Bull2

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:39 pm

So, It's almost running good. I didn't take as much pictures as I normally do but it's good to see a almost complete 440. I think I have a engine clutch issue because when I depress it it doesn't stop the drive train to rotate. I cannot put the lever into gears with the engine running... When it is stopped I can depress the clutch put in gear, start the engine. I release the pedal and it goes. If I depress the clutch again the dozer stops. I can go to neutral but not into another gear with the engine running...2 years parked there...

440IC 1958 #443712, 602 blade, Gearmatic winch project in the back
440IC, serial tag gone, Blade with tilt
-------------------------------------------------------

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:32 am

Well looks like you got some time off and had a few free days.
Nice work getting it back together. Did you run into any issues putting the back end on?
I bet those tranny bolts were somewhat tough to get to and tighten up.

Did you try adjusting the linkage for the clutch pedal?
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 pm

whiteclipse16 wrote:Well looks like you got some time off and had a few free days.
Nice work getting it back together. Did you run into any issues putting the back end on?
I bet those tranny bolts were somewhat tough to get to and tighten up.

Did you try adjusting the linkage for the clutch pedal?
Thanks Ben,

Yes I had some challenge. Aligning the crossBar brackets with the final drives holes was not a piece of cake. The soft ground has made the dozer shift down on one side... Also aligning the transmission shaft with the engine shaft with the use off the small shop crane. One track could not be splitted because of the welded master pin. To put it back there was a pain... I had a crack in the right sprocket. I had it repaired. Not too much trouble with the tranny bolts.

I remember the clutch pedal to be harder than that before... The play is ok. I think something is broken in there... a finger or spring. I'll have to pull the engine I guess...

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 am

Def. sounds like it was a job for you.
I elected to put the "final drive to crossbar" brackets on the final drive (partly because the one that was still on I couldn't get off) and it all seemed to line itself up. The crossbar line things up, height wise and when the finals slid into the crossframes it lined things up sideways. I guess in reality the side to side doesn't need to be lined up the way I did it, because you can position the "cap" wherever it needs to be.
Anyway, if your bellhousing is the same as mine there are some inspection ports you can open and you can see in there. I used them to double check things on mine. I adjusted the clutch pedal per the book, but then double checked to make sure I was getting enough travel of the pressure plate fingers.
Good Luck.
Also, has your throttle lever been "customized" where it goes through the dash? Just curious
Ben

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:44 pm

whiteclipse16 wrote:Def. sounds like it was a job for you.
I elected to put the "final drive to crossbar" brackets on the final drive (partly because the one that was still on I couldn't get off) and it all seemed to line itself up. The crossbar line things up, height wise and when the finals slid into the crossframes it lined things up sideways. I guess in reality the side to side doesn't need to be lined up the way I did it, because you can position the "cap" wherever it needs to be.
Yes That would have been my first choice but I remember on the other dozer that the long bolts that join the caps and the brackets all broke off :shock: . So, I let them there... but I know I'll have to remove them in a near future. Some Lock washers under the bolts heads are broken and that will lead to loose grip on the crossbar...
whiteclipse16 wrote:Anyway, if your bellhousing is the same as mine there are some inspection ports you can open and you can see in there. I used them to double check things on mine. I adjusted the clutch pedal per the book, but then double checked to make sure I was getting enough travel of the pressure plate fingers.
Good Luck.
That's exactly what I'll do! Inspect the best I can by these little holes. If I can save the engine removal for this fall that would be great.
whiteclipse16 wrote:Also, has your throttle lever been "customized" where it goes through the dash? Just curious
Hehehe. Yes, Previous owner (s) switched to the 420 handle. It's working well actually. I found parts to put it back to original dash but I may let it like that!! It matches with the 420 transmission case this 440 has :roll:

Thanks for the comments. How is your 440ICD going?

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 am

I completely understand about not wanting to break anymore bolts off than necessary.
I don't know if you'll be able to see anything through those inspection spots with everything assembled or not. I "inspected" mine before it was rolled into the undercarriage.

Mine is good. I actually only had it out 1 time since the end of August :cry:
I do have the blade all painted and ready to go on I just need to get all the bolts and new hoses made up. Been doing a lot of cleaning up at grandpa's farm trying to get thing straightened up before winter so we don't have a muddy mess everywhere like last year.
I'll be getting the blade on soon with some pics :)
Ben

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Yes, I want to have it running before the snow arrives. I don't take any chances... I ordered an engine clutch kit from Lavoy. So If anything looks suspect in the clutch area it will be replaced.

I remember one detail that catched my attention. When I tried to put the ''engine to transmission'' shaft into place, I had to depress the clutch pedal to be able to sit the tip in the pilot bearing... if not it would not go. That makes me think that something is bad in there... We'll see.

Your 440 ICD ended up real nice! Very good work and the ICD's are rare... over here though. A LOT of work... If you have some more pics and videos it would be nice. You will enjoy it for a long time for shure.

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:40 pm

You better finish it before the snow flies that way you can push some.
Thanks for the compliments on mine. From what I'm finding any of these little dozers are rare near me.
I don't have any new pictures. I haven't had it out since the last week in August. Been busy cleaning some things up around my grandpa's far and plowing some fields.
I did get the blade blasted and painted and am working on getting the new hoses made. Hopefully I'll have it on by the end of the month or so, but I have to go out of town for work next week, so that weeks shot.

Take plenty of pics when you do your clutch.
Ben

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Well, It happened! I had bull 2 running last week. Here's what it needed (for the drive train to work only):

*Final Drives rebuilt (new bearings and seals, spline on the axle rebuilt)
*Steering clutches: new fibers, steels, pressure plates, bearings
*New Brake band linings
*Transmission: replace input shaft, new bearings and seals, replace 2 gears, pinion and ring gear teeth rebuilt.
*''New'' propel shaft. In fact made of 2 shafts welded together. New coupling between propel and input shafts
*Right sprocket crack and Teeth rebuilt.
*The starter gave up... I replaced the switch on top and got it back to service!
*A LOT of hours and mileage

I have to replace engine clutch but I received it a little bit late for the time left of my vacation. Anyway I don't like how the ring gear looks... Next spring I'm gonna fix all that. So I chose to put the crawler in a safe place for winter... My father and I built a shelter...again!! The reason for that is because no commercial shelters are able to sustain winds we have in this area. Guess why they installed this big experimental windturbine in 1984 (the highest in the world and the most powerfull 4MW) not in service tough...

Eole, Cap-chat-PQ. 4MW, 13.5 RPM, 367 feet high. Surrouded by 750kW NEG Micon turbines.

Here it is after a couple 360' to test the steering!!

When I hammered the master pin out I bent the link... So here is a field track press :roll:

Shelter construction.

Gearmatic winch back for rebuild this winter.

Thanks to the old man in Matane, PQ for his parts and support. If not, I would I've keep this 440 for parts after 1.5 hours of use...
Thanks to Lavoy for the parts
Thanks to Bull 1 for the parts :roll:

I can't wait to finish it next spring! Then I bring it to my land for some work.

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 pm

I am curious why they decommissioned the VAWT (vertical axis wind turbine). Was it only a test bed for the design?
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:32 am

Willyr wrote:I am curious why they decommissioned the VAWT (vertical axis wind turbine). Was it only a test bed for the design?
Hi Willyr,

This one ran from 1987 to 1993. Hydro-Quebec and Lavalin built it. Lavalin operated it. There are a couple of pros and cons for each designs (vertical or horizontal axis).

With the vertical axis, you can pick up the wind from any direction without the need of motors and pinion and all the electronic that comes with that... to have the rotor facing the wind. Larger generator because installed on the ground. Machinery house has easier access for maintenance. No gearbox. I think the disadvantages are: the operating wind span is narrower 25km/h to 62 km/h for the big one. Also when you shut down a big unit like this, production=0. With large windturbines park, if one shuts down, money still flows with the rest running. I think the space required and the proximity of bedrock are factors too.

Another point is the construction time. The big one from 1984 to 1987 for 4 MW.
Then the windmill park 76 turbines in 6 months for 57 MW...

Back in 1993 they stopped it because The contract between HQ and Lavalin ended. Hydro-Quebec was buying the electricity from Lavalin at an ''experimental rate'' 25c by kW/h. Back then it cost HQ .03$ kW/h to produce with Hydro Dams... so the interest fade out. Also the rests of Hurricane Hugo were pretty strong in the area and something happened in the bottom bearing. This was the beginning of windpower in Quebec. Now you have turbines everywhere. That would be so cool to have it running again. The interest is there because clean power is the word now. This machine is awesome. You should see the disk brakes inside!! I worked there for 4 years as a guide for tourists.

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Now that the dozer can move by itself the field repair turned into a shop repair. Thanks to my neighbor who allowed me to use his nice shop crane!

The clutch had to be replaced. When i got to it, the clutch wasn't bad at all. The problem was that a lot of dirt in there was causing the disk to not relase properly.

I had the flywheel machined
-new clutch, throw out bearing installed. Adjusted with the gauge
- new gauges, ignition switch, wiring, distributor cap and isolator.
- new rad hoses. Installed the by pass hose, replace thermostat and antifreeze.
-oil change

Still to do:
Track adjuster and maybe track shoes. Tighten the tracks.
Radiator has to be changed
Steering clutches adjustment
Footrests installation and couple minor things.

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:09 pm

After 2 years or so of wrenching, here's where the crawler was dropped.

After a couple of happy hours i did some work there and here as we can see.

And then cleaned the tracks

Unfortunately, i found out a head/head gasket issue that stopped the machine. Antifreeze in cyl #1...

Here it is again as i have seen it most of my time (waiting for a repair):

To be continued....

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:21 am

Looks like what work it did get to do was nice.
I share your frustration. Just when you think you've got it fixed, something else lets go.
Good luck iron popper
Ben

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks ben.

This issue is not the end of the world but it is frustrating because i needed to do a trail on the land. I'm looking for parts with Lavoy and hopefully i can finish the trail in my next off time.

I really enjoyed operating it. Steers good and runs good (better than what the ad claimed when I bought it :D :D )

With something too big for the 440 to push, i tested the strenght of the machine. The engine is strong and does not bug down, both tracks spin on the ground.

With a full blade of dirt it doesn't steer good. With light load it will. So when i push something heavy and steering is needed, i back up a bit, turn and push again.

That was really fun.