I bought some parts crawlers but this 450b will get fixed

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

I bought some parts crawlers but this 450b will get fixed

Post by Scottyb » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 pm

It is a 1974

I had a real fun time backing it up onto the trailer as the right side has no drive what so ever. It kept trying to spin off the side but with help from the winch I eventually got it on straight

All the gauges are there but when I turn the key the temp gauge goes directly to hot. Might need a new one of those.

And the teeth look good too!

The pads are wore out but I have a parts 450 with good street pads. What do you do with stiff pins, just drive it until they loosen up?

And the chains are in good looking condition, not much wear on the bushings.

And I did not even look under the hood when I bought it today, It started easily and purred like a kitten. Tomorrow I will get a better look at it but for now I am happy. 12 hours on the road to bring it home but I have forgot about the drive already, it looks like a worthwhile fixer upper for a very reasonable price.
I have never worked a loader bigger than my 350 so I am anxious to get this one digging!

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Nice looking 450

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Scott,

Your 450 should have a turbo engine and power assist steering. The B also has updated steering clutches from the straight 450. Very comparable in feel to the newer "C" series machines with wet steering clutches. A 450 is probably about 50% more machine in terms of production than a 350, that is why we have 3 450 yard cats insead of using 350's. Although, our low our straight 350 loader has been down at our main customers yard for almost 15 years!!!

Your machine also has the later model outside mount ROPS canopy which is nice along with the full counter weight package (hitch and sprocket). Your track links should loosen up with some use, if they don't you might need to heat them or soak them in a slough to loosen them up. The undercarriage looks decent overall.

The 450 steering clutches are also easier to work on than a 350. You still need to split the track and pull the sproket, but you don't need to pull the final drive.

Deere collecting can get out of hand, but there are alot worse things to do out there with your time and resources. Looks like a good buy.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 am

Jason, thanks for your feedback on my new purchase.

I am really excited to get this 450.

I picked up two other 450 loaders recently one that looks good, runs smooth, but the undercarriage is 100% worn out. The other is not as nice but between the two I should be able to make one to sell and still have an engine for my 450 dozer and some pads for my new purchase.

This is a busy year for me with work so the "make two into one" project will wait until next year when I will be done my new store opening. In the meantime a day here and there spent picking up these Deere's (and reading the Messageboard) is a welcome diversion from work.

I do have a plan for having several Deere's in my yard. Our Property at the lake is divided into two. Half will stay natural around my yard and the rest, a cabin development with about 10 lots and a few trailer sites.
I hope to do all the clearing, road building, and grade work with my Deere's.

So here is my wish list;
My 350b with the winch will get: the bucket modified to into a grapple with 5 X 2' teeth welded to the bottom of the bucket and a hook on top for moving brush piles and logs. As well as a Rops!
A 350 just for the backhoe. I have two 350's now that also could be made into one but I might just find something better as they both require a lot of time.
My new 450b for digging, landscape work, stumps etc., and.....
The 450 dozer for dozing.

A new shed for the machinery and I will be ready to go!

Scott
backhoe attachment.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:10 am

It's funny how cralwers multiple like rabbits- I thought I would have just one but have three now and am thinking about a fourth :lol:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Like rabbits they are! I started with one but now have 8! The first one cost me more than the last 7 combined and I have 2 more that I cant wait to look at.
When I went looking for my first about one year ago, I thought that they were hard to find and expensive to buy. Each time one showed up it has been like a rare find that I had to get right over to see. I have made a few nice finds for sure that will hopefully make it all the way to "good condition" down the road if time will allow. But I have a couple of basket cases as well.

I think the 450b that started this thread is the finest purchase I have made so far. It is running so nice. I had much of the last week to spend getting it back up to working condition. The owner passed away not so long ago and things started to need attention as friends and neighbors have used it without knowing how, or, trying to keep it working.
I have been building a road and clearing stumps with it the last few days. I am sure that this is going to be my main digging machine for a long time. I will try to continue the good upkeep that this crawler has enjoyed over its lifetime. A big step up in power from my 350b that I will not part with any time soon either.
Now that I have bought another very good one, collecting the broken and tired ones has begun to look a little less exciting. I do however have a nice parts department to go to when needed.

Scott

ps

Thanks to all the guys who contribute their vast technical knowledge and real life experience to this site. I am sure that I would not have discovered the joy of owning these magnificent machines, without all you guys on this messageboard.
And a special thank you to Lavoy, for making it happen.
backhoe attachment.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

450 Production

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Yes, 450's are nice for getting alot of work done.

Keep and eye out for a winch or a full size deere hoe and hoe hooks for your 450.

Your arch from your 350 will bolt right on.

And a 450 loader has alot more hydrualic power for serious digging power with a hoe.

Nothing wrong with having a few parts on hand as well. We're getting short of 350 parts as we keep fixing them instead of wrecking them. Hard to find parts machines now, since I think you might have all the old deeres cleaned up in Saskatchewan by now!!!

We need more guys to start posting pictures of what they are doing to their crawlers and how they are making use of them. I'm pretty bad for that myself, working on my own 350C 6 way dozer cat this weekend and didn't stop to take any pictures. Started with undercarriage replacement and now taking some time to freshen up the front crossmemeber / track frame mounts and idlers.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors