JWB 350C Rebuild Program

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

JWB 350C Rebuild Program

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Here is a 350C dozer that I am fixing up for myself. I think it once was a government forestry machine as it came equipment with a true PTO and rockshaft.

Work done to date:

- replace rails with 90% used rails that we had in stock, plus pads from a for sale 350C crawler dozer that we finished a month ago (rails were shot on for sale machine, pads were better than my original)
- replace sprockets from a 350B widepad deconversion, mine were about 50%, these look fairly good to me
- drill and tap broken bolts in sprocket covers
- replace top rollers and idlers from a 350 dozer that we will be rebuilding this winter, getting new idler seals this week
- drill and tap spring cover bolts, will be putting an order for them in shortly
- install limb riser package from a 350B outside mount dozer machine, need to remove and re-weld the non-exhaust side as 1" too low. Thought I had it right, but when our welder finished it wasn't right. I guess I should have measured better

Work to be done yet

- finish refurb on front idlers
- track frame bolts have been removed, will be grinding the bushings down to match the wear on the cross member mounting holes, re-install and then weld the bushings to the crossmember. The new bushing were just install by previous owner, but not effective as there was a 1/2 gap appearing when putting down pressure on the dozer
- install new spring covers
- finish exhaust mounting, need to drill and tap the exhaust side top mounting
- hammer my grill screen flat, or steal one from a rebuild machine
- locate 3 point hitch parts, really only have the rockshaft, cylinders, valve and lower arm mounts, so basically need the expensive parts. If I can't find the parts, I may remove the rockshaft and install a ripper for now, might as well have something to operate with the extra hydraulics
- order new seat
- remove stump pan and get rid of the debris
- change rad out, this one has been repaired but I would like to put a non-repaired one in
- locate 1 good "John Deere" name plate for the hood, 1 is absolutely mint, have better which I'll put on for now
- remove blade and rebush, might skimp out and get by with removing some shims on the dozer mounting
- install factory lighting
- remove steps and straighten
- change all fluids

I am really trying to get this back to as close to a factory looking machine as possible. Parts costs have been nothing so far, but used up some good undercarriage and a few weekends here and there. For the most part, it is was a nice workable dozer with 50% undercarriage when I started. I do plan on dissasembling and getting it professionally painted in the future, but for now I will settle for a good clean functional dozer.

Next project (my first green crawler) has already arrived, so need to get this one wrapped up.

I could use some help on finding the 3 point hitch parts, so if anyone knows of any parts available please contact me. I'd really like to try out a rough cut mower behind it.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:23 am

Nice looking project you have there Jason.

That is the first green 350 I have seen and I sure like the look of it. Was the white rops the original color? I can't tell from the photo what the original colors on the undercarriage were as well. I see some green there and a yellow spring? I could just wait until you have it all painted up but my curiosity is getting me. I tried to find a photo on the net without success.

It always seems odd to me that Deere used so much yellow on their construction equipment when they have such a good reputation for quality equipment branded in the green color. Perhaps it is a safety issue, the bright eye catching yellow in the workplace?
The green is nice.

If I see anything out here with a three point hitch, I will let you know.

Scott
Last edited by Scottyb on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:01 am

I make some new 3PT parts.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com