed a fuel pump, hoses, transmission\reverser fluid (must be a leak as it took 5 gal but it seems to work OK) and, anything made of rubber like the T's on the injectors and etc. It is still on the trailer and the clutches feel stiff but I havent tested them yet. So I could take the engine and put it into the dozer or move the undercarriage to the loader??? OR, make one loader from the two??? I cant seem to make up my mind on what to do with what, likely because I do not have much shop time now anyway.

I will try to do a review of what I have so far and see if I can spare some rollers etc. for your 350c.

I am keeping most of the equipment at my brothers acreage and as long as it starts and can be moved it is OK. As soon as I start parting out something, to sell or for myself, I will need to move it somewhere else, or, take it up to my cabin.
Next winter I will make a clearing up there just to be able to do that.

For now I will try to buy a few more with the time I have.

Scott
backhoe attachment.