My new dozer... 350C

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Toomanytractors
40C crawler
40C crawler

My new dozer... 350C

Post by Toomanytractors » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Hey All. I'm new to this website. Just bought a 350C. It's being delivered to my place this Saturday. I have several other tractors and one track loader (Case 310). My dad bought an OC-4 back when I was a little kid, and I've always wanted to own a dozer of my own ever since. Now that I'm nearing retirement I decided it was time to buy one.

I might have jumped too fast on this machine. In my area John Deere 350's are very popular, and after testing this one out I wanted to get it. Truth is I didn't know a lot about these machines, and did my homework after I completed the deal with the seller (not wise). As you can see from the pictures the dozer looks good. The seller said his mechanic replaced the main hydraulic lines, front transmission seals, and a new water pump on it. After we made the deal he added that the previous owner claimed he rebuilt the engine and installed new brake bands. (Who knows for sure)

The rear sprockets looked nearly worn out (spikey), so I supposed there might well be major track work in the near future, but there was still quite an amount of adjustment left in it. What I didn't know/do was count the links. In the pictures I took I got 35... oops. Looking at the approximate price that I can get parts for, new and used, and seeing that the clutches, transmission, brakes, engine, all work properly, and hopefully will for a while, I think the $8700.00 delivered price (90 miles one way) is still somewhat reasonable.

If I manage to include the pictures you can see that the tractor has rop and a six way blade... two things I absolutely wanted to have. This machine will only be used to maintain some farm trails and possibly dig out a foundation in the future. I will be looking for parts soon. My plan is to buy my undercarriage parts in advance and then, later, rebuild it.

I've enjoyed reading the many different posts on this sight. Let me know what you think of my 350C. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I might well have paid too much, but that's all part of a learning experience. My thoughts had been was to buy low and put money into fixing up what needed to be done instead of buying high and finding out I got stuck with a fixer upper. I think I managed that.
I look forward to hearing from those of you more experienced folks.
Ray

[/img] Sorry about the lack of pictures. If someone will show/tell me how to download a picture here I will put one in. By that time I should know more about the machine.
How sad it is when one sees only the machine and not the artistry of heart and soul that designed it.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Welcome to the site.

On this site you can't upload photos directly, but you can use a third party site like Photobucket and then link to it from here. Here is a thread I wrote describing how to do it; the Photobucket site has changed a little since then but it is essentially the same process.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=3690

I have some thoughts about your undercarriage predicament but would like to see the photos before I give an opinion.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Toomanytractors
40C crawler
40C crawler

Thanks.

Post by Toomanytractors » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks again for the information. I will try to get this picture stuff figured out and post some pictures early next week... seeing I can't get internet at home. Whatever you are able to suggest regarding the undercarriage would be helpful.
How sad it is when one sees only the machine and not the artistry of heart and soul that designed it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:31 pm

350 undercarriage used to be readily available, now not so much, but still not the end of the world. One of my suppliers has stopped importing rails I know, but I have been able to get them from a different supplier. Last ones I sold were $1000/each I think for new bare rails. Sprockets are normally $200/each, believe I am out of stock, but have been able to get them. Front idlers are real tough, and spendy when I have found them, but they did include side brackets I think, so that is a plus.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Toomanytractors
40C crawler
40C crawler

350C parts

Post by Toomanytractors » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks Lavoy
I do intend to buy new rails and sprockets in the near future. The dozer was delivered Saturday. I parked it on wood planking, but it was just too cold for me to do much fiddling other than to take a few measurements. The rails are worn past 100% and the sprockets are shot, as far as salvage ability is concerned. Whoever removed the 36th link did a nice looking job reinstalling the system. A new top idler was installed, I don't know about bottom rollers. The front idlers have straight side faces, but the inside faces are about 1/8" narrower than the outside. This makes the rails ride about a 1/4" off the idler. When I do the work I was hoping that I could either flip, or switch, the idlers so that the wider faces are on the inside.

How much do the rails and sprockets weigh, and what would freight be for delivery to western NY (near Olean). My thought is to by all the primary parts in advance. Then, after I have played a bit with the machine, and gotten a few of my projects done, I'll tear down the undercarriage and redo it.

Ray

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:54 pm

I wouldn't worry about switching idlers, they have just been run a little out of line, and need to be shimmed square.
I don't dare guess on freight any more, I am always wrong now with fuel surcharges and such. In your part of the world, you might find someone that has the parts in stock, so freight could be a huge factor.
When you get to that point, I can always check on prices too.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:57 pm

If the wear is excessive, the other approach could be to "build up" the worn portions of your front idlers with work-hardening product. It is not necessarily cheap especially if you have to hire a weldor, but would keep you from having to find new front idlers. If you do a search on this board you can find some of those previous discussions.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Toomanytractors
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Toomanytractors » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Hello. Here's some pictures. As you can see, the undercarriage hasn't got a lot of life left in it... learning lesson. But I think there's enough life for me to play with it for a while. If you have some idea's please let me know. Thanks.
[/img]Image

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Grousers are good, I wouldn't replace them. Upper idler is shot, lots of bushing wear, looks like a lot of pin boss wear which can mean worn idlers.
Lavoy

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 pm

right upper roller is shot for sure i think Lavoy meant to say that your lower rollers may be bad that is where you get the boss wear .... new pins and bushings, 2 links, 2 pads and sprockets a few rollers and you will be good for many years or later get new tracks and 2 pads until then run it till the tracks start coming off
Last edited by jtrichard on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Toomanytractors
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 undercarriage

Post by Toomanytractors » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Yea. That's what I imagined. If I do the work myself the cost to rebuild should be reasonable. The hour meter reads 940, so I doubt it has worked for years. With the other work the seller did, and with all the fluids changed, I think it will be a decent machine for the price. We'll see.

Toomanytractors
40C crawler
40C crawler

Service Manuals

Post by Toomanytractors » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Got my 350C service manuals yesterday. Now that I have a better idea what I will need, I'm saving up my money to rebuild the undercarriage. What I plan to do is run the dozer this summer... and possibly next... I don't have a lot of work to do with it, and the following summer I will tear down the undercarriage and replace what needs to be replaced.

I'm going to start buying up what I need ahead of time, so that when I come to do the work I'll have most of the parts already.

I have designed a hydraulic master track pin remover that I will build this spring. They make vertical/horizontal bottle jacks, which I'm going to incorporated in the driver's construction. My total cost should be well under two hundred dollars. This way I won't have to hammer the machine to death, or possibly hurt someone in the removal process. Plus, I'll have a 50 ton bottle jack to use for other purposes.

The device I've designed is simple, and there will be no need to remove any pads to do the work. I will also be able to use the device to reinstall the master pins.

This looks like it will be a fun project. I have most of the equipment and tools already to do the work. I don't have an enclosed workspace for it though, so will do my repairs in the summer. I'll keep you all updated as things progress.