A Challenging Little Project...

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:45 pm

take alot of pictures of that mossy green camo,,, too bad it cant be duplicated,,, would be a show stopper,
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

LarryD
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by LarryD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:48 am

Awesome pics and an even better story to go with them. :)
I to have started a project crawler this summer, and ironically, I too am a welder/machinist and run my own shop. I bought mine as a basket case, and through no intentional planning, the official start of me working on this project was on Saturday of Fathers Day weekend. That wouldn't be all that significant other than the fact that my Dad, who passed away 14 years ago, operated and mechaniced on crawlers in the coal mines of Ohio for as far back as I can remember. That Saturday will live in my memory for as long as I live. The weather was perfect, a nice breeze blowing, bluegrass music on my shop stereo, and all those wonderful memories of me and Pop working on various projects and equipment in his shop many years ago. It really was almost as if I could feel him right there beside me coaching me along, just as he did years ago when I would be "helping him".........translated that means "him being patient enough to take the time to try to teach me something" :P
So I really do hope you decide to restore the ol' gal......sounds as if she and you both deserve that. On the outside chance that you don't resurect her, please contact me before you scrap her as there are a couple parts I need very badly for mine.....but honestly, I really do hope that you and your grandson carry through with this project as I think it would be very rewarding for you both. Good luck to you, and God speed to the ol' gal, she may not be the prettiest girl at the dance but she'll still turn a few heads. :wink:

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:20 am

Not to highjack the thread but LarryD what part of Ohio did your dad work. I'm from a part of Ohio where there were a ton of mines.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

LarryD
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by LarryD » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 am

whiteclipse16 wrote:Not to highjack the thread but LarryD what part of Ohio did your dad work. I'm from a part of Ohio where there were a ton of mines.
He worked at Central Ohio Coal in Cumberland. I'm sure your familiar with the Musky if your from coal country. That is the mine it was owned by. Dad started out there running dozer, then worked at the equipment rebuild shop for years, then the last few he was there he ran one of the smaller stripping shovels. Actually my whole family worked in the mines until my generation. I would have loved to, but things were really slow in the mines when I got out of high school. Wasn't much choice but to go where I could make a living which landed me in NC. Nice to hear a voice from back home though.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:58 pm

its been almost a year what did you decide?
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper