450c winch questions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
dozer8k
MC crawler
MC crawler

450c winch questions

Post by dozer8k » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:29 am

i have a 450c with a 6415 blade i am fixing up to take to our camp in upstate n.y. after 3 years of looking i finaly located a 3325 winch for it. the guy i bought it from said it it had a fairleed--but when it showed up it was a log arch ,i dont realy want to use it--seams that it will be in the way ,i wanted the winch for getting unstuck mostly--i have been looking and calling everywhere but cant find a reg fairleed, i did find 1 in tennesee but it looked homemade and the cost of shipping did not make sense. i would like to know what size cable (i think 5/8 ) and there are so many diff types of cable??--- well, back to building my sweeps ,got 1 done now have to start the exaust side--cool site been reading it for a while-- just regestered THANKS ...
cat d25u,410c,450c,mackrm allwheeldrive

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:19 pm

I'll bet that someone will be willing to swap you fairleads for your arch. I ran an arch on my bunching bunching crawler and liked that it lifted the logs out of the mud and over some obstacles, yet when it seemed appropriate, we could fish the cable down so it pulled off the winch directly. If I had the choice I'd get an arch.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:20 pm

I guess I should have asked what kind of arch - a winch/crawler mounted one, or a tag along?
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

dozer8k
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dozer8k » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:17 pm

its a dozer frame mount,jdmodel 3600 the one i would like to put on is jd model t11052 but you made a good point of the use of the arch in the mud-- thanks

jdemaris

Re: 450c winch questions

Post by jdemaris » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:12 am

dozer8k wrote:i have a 450c with a 6415 blade i am fixing up to take to our camp in upstate n.y. after 3 years of looking i finaly located a 3325 winch for it. the guy i bought it from said it it had a fairleed--but when it showed up it was a log arch ,i dont realy want to use it--seams that it will be in the way ,i wanted the winch for getting unstuck mostly--i have been looking and calling everywhere but cant find a reg fairleed, i did find 1 in tennesee but it looked homemade and the cost of shipping did not make sense. i would like to know what size cable (i think 5/8 ) and there are so many diff types of cable??--- well, back to building my sweeps ,got 1 done now have to start the exaust side--cool site been reading it for a while-- just regestered THANKS ...
I know a guy in Schoharie County NY that's been searching for a log-arch for years - for his 350 with the 3325 winch. But, I think the arch for the 450 is different. Do you have a model # for it?

dozer8k
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dozer8k » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:49 pm

i tkink the 3600 arch fits the 350 alsu.my winch and logloadercame ofaof a 555

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:47 pm

I have several fairleads up here and can't find log arches in this neck of the woods for years .I had one on my last 550B that had a combo arch and fairlead .Shiping would be a killer to and from South western Ontario What $ would you want for the arch .I may be able to get a truck ride for cheap but it may be slow boat .Digitup.

dozer8k
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dozer8k » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:15 pm

to digitup thank you for your interest on the log arch. i would know more if i new about what i will have to pay for the fairleed (j.d.t11052) i have a question -- i just tried to move my 450c out of my shop and the right steering clutch is hard as a rock in 5 inches,brake pedel only goes down about 1 inch (when you try to move it ,it turns right as soon as you put it in gear) this is so weard because i pushed dirt for 3 hrs 4days ago and it steered perfict --- could someone that sat on it pulled back on the lever hard done this to it??thank you p.s. i may be going to rochester n.y. would this help on the log arch?

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:00 am

Watch that someone has maby given it a good reefe on the leaver and either pulled something out of wack ,bent a rod or broken a linkage .Digitup.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:09 am

I have two dozers working in Niagra Falls this fall . Those two opperators have been over to that area on rainy days [20 miles away ].I could have one left on the job site or if you know when you could be there .I could take it down and meet you .As far as price heck I would give you one of them if you need it .Digitup

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 am

dozer8k wrote: i just tried to move my 450c out of my shop and the right steering clutch is hard as a rock in 5 inches,brake pedel only goes down about 1 inch (when you try to move it ,it turns right as soon as you put it in gear)
Hold down the brake pedal hard and then try to move the steering clutch lever back and forth. If it feels frozen and sort of stuck to the foot brake pedal - well - then it is. Very common with dry-clutch 350s and 450s. The cross-shaft gets frozen inside the cast yoke. They are supposed to be independent of each other - but often freeze together with rust. It sits right on top under the access cover. Work on it with a torch and some penetrating oil. With some really bad ones, a quick fix we often did on service calls was to notch a groove into it with a torch - down to the shaft and pour some oil into it. That groove allows you to lubricate it once in awhile.

On the subject of arches and fairleads - we sold many new and used to stock a lot of them. At our dealership, probably 1/3 our customers were loggers. At one time, 350s were the most popular crawler for "bunching" logs and getting them to the skidway for a skidder to take over. As years went on, with so many 350s falling apart, the 450s became more popular - even with the extra cost. They held up much better. All our arches came with fairlead rollers and we sold many. Where they all went since then, I don't have a clue.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:55 pm

I had fairlead arches on a 350b and on a 450c, and preferred the 450c for several reasons. the 450 was a beefier tractor and held up to the strain better, and could move more wood per hitch comfortably. The 350 needed to be shifted into neutral to winch where the 450 had a "half clutch" position where you could run the winch without going to neutral. This helped with cable alignment and a clean wind-in which extended the cable life considerably and reduced broken strands that like to push through your gloves and attack your hands when pulling cable. You could turn the tractor back and forth a bit easily so that the cable would spool onto the winch evenly like a fishing reel. The arch on both machines kept the sliders and grab hook out of the way so you didn't back over them and the cable. We welded a box on our arch to hold the chokers which we preferred to hooks which often got bent or broken. Just some thoughts. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:46 am

I got a little deere wench for the 350 D wide track and found it ballances it perfictly .but as you mentioned the drive for the 350s is not as nice as the drive in the 450s and 550s .We do a lot of drainage and work in peat bog and the little 350D is exelent in that stiff the wench has pulled it out several times .Any one here know where to get the article where the 450C winched its self into a big old tree .Our John Deere industrial dealer had that photo hanging on the wall for years .I couldn't help but think that was hard on an engine with the oil all down front . And two guys standing beside it like it was the fish catch of a life time !!Digitup