I bought it, but I havent brought it home yet my 450 6 way

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

I bought it, but I havent brought it home yet my 450 6 way

Post by Scottyb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:19 am

I went out today to look over the dozer (450c) I bought last week at the Richie Bros auction. I have wanted a 6 way dozer since the first time I saw one and there is far fewer of them in this farm country than loaders. I ended up buying a dozer that has been equipped for pipe line work with a side boom. I plan to remove all of the boom sometime soon. I think I got a real nice Deere, and I would have loaded it up today but the weatherman has promised that in a few days it might warm up to a balmy -15 c (Canadian for +5 f) and that would be a lot better than the wind chill today of -35 c (-31 f) .

I am needing suggestions for something to use the side boom for once it is removed????

Some photos

ImageImage

Nice little winch came with the side boom...

It had to hold myself back to keep from bidding on this fun looking dump tracked unit. Just about put up my hand, just to take out for a spin. Sold for 8500.

Scott
Last edited by Scottyb on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:35 am

The side boom is good for a hydraulic driven mower. Its what is used for mowing the other side of guard rails and steep embankments on highways. Although if it is rubber tired you would need a counterweight on other side of tractor.

Also if you need the tractor shipped to yourself. Look up a company uship.com, they are the ones you see on the satellite tv "shipping wars"
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: I bought it, but I havent brought it home yet my 450 6 w

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Scottyb wrote: I went out today to look over the dozer (450c) I bought last week at the Richie Bros auction.

It had to hold myself back to keep from bidding on this fun looking dump tracked unit. Just about put up my hand, just to take out for a spin. Sold for 8500.

Scott
I almost did this myself at a Ritchie Brothers auction for a crawler mounted crane :shock: :lol:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Nice Looking 450C

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:13 pm

It does look like a nice straight tractor.

My dad and I have done 4 deconverions to date and all but the winches were put in the scrap pile. I have thought of making a jib attachment for one of our 450C loader cats from the stick. We have a piece of square tubing attached to the bucket and supported by chains in service, but the bucket is fairly obstructive.

A few items to check for that I've found on sidebooms

- rad mounts (square rubber mounts)
- exhaust rattled apart
- dozer can be slopply on the angle function, from being run in third gear down the right of way with the dozer up. Most of the time you can remove some shims to tighten it up.
- frame sections, check for cracks at the rear
- HLR speed shift - I have a seen a few set to shift slow as these little booms are usually run by labours and not operators

I am thinking this machine has the frount mounts for the narrow canopy, which I think you have one on your 450 outside mount dozer machine. You'll want to find some engine side guards as well, fairly easy to push the fan thru the rad.

You should have bought the dumper and resold it as it was a bargin. But then again you might have found a use for it at the cabin.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Nice looking 450c any idea how many hours? and if i can ask what did you have to give for her? You might want to put the boom and winch on an the back of old truck for a cherry picker
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:37 pm

I am pretty excited about getting this 6 way dozer. I have spent countless hours on my skid steers and until now all my crawler time has been on loaders. Big step up from my small bobcats for sure...

I have yet to find the time to get the 450 outside dozer, I bought without an engine in it.. going.(although I have a good engine in a doner 450). I can't wait to do some landscaping with my new dozer. Busy with work so having moved up to this one that is ready or near ready to work fits my life better right now and the inside dozer is going to be the right machine for my small property.

Jason, thanks for the heads up on what to watch for in the conversion. Already I know that a top rad mount is broken but otherwise the first quick look over was positive. The Rops off my outside 450 will be just great on this one and I looked it over the other day and I think you are right about it fitting as is.

I looked on line to get an idea of what I had in this PL4 pullmaser winch. You might want to go out to the scrap pile and have another look. The fishing industry uses them on boats of all kinds for everything from anchor lines to cranes. Many of the postings I saw had sold on them for a lot of money. http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com/bo ... ulic-winch

JT, I did not see a hour clock on it on first inspection and it was not noted on the auction information. It came from a complete close out sale our of a company that had a lot of equipment at the sale, and all that I looked at appeared well maintained. Not all old stuff, some new graders and etc. In the photos you can see a 450b that was sold after my c and it went for 5500 plus 12.5% sales taxes and fees. My c was a little less than double that but I saw the undercarriage on the b was at the end of its life and it was listed as needing one steering clutch/brake repaired. I already have a small collection of crawlers needing repair.

Bonus on my C is that I got all three manuals, technical, parts and operators all in very nice condition. I should sell them to a collector and buy a deer pdf as I get them messed up in no time.

Tigerhaze, I don't think I have seen a crane mounted crawler yet, but I left the sale upset at myself for not trying to get that tracked dumpster. I thought about it all night before the sale, and then choked when it was time to bid. I would have had to sell it but, as Jason noted, their was money to be made there. I saw one last night advertised for 39,000. :(
I think inside, I couldn't think of how I would explain it to my wife if I couldn't let it go.

I like the idea of mounting my side boom to the back of a old truck and, I do have an old one ton dump that runs fine with a poor box that would be interesting. I will think that one over however, as for the next year I have enough projects waiting.

Thanks guys for replying to my posts

Scott
backhoe attachment.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 pm

The crawler mounted crane was very cool- it was meant for the logging industry and had a 35' extendable boom with rear stabilizers. it was run by a Detroit 6 cylinder engine and I foget the picking weight limit but it was at least 5 tons or something similar.

I didn't buy because I couldn't inspect in person due to work so was unsure of running condition. I thought it would go for a lot more than the $1K it went for so it must have been in non running condition but would have been so cool to have for raising barn joists or I-beams, picking logs, setting bridge decks over creeks on my farm, picking up the front or rear of my other crawlers, etc. :lol:

Those Ritchie Brother auctions are awesome as long as you inspect and know what you are buying beforehand- I have bought from them many times things you woiuld never find at a reasonable price elsewhere.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 am

You are right about those Richie sales. The amount of stuff they sell there is amazing. I was kidding about the wife thing and that dumper, really I also had not looked it over properly or did the necessary homework to be able to bid on it. I was way outside my comfort zone even though I was confident that it was selling far below it's value. What I did miss at the sale was two sets of pallet forks for my skid steers. I have one set now and three bobcats in different locations so I am moving the forks around all the time. They sold
a dozen or more at the sale, unused for 550.00 +-.

Scott
backhoe attachment.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 am

I am participating in a local RB Auction online right now due to work- I missed one really good deal this morning but hadn't inspected and am leery of buying from them without doing so. I have seen them drive forklifts and other things over the ramp using ether the whole time (leaning over and spraying the can as they drive-too comical) which you would never see in the online bidding.

The skid steer attachments are a hot item at those auctions but they consistently go below retail- I have two sets of forks for my Bobcats (610 and 630) they I got from them for around $450 American.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Ritchie boom purchases

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:37 pm

I just got my own 450c boom cat at Ritchie's here in edmonton today. Still certified and ready for a pipeline job. If I don't sell it as a boom by spring it will be de-converted and sold as a Dozer.
Jason Benesch

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Jason, the 450c you have purchased has two cables to the boom I noticed. The same with the 450b that sold in Saskatoon earlier this month. Is that the normal setup? The one I have has a single winch drum and one really big ram.
I have a friend that is looking for a ram for a log splitter, I should drop it off to him just for laughs.
backhoe attachment.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Sideboom styles

Post by JWB Contracting » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:51 pm

The style of boom you have is less common and has not been used for some time. I had a cat D4D and D3 with style as well. However, Volvo is making sidebooms out of excavators and uses cylinders for the boom function and a winch for the load line. The company I work for is renting a paid if these shortly so ill find out if there any good. There is getting to be a shortage of D7 and larger sidebooms with all the pipeline work going on in western Canada. If I'm lucky, I can find a buyer pipeline buyer for this boom, it's even certified until May.

We did some tinkering on the 450C today, really just needed a throttle cable as it was freezing up. We detached it at the injection pump side, attached 3 feet of rubber hose, spayed some lubricant in and the hose clamed our air blower nozzle to it. I could faintly hear air hissing out the other end but didn't see any fluid leak. If it still freezes up we'll have to buy a new one.

Turned out to be a very nice crawler. Starts well at minus 15 with a quick shot of either. The undercarriage is fairly good, but not as good as yours.
Jason Benesch

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

I bought and now I have it home my 450c 6way dozer

Post by Scottyb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 pm

I picked up my 450c today. Started up nicely at -15c. Everything seems to be working as it should. I can see a few leaks in the fuel system have caused it to gather some dirt around the injector pump and fuel filter. A small leak as well around the PTO shaft but,..... it has a PTO shaft! I saw all those before I bought it, none of them amount to much of a problem. The chains are stiff and the ride on frozen ground is rather rough because some of the pins are siezed, the same as my 450b loader with the the new chains (very very rough ride as I have yet to soak the tracks in a pond). I was able to try out the 6 way blade for the first time, and I will say... the T bar control is smoother than I expected. For now it will sit and wait for warmer weather to come in the spring. I see we are only a few nights from the days getting longer once again.

Scott
backhoe attachment.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:02 pm

OK, I had to reply to my own post because, #1, I just found a place in the parking lot where I can get internet after trying for two days in my room with no luck...
And #2 I sound like such a whiner in my last post complaining about the cold, It seems that way now anyway because the sun is setting here in Mexico and it is 32c outside.....
I cant figure out the degrees F right now because of all the Coronas but it is d*** warmer than at home.
I plan to look around just to see if their is any Deere crawlers here, although I have not seen any driving around.

Scott
backhoe attachment.

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Well if (deg C X 1.8 ) + 32 = deg F , 32C = 89.6F Yea that ought to be warm enough for a while. Do you have your crawler down there also?
Bryce
:lol:
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK