I need advice on JD 450C Frame Problem!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Leland
MC crawler
MC crawler

I need advice on JD 450C Frame Problem!

Post by Leland » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:38 pm

I need Help on JD 450C Frame Problem!

When I finally got to go look at the JD 450C all looked good except the Main frame rails on both sided.

Both sided have been welded at the rear main attach point.

The right side has some bolts missing and the frame has started to crack again from the top.

Is this a common problem with the JD 450C?
What needs to be done to fix this problem?
How much do you think the man should be willing to lower
the price to allow for repair cost in parts? ( Labor my own would be free )
Leland

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:38 pm

Don't be too alarmed but if you don't own it get a better deal on the 450c for shure .That machine has been twisted to the point that the bell housing bolts poped out .Dont panic but this looks a hell of a lot worse than it is .First you will need to look for the spacer washers and bolts.Spacers are roughly 1 1/4''OD by 3/8'' thick and if what is left of the bolt is still there then the washer should be on it .Get a parts book if the spacers are missing and it has been so long since I did one I have forgoten what thread size it is .The big trick is to get the old threads out of the holes .You may need to jack up the grill just slightly to get a straight line of sight and bolts in right .The right side is the worst for this happening .Use lots of locktite if you got it! I bet you throw a wrench in the guys day that is trying to sell it to you when you pointed it out though .When reality first hits you it shure looks worse than it is .The welds can be redone afterwords I recomend getting a pro welder to do the job .I have got a couple of dozers cheaper that way and both were fine afterit just takes a bit of work fixing .Watch the bolts after they may try to loosen just keep them tight .The 450s-450Bs and 450Cs were bad for that .Just come off a 3 foot cliff onto one track at the wrong speed and you to can experiance it . Good Luck .Digitup .

Leland
MC crawler
MC crawler

450 Frame Problem

Post by Leland » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Digitup,

Thanks for the info. He would not come down but ot 16,500 which I felt was too much.

I have found a JD 450B with good frame for 9,000 that has a steering clutch or brake problem. I going to test run it this weekend.

Thanks,
Leland