440icd

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

440icd

Post by emichaelhaynes » Thu May 04, 2006 11:37 am

WHAT HAVE I DONE??!??

http://tinyurl.com/mcevr

supposedly driven by a little old lady from puyallup on sundays after prayer meetings.

the owner wanted 800 for the winch, that would have doubled the price. i'm looking to put a three point hitch out back.

all the big pieces are there, more or less. supposed it sat for the last three years cuz old fords are the hot ticket in the great northwet.

can anybody spare a gallon of yellow?

just how common is it to weld a lockout across the gate to 4th and 5th gears?

michael

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 04, 2006 2:44 pm

Looks to me like you got yourself a project. Not a bad looking old girl, at least it is all in one piece. 831 loader is a real workhorse, way more than the size of the crawler would lead you to believe.
For the money you have in it, you did just fine, leaves lots of money leftover for the fixup. Have fun.
Lavoy

steamfitter99
430 crawler
430 crawler

440 ICD

Post by steamfitter99 » Thu May 04, 2006 4:48 pm

Michael, Excellent find. If you do not have a manual there is someone on this site that sells a cd for the 440, well worth the investment. Good luck. Tom

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by emichaelhaynes » Thu May 04, 2006 10:51 pm

It actually came with a genuine "for john deere tractors" service manual for the engine but if whomever has the cd is listening, I'm looking. I can scan the manual if anyone is interested. The cover is pretty tatty but the rest is in decent shape.

michael

kstivers
40C crawler
40C crawler

your manual

Post by kstivers » Sun May 21, 2006 12:21 pm

Michael, I would kill for a copy of that manual
moveitall haulin

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

my manual

Post by emichaelhaynes » Sun May 21, 2006 5:09 pm

kstivers, nobody i want dead at the moment but i'll take a rain check. i'll see what i can do about the manual.

michael

kstivers
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by kstivers » Wed May 24, 2006 11:38 am

Michael, got the manuals. thanks!!
just what I needed to get started. nothing like working with the right tech data. thanks again
moveitall haulin

tinkerer
420 crawler
420 crawler

I love it

Post by tinkerer » Fri May 26, 2006 5:37 am

That is one nice find Michael.I want one.what year is it?

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

why you don't want to shop where i do

Post by emichaelhaynes » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:02 am

found it on the local craigs list:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html

so far...

rebuilt the radiator myself. nobody would touch it. top tank had several large cracks around the filler neck. reinforced it with two small sample sheets of eighteen guage brass. buttoned it up and... there's another long crack that i missed running along the last row of the core... draper tractors here locally had a diesel radiator in stock. called them up and double checked. no problem. awright! open the box up soon as i had a chance, gas radiator... same thing really, 'cept for the top and bottom tank. cussed a blue streak, sent that one back, got a refund. out with the torch again. fixed it this time. well... coupla pinholes in the core but that's what stopleak is for...

while i had the radiator off...

by the way, did you know that with an 831 loader you gotta pull the shell and the hydraulic tank to get to the radiator?

water pump's got rocks in the bearings. fan's got rocks in the bearing. in fact the fan bearing shaft is bent. did i mention how much i hate people who use a hammer to press things together? doesn't matter... fan mount's been busted and brazed together in three places, water pump mount been broken and brazed together. extract the brass from this thing i may recoup my initial expense... since Lavoy don't deal in gm diesel... found someone in houston who would sell me a rebuilt 4-53 water pump for 85 bucks (pn is 5144686, gotta swap your old pulley is the difference). I ordered it over the phone, paid for it right there with a cc, the bastids shipped it cod. called me up and told me so. had to refuse it, wait for it to go back, wait for them to reship it, wait for it to get here, wait till the weekend so i can take it down to my shop eighty miles south of where my crawler is (i'll explain that part some other time, this post is getting a little long in the tooth). properly pulled the pulley using the threaded holes in front only to find that some one used a gear puller and broke it too. (got some more brass.)

while i was at it i pulled the wiring. the generator mount yielded some more brass, the instrument panel (no brass here, just some extra large holes), found a good set of instruments cheap on ebay. made a new panel outa quarter inch alum. you don't have to know how i bent quarter inch aluminum cuz i'm gonna tell anyhow... mill a slot across the back with a... er... can't give all my secrets away. anyhow, easy peazy.

made those brass handles for the steering levers too. right one looks longer because the right lever is missing the woodruff key and the lever stops where it wants too.

there i was sitting in my new seat... did i mention that the old seat was fine but, needed cushions (which cost a hunert and eighty bucks or 179.95 on ebay), needed new adjusters, new subframe (no brass this time but a large assortment of scrap welded on here and there), and did i mention that the new seat is "made in the USA", costs seventy bucks from northerntool and has adjusters included and i only had to do a little welding and straightening on the base to mount it.

anyhow...

there i was sitting in my new seat... looking at the clods of dirt over the right final. i dismount my throne... start scratching around with a screwdriver.... there's no effing quill over here.

Lavoy, i says, you gotta get me a new quill and everthing. and Lavoy says old man, you gotta pull that pinion gear out see how the bearing is behind it. took me a while but i'm nothing if not determined.

that's the last photo. gonna pull the outer race and what's left of the oil seal in the afternoon this day.

you really don't wanna shop where i shop
michael

Last edited by emichaelhaynes on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

did i forget to tell you about the govenor

Post by emichaelhaynes » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:04 am

another reason you shouldn't shop where i do. or two or three...

was working on getting some of the slop out the throttle linkage, govenor link wan't moving but everything else had a inch or more total slop. pulled the govenor, buffer screw is all the way in, 'splains that. but the bearing is bad and the shaft is bent. last person to work on it musta put the gear on with a hammer...

did i mention i hate people that install gears with a hammer...

did i mention that a water pump showed up on ebay same time i finally installed mine for all of forty bucks...

did i mention that both steering clutch housings have been broken and welded back together with nickel... there goes my brass mine...

did i mention why i'm up at this hour. the answer is blackberries. wife loves them. feel like i've been beaten with a porcupine that was, uh, fully erect.

sleepless and somewhat north of seattle
michael

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:15 am

The guys you got the radiator from should have known better, but that is the way it goes.
Are you going to try and pull the seal from the outside, that should be exciting.
Lavoy

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

more pics

Post by emichaelhaynes » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:50 am

a pic of the 3 wire alternator installation. not quite complete. the unattached white wire is for the tach signal. most 1 and 3 wire alternators do not have a tach output although one is easy enough to make. after living on and cruising aboard a good sized sailboat for many years my electrical systems tend to be somewhat bullet proof. that woud be why i ran 6 gauge power and grounds from the alternator directly to the battery. the lower mount was welded up from some scrap to replace the mostly brassed up original. the upper arm is stock. that's a fenner link belt driving it. and yes, the motor is running.

close to 14 volts on the voltmeter, 40 psi oil pressure, and the engine is barely warm. turning at 750 rpm, the tach as mentioned above is not connected. i do have one of those cheap ($24.95) laser tachs to keep tabs on everything.

michael

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:37 am

Where did you get a laser tach for that money? I have looked at them for years, and always seem to be over $100.
lavoy

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

laser tach

Post by emichaelhaynes » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:51 am

http://tinyurl.com/lvjnt

ebay, where else...

course its an import, but then so is the blue point snap on sells for a whole lot more.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:29 pm

Gee, guess what I just bought?
Lavoy