JD 420 C with Loader and Backhoe

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
jdjoe_indiana
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD 420 C with Loader and Backhoe

Post by jdjoe_indiana » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:02 pm

I have just bought my first crawler. Has a Hendry loader and backhoe. I haven't got it home yet but I am researching all I can. Does anyone own one with the Henry attachments? How do they compare to the genuine JD? I have alot of work to do to this one, but for the bargin price of $1275. I can't complain. I will post a pic when I get her home. Where can I find manuals for the attachments? Or am I dreaming on that one?! I really enjoy this site, Thanks for all the good work you do! Joe :D

Hey guys I got some pics to post, still haven't got it home it's 750 miles from home, will be a couple weeks. Did I do ok on this purchase? Joe
Joe Hartman - JD 420C 5 roller, 4spd, reverser. Henery Loader and Backhoe
44 JD B
51 JD MT
52 JD MT
58 JD 730 D RC
39 JD H
86 JD 420 GT
65 JD 110 RF
2002 Dodge Cummins

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:40 am

The Henry loader and hoe are no where near as heavy built as the Deere loader and hoe. That being said, I would not want the Deere hoe on a 420, just too heavy.
As far as manuals, only hope would be E-bay or a literature dealer. Parts will be for the most part a make it yourself deal. It is likely that Henry used a lot of off the shelf components, so some may not be too bad.
That will be a neat rig when you get it done, should be real handy.
Lavoy

jdjoe_indiana
420 crawler
420 crawler

Not that great

Post by jdjoe_indiana » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:55 pm

I assume by lack of comments, I am the only one that would be excited about my purchase?! Will be getting it labor day weekend I hope. I am usure if this has a reverser. I know it is a 4 speed, how common was the reverser with the 4 speed?, more common on 5 speed models? Should I assume 5' wide and 12' long minus backhoe? Thanks Joe
44 JD B
51 JD MT
52 JD MT
58 JD 730 D RC
39 JD H
86 JD 420 GT
65 JD 110 RF
2002 Dodge Cummins

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:15 am

Hi,

Well, there were two reverser types used on the 420. The early one was a gear-type and the lever was on the right side of the dash. I can't tell if this style is on your machine, since the loader frame is in the way. I *think* the gear-type was only used with the 4-speed transmission.

The later style reverser is a differental/clutch type. It has the lever on the left side of the dash. It was only available with the 5-speed transmission. Plus, the differential reverser replaced the gear type and so the later 420's with 4-sp transmissions would not have a reverser.

As far as excitement goes, hey, you're getting a new toy. Of course you're excited! ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:09 am

If the crawler is an early crawler, under 100,000 serial number, it is less likely to have a reverser, but it is still possible.
All 420's regardless of transmission had the reverser as an option, but as Stan said, the VERY late 420's used the 430 reverser. You have to be above serial number 131,309 to have this type reverser. They only made about 2,200 Phase 3, 420 crawlers, and only the last of them were above that serial number, so not a real common deal. I have had two, still have one, and have known of only a few others.
If yours has a reverser, there will be a lever on one side of the dash or other. I have also had crawlers before that had a reverser, but soneone had removed the lever so that it could not be used.
Lavoy

jdjoe_indiana
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jdjoe_indiana » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:16 am

Well I have pic of serial plate. It is 102,???. Also one pic I believe the reverser handle on the right side, which would be the gear type right? However the loader frame is in the background so can't tell for sure. Also the knob is missing if it is the lever. On this type did the operator have to engage the cluch to shift the reverser I assume? I am buying a 12000lb winch monday to load this "hunk of junk, my wife calls it" . I will try loading a pic of the tracks. Let me know if you can tell any condition. I though the grousers looked nice. Thanks Joe

Yes I know I am the excited one, trying to think how to get it in my shop which is new, without tearing up the concrete since the tracks are froze " or brakes" I will have dozens of questions I am sure. Guys if any of you would like the Parts .pdf files for your crawer. I have the antique CD from deere and I believe I can email them to you. They would be free to all avid DEERE LOVERS! I know I would have them for the MC, 40, 420, 430. that's it. Joe
44 JD B
51 JD MT
52 JD MT
58 JD 730 D RC
39 JD H
86 JD 420 GT
65 JD 110 RF
2002 Dodge Cummins

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:36 am

Joe,
If you have one, take a gas axe with you when you go to get it. It may be that it is just the brake bands that are stuck, and may let go if you back the adjuster way off. You may need the torch to heat the adjusting nut to get it to go. In a pinch, I have just blown the brake band with the torch so I could get one to roll.
Bring a couple of planks to put under the tracks, you will never skid that one with grouser. I tried to drag the one that I restored last year on my trailer with a 9,000LB winch and a snatch block, and couldn't do it even with a tractor pushing, and that one had street shoes on it.
Tell the wife it is an investment.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:38 am

Hi,

Yup. Lever on the right side of the dash indicates the gear-type. You have to use the master clutch with both types, BTW. It's easier to shift the differential style since you're not meshing gears and it never gets hung up on the teeth. If you don't use the master clutch *and* come to a complete stop, the clutch packs in the reverser will get bent all to scrap and the thing won't work at all anymore.

I didn't realize that Deere made so few of the 420's with the differential style reverser. I'm rather used to that one, since that's what's on my dad's old 420 dozer, and it's always been around. I always figured they made lots of 'em that way, since the 440 used the same thing and I've seen lots of reverser-equipped 440s over the years. Most of the 420s I've seen had no reverser at all on them, so that's how I got confused.

I guess I have somewhat of a rarity, then. Not that it matters, since I'll never sell it. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:19 pm

The clutch type 420's did not start until 131,309, and the last 420C built is in the 135,000 range, so in the area of 4,000 serial numbers, which includes all models of 420. With a little over 2000 total crawlers built after 125,000, you could figure maybe 40% could have been clutch type units, and what percentage of them actually came with the reverser. No way to come up with an accurate figure, but not a lot of crawlers either way.
Lavoy

jdjoe_indiana
420 crawler
420 crawler

Brake bands

Post by jdjoe_indiana » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:08 pm

Do any of you have pics :?: :?: of the location of the brake bands and or access points? You have me nervous Lavoy, I don't want to drive 800 miles come home empty handed!! If you have pics that would be helpful so I know where to start when I get there. I will load up my torch for sure now!! Shoot, I will have a ton literally of crap for "just in case" senarios I can think of. Lavoy, did you try putting down plank and pipe when your tried to load that crawler? Did that work, or do you think I would be unable to jack the crawler up to get under it for the plank and pipe? Thanks Joe
44 JD B
51 JD MT
52 JD MT
58 JD 730 D RC
39 JD H
86 JD 420 GT
65 JD 110 RF
2002 Dodge Cummins

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:20 pm

The one I was loading was on street pads, and I had steel ramps at that time. Street pads on steel ramps is the closest thing you will ever see to a pig on ice, so I did not bring anything else with. Blew the winch cable 4 times, finally had to go to town and get a new cable, that one finally held, and with a snatch block and a loader pushing, we got it on.
If you have the torch and a selection of hand tools, you will most likely be able to do it. There is a 4 bolt cover that is on the top of the track clutch housing, you will see the brake linkage in there.
The worst case scenario is that the tracks are frozen up from rust, then there is no hope with the tracks on unless you can skid it on planks. If you had to, you could knock the tracks off, and put 2 X 6's under the rollers, and it will roll like a train on a track, nothing to it.
I have found if you take most of the shop with you, you will end up not needing any of it.
Lavoy

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:02 pm

I am excited for you. I would love to have one of the Henry backhoes. I think you did fine on the price assuming the UC is usable. To me, just the uniqueness of the Henry equipment would make it worth a little more.

Loading could be a challenge but certainly doable. As Lavoy said, take 3/4 of the shop with you and you won't need any of it. That's my experience too. I have loaded them locked up but take some 2x8's or be prepared to remove the tracks. I've done both. On flat ground they will move pretty easy on 2 boards, some oil (used is fine) between the boards will also help. Several short peices of pipe between the boards will make it roll really good. I drilled two holes in the ends of two of the boards and put in 3" carage bolts, nuts up. I put the end with the bolts at the front or toward the trailer. This seemed to help keep the top board under the tracks as the nut caught on the grouser as I pulled. The hardest part wil be dragging up on the trailer. That's up hill all the way. :-)

If the seller is going to load the detached backhoe with a loader, that will help a lot with the loading of the crawler by pushing and lifting. If a big enough loader could be borrowed, you can just pick it up and sit it on the trailer. Even with just a Bobcat/Skidsteer, if you can pick up the front of the crawler and then back under it and then pick the back up and push it on, also would work. I've done that as well and it beats trying to pull it up onto the trailer.

BE CAREFUL! We want to see pictures of it when it's done.

Larry
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

rodney420c
MC crawler
MC crawler

Same loader that I have.

Post by rodney420c » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:55 pm

I have the same loader except mine has been modified unfortunately.
Is it a
Hendry loader
or a
Greenville/ATECO?

Rodney

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:56 pm

Rodney420C,

I do believe that is a Henry loader but that bell crank has really been lengthen on yours.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

sbarr
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by sbarr » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:18 pm

I am in the middle of restoring a 420 with the same loader.I have the crawler finished ,engine rebuilt,all sand blasted and painted ,it sat abanded for as long as I can remember (20yrs +) until I found the owner.He bought it and never really used it.The whole machine had been rebuilt before he got it,undercarriage,loader ,engine etc.I got it for parts for our other 420 but then my dad decided it was to good for parts and started the restoring.That was about 6 yrs ago,he passed away before we got it done 3 yrs ago.I am just now getting back to it.Just the loader and grill and a few little things are left.The loader uprights or mount will be painted tomorrow and will be set back on sat. I hope,then on to blasting the loader arms and cylinders. I can't wait to be able to use it althought it will be hard to get it in the mud after all this work,oh well what is the use of looking at it and not using it.As far as I can tell this was always yellow since it was built.If it wasn't it sure is yellow now (JD industrial yellow)
58 420c w 61 blade and 3pth and pto,57 420c w loader,48 D,48 M,Allis D-15 and a Super Duty to haul these!!!!