440icd

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:36 am

Hi,

Another crawler? :P

I figure it's a $25 laser tach, but guessing another crawler *would* be a good one, wouldn't it? :P :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:12 am

Okay, you got me there, just the tach.
Lavoy

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

progress?

Post by emichaelhaynes » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:14 am

this engine actually ran pretty good... good grief!

detroits have two valve springs, one on the valve and one on the pushrod. you don't normally see the pushrod spring. for you gas folk the middle pushrod, spring and rocker are for the injector. the outer ones are exhausts. yeah, that's right, two exhausts per cylinder. normal for detroits, unless of course you have four. guess which valve was sticking...

guess which cylinder was leaking into the water jacket? DDs are dry decked; individual o-rings for each cylinder, oil and water passage. so a cylinder has to leak past its own o-ring and penetrate another o-ring to get into the cooling system. no problem!

what happens when you put an oil pan on backwards? well, nothing at first... the "sump" on the oil pan tries to eat a hole in the skid plate but... the skid plate, being made of much heavier steel eats through the oil pan first. and if you're a complete idiot you take a torch and burn a new hole in the skid plate so you can change the oil. the little shiny dot is where the oil pan lost its will to hold back the flow. actually it was the crap inside the oil pan that held back the flow. don't think the idiot changed the oil much either.

on the other hand... this is the first fitting of my new ho' made draw bar... will have a three point hitch when finished. wonder if Lavoy has a cylinder bracket lying around somewhere?

this is a K&N cleanable reusable air filter. they come in a variety of sizes and shapes. my filter can had nothing in it and i don't think its worth the trouble. that's pvc pipe and fittings. i'll paint them when i paint everything else.

michael

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:23 am

I am suprised there is not a pic of what a crawler looks like when a guy cuts a hole in the pan that if full of oil, and the whole works bursts into flames!
Lavoy

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

burning crawler photo op

Post by emichaelhaynes » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:13 am

i'm not the idiot that cut the hole in the bottom nor put the pan on backward so i missed that photo op. considering how much oily crap was in the skid plate...

michael