440IC - My First Dozer

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
omega
MC crawler
MC crawler

440IC - My First Dozer

Post by omega » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Hello everyone - newbie here. I've been lurking for a while and finally got around to posting pictures of my work, err disassembly. This is my first piece of heavy equipment - originally I wanted to get a small wheel tractor but the chance to buy a dozer came up and what red blooded american male wouldn't jump at a chance to have a bulldozer. Serial number shows its a 1959 model. The seller indicated that it was 'for parts' and that it was a mixed bag of problems. All I knew was "I can buy it" and "it's a bulldozer". Now I realize there is a ton of work before I can start pushing dirt and showing off.

The day it was delivered. They drove it off the trailer. That's a good sign, right?

If I pull on the right side handle, the clutch does not disengage and the brake does not engage. Time to pull the clutch housing. Ohh, wait, 4 bolts are broken off holding the rear gauge bar to the idler carriage. Time to pull the carriage...

The distributor is full of rust, the carb looks like it has barnacles growing on it, both cylinders pee hydraulic fluid when the engine is on, the radiator spontaneously developed a leak, choke is missing, gauges missing, reverser linkage missing, front idler carrier casting cracked in half, track tensioners look like they were dug up from the bottom of the ocean, every bolt is rusted tight, faded cheap yellow paint mixed with rust red.

The cover plate over the clutch housing obviously leaked bad because there was a sold 2 inches of rust in the bottom of the housing. I didn't know rust could grow that high. The brake band is rusted in half. I pulled everything else out and sandblasted, etched and primed. Now I need to figure out what to order. There are alot of pins and bushings that I need to track down I think.

How did I miss all those problems when I first saw it? The seller had just driven over a car with the dozer - now to some of you that have been around heavy equipment, that's not something that would impress you... but for me (or the 14 year old kid that lives inside me) that's a major selling point. So now I'm stuck repairing this 'car crusher'. All kidding aside, though, I do intend on getting this machine functional again to help build a garage and cut some trails in the woods. I'll update as I progress. I have a manual, but what I really need is advice ordering the parts you guys recommend before I start reassembly. I don't want to miss a spring or bushing while its apart and have to tear down again. Thanks everyone.
1959 John Deere 440 Gas

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 am

Wow Omega, it looks like you got a good project there.
As far as where to get parts, always check with Lavoy first.
He is the site administrator/owner and crawlers are his business.
He can get pretty much everything. Parts that aren't available from Deere, he has either new or original. Other stuff such as springs, gaskets, etc. can be bought from Deere, but Lavoy usually has the stuff.

If Lavoy can't get you something there is a gentleman in Georgia (Farmer John) that parts crawlers out and has a lot of parts. Some parts are rough and his prices are kind of high IMO.

Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

LarryD
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Omega......your post gave me a smile and chuckle on an otherwise mundane day. :lol
And as for that 14 year old kid.......well, let's just say I too am very well aquainted with him, as are most of us on this board. Your "trophy" that you have is actually cherry compared to the shape mine was.....and still is in. Just take a look at the show and tell section and check out the one titled 420 basket case rebuild......that would be my "trophy". But to put that into perspective, then go look at the one titled 440ICD paint and assembly by whiteclipse16. Ben did a fantastic restoration on his machine and it shows. Hopefully yours and mine both will reach that level also one day. As for information and good advice.......Lavoy is certainly the Guru in that dept. and for finding parts too. Not to mention he was generous enough to build this fantastic playground for us all to enjoy. :D So, good luck with the project, and as Ben said, take and post lots of pics, as we all love watching the progress as its made.

Larry

omega
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by omega » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:12 pm

I started too many projects at once so I tried to finish a few. I cleaned the carb really well and used the rebuild kit from Lavoy. I was hoping it would come with the shaft seals but I guess a little air leaking in there is not a big deal. I'm used to mechanical or efi systems so I don't know names of carb parts, but the brass needle seat that threads onto the bowl was really hard to get fully threaded down. Everything else should be fine I guess assuming I assembled it the right way.

I cleaned everything in the distributor in the sandblaster. I stared at the parts catalog for about 10 minutes and tried my best to reassemble in the right order. The weights on the mechanical advance actually swing out now. I got the cap/button/condenser/breaker from Lavoy. You may notice that the plastic cap that goes over those components but under the distributor cap is broken. This allows rain to funnel into the distributor and consequently creates an unfriendly spark creating environment. Any idea where I can get another one. It also orients rotation of the distributor cap, right???

... and a picture of the front. Tons of caked up grease and oil. This is after 4 pressure washing sessions. I don't know if all this grease is from the hydraulic pump or something else? Any likely culprits? Should I replace the front main seal while I can get to the front easily?

Some of you may see that the valve cover is green. So is the governor housing, oil filter cover and some other parts. The block was painted with that rust preventative paint before I acquired it. What do you think this means? I suspect its a different engine but I wouldn't know from what. The upper water neck manifold does not have a thermostat.
1959 John Deere 440 Gas

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 am

The engine is out of an M series tractor or crawler, so it has been changed at some point in its life.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:28 pm

You may notice that the plastic cap that goes over those components but under the distributor cap is broken.
The broken piece is called a dust cover. My crawler's distributor is made by delco-remy. Lavoy will probably be able to get you a new dust cover. While you have the distributor apart, I, and others, have found that the insulator that goes through the distributor and serves the wire from the coil is often cracked and can cause problems - both parts are fairly inexpensive. Good luck working through your challenges - you've taken on a project, but it looks like you know your way around tools.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

omega
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by omega » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 pm

The broken piece is called a dust cover...While you have the distributor apart, I, and others, have found that the insulator that goes through the distributor and serves the wire from the coil is often cracked and can cause problems - both parts are fairly inexpensive.
Perfect - yes I will definitely replace both. The old insulator and assembly was all chewed up. I had cut an 8-32 threaded rod and ceramic insulator to replace it but they don't fit like the original components
1959 John Deere 440 Gas