440IC in the trees

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:16 am

The pin boss is surrounding the pin, and as they rails and rollers wear, the rollers tend to hammer the bottom of the pin boss to a taper. I have had rails that have been run so far that it tapers so far up it wears the end of the pin to a taper as well. This makes it real difficult to install pins and bushings as I have no flat surface to push agains.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dnkcozmo
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by dnkcozmo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 am

so are the chains junk if they are that bad? the chain links on my 40c are tapered like that almost up into the pin. I dont understand what causes this? all of the rollers turn and look good. what goes bad on the rollers that cause this problem??

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:08 am

Not necessarily shot, just getting worn, depends on how thick the bottom of the rail is.
When this happens, unless the rail is really thin, the problem is shot bottom rollers.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:46 am

dnkcozmo wrote: I dont understand what causes this? all of the rollers turn and look good. what goes bad on the rollers that cause this problem??
In case that wasn't clear to you, it is simply wear on the roller faces at the hub where thinning of the roller results in more distance between the tip of the flange and the roller hub, allowing the contact.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Follow up:
If you can get it for what you consider a reasonable price, consider the time, effort, and cost to get it home and cleaned up. I'll bet that its still hidden good qualities will make it worth the effort even if you decide to pass and re-sell it. The track rails look thick enough ~3", and if the center to center of five pins is closer to 23" than 231/2" you'll have an idea of pin and bushing wear. The bosses while tapered, don't look that bad to me, but as Lavoy said, indicated some flange wear on the rolls, some of which may need replacement. The sprockets and idlers look to have life left in them, and the track travel and sag shows some room for additional tightening if needed. A number of people here have been rebuilding 8a winches from worse looking ones than you have on this machine, so there is some equity there too.

Good luck making your decision. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 pm

No, the rails on the 440 look pretty good yet, lots of depth to the link. If the pins and bushings are shot, now is the time to do it before the end of the pin tapers any more, then it gets to be a real problem.
I would bring the crawler home in a heartbeat.
lavoy

foxd
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by foxd » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Anyone want to trade a 440 gas motor for a diesel if I pick this thing up? :D
'39 B, '48 B, '49 A, '50 B, '54 40U, '55 40U, '59 430U, '60 430C