New 40c Owner

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
boxygen
MC crawler
MC crawler

New 40c Owner

Post by boxygen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi all,
I recently inherited a 40c. Physically it is is good shape. It has a probably 15 year old "restoration." It doesnt appear to have lived a terribly hard life. It does need some steering clutch work on the left side. It starts and runs but will only turn to the right. I have ordered the service manual and will be getting into that eventually. I have searched the threads to see if anyone had done a pictorial thread on doing a complete steering clutch replacement but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for?

My neighbor also has a 40c with a loader down to his farm. It is complete but hasnt run in at least 10 years. He did a bunch of work to it before it sat including steering clutches. This machine has been rode hard and put away wet. Its rough, I dont think there is any paint left on it. Welds everywhere. But it is complete, and I bet we could get it running without much trouble. He said I could have it for parts. I would accept, but I hate to part out something complete that is functional. The loader is an old pipe frame unit, not something Im really interested in. I think I'll take a stab at this unit too. I am a real sucker for a project. Especially a free project. Last week I had zero crawlers, now I have two projects! I guess I'll open the wallet and turn it upside down. :lol:
I'll try to get some photos up for all to see.
40c

wizner85
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by wizner85 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 pm

The following week you hear a scream from the kitchen as your wife opens up the bank statement and notices all the charges you've made to a Lavoy Wilcox. You then calm her down and state how this is an investment, and worth every penny.
You can always sleep with them out in the garage - after a couple of beers its nice to have the silence.
I'll let Stan D do the quote for you that he is famous for....
440 ICD 64 blade & 8a gear attic winch
440 ICD 831 loader with scarifier and weights
420 62 blade 3pt
Looking for 24 scarifier and 440 log arch

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi,

Ha! Yep. There it is. Right at the bottom.... :P

I want a project myself. Another straight 350, diesel, outside mount manual blade. No reverser. Like the one I useta have.

Free sounds great. Until I think about how that works..... ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)