JD 420 C with Loader and Backhoe

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
jdjoe_indiana
420 crawler
420 crawler

Crawler Finally HOME!!

Post by jdjoe_indiana » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Well made the journey home with my prize. Was a short on sleep and lot of driving weekend. I am nuts for going so far. Boy Lavoy this thing is heavy. I am attaching pics of it. Well it's a 5 roller, 4 spd, with reverser, and rear hydraulics. It didn't have the tach option or pto. Looks in as expected condition, sat in a row of pines in Georgia for around 15 years. Only disappointments are the brake inspection plates were off while it sat, so everything in rear end will need to be dissassembled. Also the gentleman that I bought it from said his dad took the carb and dist. off and he is still looking to find those. I hope he finds them!! I am happy that it's got the reverser. Looks as though this will be a several year restoration. I know every hose on the loader and backhoe will be needing replaced. The cylinders have good chrome and no pits that I can see. How do you guys think the sprocket looks as for wear. Also note in the pics it looks to have had a base coat of green, does this mean it was a ag version? Please send me pics of if you have this backhoe or loader. I would love to see what a restored one looks like so I can put in on the garage wall for encouragment. Also found out that a dodge cummins is shut down when it gets close to overheating!!! What!! Joe
Joe Hartman - JD 420C 5 roller, 4spd, reverser. Henery Loader and Backhoe
44 JD B
51 JD MT
52 JD MT
58 JD 730 D RC
39 JD H
86 JD 420 GT
65 JD 110 RF
2002 Dodge Cummins

hoodeleydoo
MC crawler
MC crawler

Henry loaders are great

Post by hoodeleydoo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:36 am

Congratulations on your machine. I have been reading this messgaeboard for a while & I finally joined.

The henry loader is great. I have a 1956 5 roller 420 with the henry loader. It is a perfect size to use and work on.
I have a blade, a bucket, and I am modifying a grate/rock bucket.

I have some manuals for the loader etc.
There is really nothing that you need from it. You can make or have made all the parts you need. The bushings are bronze and the pins are steel.
I am going to change mine to steel bushings and pins.
They are a "low" pressure loaders. they are a bit slow but will do what you need.
The only really issue I have is with the valve. I have to overhaul it. If I can't repair it I am going to swap it out with any other loader valve I can get cheap.

I really like the loader it is strong enough to do a good amount of work, tough unit, and it is light enough to work on and transport.
There is nothing on the loader that you can't fix or have repaired relatively easy. Its made the old fashioned way....simple and tough.

They made some cool attachments fo rthe loaders, dozer blades that are straight and angled, rock buckets, hay/manure, rippers, & tool bars, etc.
You can make things for it too that are really simple and it will look almost original.
I wish I had a henry backoe. and a cab.

One suggestion, be careful with those high grousers on hard or compacted material, the henry has long arms that push the load pretty far out when the boom is level. It can put some serious stress on the machine especially when you try to turn. I have snow shoes that work great (12" wide). I put about 300+ pounds of counterweight on the back of my dozer and it will handle a struck load of wet sand quite well.

One more suggestion - be very finicky with the loader oil. The original filter was a wire mesh tube on the suction side that looked like a cherry bomb muffler. The hydrauliic system is very sensitive to air and water. I put an aftermarket canister/screw on filter in its place. Make sure you have NO air leaks on the supply side to the pump. The loader works OK until it starts to clog up. If it does the pump will whine and cavitate to let you know. If your boom and bucket pistons do not react solidly and they creep quickly or even jamb - change or clean the oil.
the boom pistons trap a lot of air and foam that creates headaches.
I change the oil almost every year. I put a magnetic block heater on the side of the tanks to help keep the oil warm in the winter and from condensation during the spring and fall.

I really like my dozer & loader. its a perfect size and capability.
How far have you gotten with yours???
1956 420C with Henry loader