John Deere 440 ICD Rebuild

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

John Deere 440 ICD Rebuild

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:58 am

I bought this crawler with an unknown drive train issue. I wanted an ICD and it had a complete 3 point hitch, although the rockshaft mounting is dammaged and some joints are seized up.

I started on the afternoon of the 26th and spend about 3 full days on it with the help of my dad. He pushed it in shop for me before Christmas and diagnosed it as having a broke input shaft on the transmission.

I spit the tracks, pulled the final drives and then the transmission while my dad was rebuilding a tranny for me. He had a good 5 speed with a broken input shaft and salvaged a shaft out of another transmission.

Once we got the tranny out, it turned out he had miss diagnosed the transmission. Instead of a broken input shaft, it must have been run with no oil in it as all the bearings were toast. Not sure how anyone could run it in this condition, we were hoping to salvage the crown and pinnion but looks like only the case could be reused.

I noticed one axle had lots of play. I pulled the final drive apart and had to do a complete re-build on it. Took some time to find the correct gears and had to pull another final drive appart to get them. I remember my dad making me remove 55 tooth final drives over 5 years and installing 56 tooth ones on a for sale unit. Nice that we had them. Took me a while to figure out how to assemble, best to remove the inside bearing race and install the bearing and race from the outside. My dad had me assemble, tighten the 2 bolts retaining the axle, then we inserted 2 wedges behind the gear and hit the sprocket end of the axle to seat the gear firmly on the axle. I was suprised when I got a full turn on both retaining bolts. I will be checking both axles for play after playing with it for a while. Also replaced both seals in the axle, re-used a top seal and found a new one in the seal collection.

I dissassembled both clutches and cleaned them up in our bead blast cabinet. The fibre discs still had the part number painted on them, but had some rust on them. Cleaned up nice, brake bands and pressure plates were as new. The clutches must have both been rebuild and then left to sit. The covers on both steering clutches were removed when I got it. My dad rebuild both steering clutch linkages and swapped out one of the clutch housing's as it was poor.

Before putting it back together, I had to free up the clutch and brake pedals. I secured one pedal and then gentlly come-alonged the other one forward and it came loose. Also removed the brake pedal and hammered the shaft thru so I could lubricate the clutch side. Replaced the brake petal as the tab to connect the brake had been repaired. Oiled it down and then put some grease over the internal parts.

One track tighener had been repaired, so while the track was apart we installed an original 440 style adjuster.

Before starting, we pulled the valve cover to ensure the injectors were not stuck. Was nice and clean inside. I was told it ran good, but you never known when you buy a machine by picture. We pumped about 5 litres of oil into the engine thru the filter until we had oil coming out of the rockers.

Smoked without using eiter, but took a little shot to get it running. Runs very clean, very happy how it runs. Needs either on cold start, I may adjust the fuel rack to open all the way when a full throtle. I will need to get some help from my dad on this.

Items left:

1. The generator was found to be turning over without the engine running, going to have it rebuilt and get a new regulator. My dad can't remember how they are supposed to work, I will get our rebuild shop to explain it to me.

2. PTO assembly, bearings are gone. Need to replace the seals and bearings. Had to install it as couldn't find a spare cover.

3. Find a new seat and support bracket. The previous owner cut the seat back so the 3 point hitch would lift all the way up. Should have a good one under the snow. Will have to order new seat cushions.

4. Grill and hard nose. Grill should be easy to find, but the hard nose has a couple of broken out grill mounting tabs. Hope I don't have to steal one from one of my dad's machines.

5. Gauges - There but not functioniong, will get back to them once I have the charging system working again. Wiring looks good but fairly brittle.

6. Blade - I would like to install a new cutting edge. Also, the dozer blade may have been on a loader machine as it had the tabs to connect the dozer to a loader. I cut them off, but need to finish grinding the welds and weld one spot. The two wear feet are missing, I could try and make them but might get lucky and find a couple.

7. Loose Pad - there are atleast 3 loose pads, will have to remove and install new bolts.

8. Need a new muffler.

9. Hydrualic Hoes - there okay but some have been replaced with incorrect length hoes. There are probably some factory retainers, I'll have to check the parts manual and get some new hoses and route correctly.

I am very happy so far on how the 440 has turned out. Very original, no broken or repaired housings, no broken bolts. I don't think I'll worry about paint for now, just original and complete is all I am going for. I enjoy using them a bit and now issues keeping it in its work cloths.

It was nice to be able to work on it continuously over the holidays and was lucky that I was able to scrounge up all the parts that I needed. It has lots of power for pushing snow in 3rd gear, runs excellent, reverser works nice and steers excellent. Tracks are fairly decent and had a recently had the pins and bushings replaced. For some reason, I really like the 440 crawler vs. a 1010 or 350.

I think the next project is a low serial number MC, I think its under 150. This is my dad's crawler and he thinks it would be a shame not to fix one with this low of serial number. Going to be fairly extensive, engine is seized, undercarriage is finished, will need both steering clutches rebuild. It has a tool bar dozer. Fairly rough looking, but we have 3 non-running parts crawlers and a good set of undercarriage for it. I will finally find out the joy of adjusting MC steering cluches. I haven't worked on an MC since I was maybe 12 years old.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:37 am

Congratulations on another classic rebuild. Although I see you still have a list of items remaining to finish this project, you again have completed much of the restoration ( with your Dads expert help !) in such an amazing short amount of time.
As an amateur restorer of these old Deeres, your post on this and other projects, are very motivating to me, and I am sure to others as well.
Indeed, without the detailed accounts from you and the others, who are also equally generous with their technical knowledge and encouragement on this site, beginners like myself might never have found the pleasure of ownership.

Great post, nice crawler, Happy new year to you both!

? Is the three point hitch going back on eventually ?

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:51 am

Nice job with this Jason. I can't believe you were able to get all that work done in such a short time period. It is nice that you have lots of spare parts so that you don't have to track stuff down and wait for it to get to your place.
Sounds like the old detroit is in good shape. Mine takes a bit of ether to get going when its cold out too. I've been looking for a way to put a block heater on it because I hate using ether and cranking that thing for a while when it's cold.
If you switch to different gauges let me know. I'm in dire need of an original oil pressure and water temp. gauge.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Buddy of mine put a 3-53 block heater in his, but he had to bend the element a little bit for clearance, not sure I like that idea. Another guy I know drilled a hole in the plate in the head, then welded a pipe coupling to it, and installed "block" heater from one of the horizontal two cylinders.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com