The next victim

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The next victim

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:58 pm

Here is a pic of the next victim, I mean candidate for restoration. This crawler is owned by one of the members on this board, and is going to get a total restoration. This pic is actually a few months old, the crawler right now is broken down in to minor components, or individual pieces. In a few weeks when I can get back in the shop, these pieces will begin taking turns in the wash cabinet, undergo inspection, and then begin the reassembly process. I will try and take some pics as I go along showing the progress.
Lavoy
Image[/img]

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

victim

Post by bent » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:25 am

Lavoy, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes to bring them back from the grave. Does it have the ripper teeth?

Brent
:D

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:05 am

The teeth are gone, but I am working on making new teeth.
Lavoy

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:22 pm

Well, if I can figure out how to work the wife's digital camera (mine died) I will try and get some pics up of what this crawler now looks like. It is all torn down into individual components. As soon as the wash cabinet is full of new soap and water, the pieces will begin the wash process. Transmission, final drives, reverser and center section will be the first to go through. Then the individual pieces will be inspected for wear and damage, and an assessment as to necessary repairs will be made. Then the reassembly process begins on those pieces. After each component is rebuilt, they are primed and bolted up to their counterpart in the assembly process. If it works out, I will continue to post pics of the pieces as they come out of the wash cabinet, and after they are reassembled. Stay tuned for further updates.
Lavoy

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:15 am

Lavoy
How common is it to find the scarfier assy. I have the 831 Loader but no scarfier, would be interested in getting one.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:30 am

Not that common, I think most of them got thrown away when final work was done, or because the guys got tired of banging their shins on them.
Lavoy

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:46 pm

See if you can find the crawler cleverly hidden in this pic.

This is what is left give or take of the crawler at the top of this thread. Obviously there are numerous other piles of parts, but this is the first to be cleaned and washed.
Lavoy

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Cleaning process

Post by BKahler » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Lavoy,

What process do you use for cleaning parts?

Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

Brad

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:13 pm

I have a hot water wash cabinet. It about 6' tall, 3' wide, 4' deep. It has a wash area of about 32" X 46". The parts sit on a turntable that rotates, and there is a 1HP pump that sprays the solution all of the parts as they rotate on the table. I run about 130 degrees, although the cabinet is really designed for much hotter. If you look at the transmission top cover, you can see how it strips everything off.
The cabinet is on a timer, it turns the heater on every morning, and off every night, another timer turns the oil skimmer on for a few hours a day. It has to be one of the best tools I have ever purchased. You just fill it with parts, set the timer, and go away. Come back a while later and they are clean, degreased, and paint free. No standing at a parts washer full of $4/gallon solvent getting it all over your hands and what else.
I will try and post a pic of it with a load of parts some time.
Lavoy

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:36 pm

Here is a before pic of a trans case loaded in the parts washer.
Lavoy

Here is an after picture.

I can't imagine how many hours I used to spend to clean up something like this before.
Lavoy

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:16 pm

Lavoy,

Do remember the Manufacturer of your washing machine? I may not can afford one of these wonders but ....
IT'S SO COOL!

If been doing some electrolysis cleaning and I like the results but this looks like it has it's place also.

Larry
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Mine is an Earh Partners, but they are out of business. Search E-bay under parts washers, occasionally there is one on there, not necessarily the same brand.
I have been looking at buying a new one, maybe you want this one?
lavoy

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The start of a crawler

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:58 pm

Here is the first load of parts back from sandblasting.
Lavoy

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by BKahler » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:42 pm

Looks great Lavoy!

I assume from the color that you've put some kind of yellow based primer on them? If so what kind?

Brad

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:51 pm

The shop that does my blasting uses that under anything that will be yellow when painted. The Deere primer about the same color is call "Buff Primer Sealer". There are differing opinions as to what color primer should be used. Some guys like a dissimilar color primer, so it is easier to see if you missed a spot. These guys use a similar color primer, because they think it gives a brighter finish when done.
I will try and get another pic up this weekend, I assembled the crossbars and sideframes today, and they are sitting up on stands waiting for the drivetrain.
Lavoy