555b Lost a track

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rmo5095
MC crawler
MC crawler

555b Lost a track

Post by rmo5095 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 am

Hello to all , I am glad I found this forum. Track spun off of my 555 and have been looking for info on the best way to get it back on. The manual tells me I need a 50 ton press to remove the link. Is this true? Its stuck in a difficult spot so it makes matters even worse. I have been told I can loosen bolt next to grease fitting and relieve tension on adjuster to get it back on. I did that but tension is still there. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I believe it to be 1986-1989.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi: Does it have a backhoe or winch on it? ROPS?
The goal is to try and get troublesome side up in the air so that you can spin that track without moving the machine, and gain slack. Sometimes you can build cribbing and use the bucket or blade to lift the front; use the backhoe to lift the rear, or if you have a ROPS and winch, maybe you can go around a tree and hook to the ROPS and get some leverage for lift that way. Once there is a clearer picture of your problem, you may be able to walk the track back on using a long prybar/crowbar and another person holding a steering lever and slowly rotating the track forward or back - whichever makes sense. I'd take all the grease out of your adjuster to gain as much slack as possible too. Be careful sometimes the track snaps back on and the prybar wants to take you for a ride. Good luck. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

rmo5095
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rmo5095 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:19 am

Thanks, it has ROPS no winch , no hoe, I am slowly getting it on rear sprocket with come-along and pry bars. I have got carriage free so track will clear ground. I hope to work it on the rest of the way tonight.