here is the crawler I just got from craigslist

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by fictional31m » Sat May 12, 2012 4:31 am

I'm new to crawlers and I'm not sure how well the home-made blade will work the previous owner said it worked for him but my plans for this little crawler is pulling logs and to fix a washed out road in Kentucky I need to do a few things to it some leaks and maybe some welding the clutch is I think out of adjustment and some other wore out components let me know what you guys think :)[/img]

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat May 12, 2012 9:42 am

Early MC judging by the roller caps.
Get a parts and service manual/s before tearing into it too much, lots of good info in them.
Lavoy

fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by fictional31m » Sat May 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Do you think that blade would work for clearing and making roads?
from the blades I have seen this one don't have much of a curve of course its from a 3 point hitch blade one concern is anything I push would go over top of it what do you guys think?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat May 12, 2012 8:29 pm

All you can do is try it. If the crawler gets good traction, I can't see the blade living long term if you are clearing trees or heavy brush.
Lavoy

roadbuilder
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by roadbuilder » Sat May 26, 2012 10:24 am

I'd go with what Lavoy said.
Try to limit your hard shoving to the middle of the blade. You want to push as evenly with each track as you can anyway no matter how stout the blade is. Easier on the drive train. At least get the operators manual. Looking at the steering levers, I think you may need to do little adjusting of the steering clutch/brakes. Between the manual, and this forum, you can do the adjustments, or find out what parts you may need,such as clutch discs,etc. I would expect that when you push up against something hard, one side (track) will stall out before the other. When one or both tracks stall, quit shoving. Best of luck with your new dozer! :)
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' right.