JD 450 in Sweden

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:02 pm

D557017 wrote: jdemaris, here is the picture i promised you.

Ulf from Sunne in Sweden
What the heck is that pump? I've never seen one like it, but I don't get off this continent very much (actually, never).

Looks like a cross between a USA AMBAC and a French RotoDiesel.

Any name on it anywhere?

D557017
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D557017 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:35 am

Hello, looking in my sparepartsbook, the pump is a Robert Bosch.
Could it be that JD only put these pumps on machines made for export?

Ulf
Ulf the Swede

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:28 am

D557017 wrote:Hello, looking in my sparepartsbook, the pump is a Robert Bosch.
Could it be that JD only put these pumps on machines made for export?

Ulf
Yes. There were only two original rotary injection pumps. American Bosch and Roosamaster/Stanadyne. Both in the USA. Then both made various agreements overseas. Roosamaster made a deal to allow CAV, Robert Bosch/Lucas, German Bosch, Diesel Kiki, et. al. to copy the design with the agreement that no Roosamaster pumps would be used anywhere but the USA and Canada - and no overseas pumps used in the USA. That was a long time ago, so I'm sure some of this has been ammended or expired.

Ironically, American Bosch (AMBAC) is the reason why Robert Bosch exits. During WWII, AMBACs holdings got siezed and they got severed from overseas stuff. They then became totally separate companies.

There is one rotary pump that I'm sure of, in regard to history. That's the French Rotodiesel. I have no idea how it got started.

D557017
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D557017 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:06 am

Hello, i have started to work on the backhoe a little bit.
I enlarged the holes and made new bolts where the backhoe is attatched to the crawler, also worked a bit in the lower hookshaped mounts, so now it has a good thight fit.
Made a new bolt for the left side stabilizer, the old one had been replaced by something with too small diameter.
I am planning to work my way backwards so the swing cylinder will be next.
I guess i will be needing some new seals and stuff for that, but i have a small problem, i dont know exactly what my backhoe is called, 93, 95, 95A
or something else?
I can not find any tags or serialnumbers on it so i was hoping that someone could tell me how to identify what type it is.
Ulf the Swede

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi. If you post a few pix of the backhoe, we'll probably be able to tell you what model it is.
The model 95 and 95A have a very large cross mount that allows the hoe to be moved back and forth relative to the centerline of the crawler. The 93 and 93A are centerline mount only.
These backhoes all are very similar in operation and share a number of parts.
Recently, I replaced a few parts on my 93A, and found it was more an issue of serial number than model in gettng the right parts. I ended up ordering several seal numbers to be sure I got the right one because my serial number plate is missing also.
On the swing cylinder, not all of the parts are currently available so get your parts before you pull that huge cylinder out of the hoe. The vane seals and large o-rings top and bottom are still available when I checked a few weeks back.
On the backhoe valve bodies, some of the spools are available if you need them and some are not.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

dirtguy34
420 crawler
420 crawler

purchase shop manual

Post by dirtguy34 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:18 pm

https://www.deerelydeparted.com/ Try this web site I bought a 350 shop manual for $70. US. Had it in 3 days, UPS

D557017
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D557017 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:55 am

Dirtguy34: i sent them some questions about a operators manual, thanks for the tip.

KenP: My backhoe can be moved sideways so it must be a 95 then.

But what separates 95 from 95A?

(a friend has borrowed my camera so no pictures right now unfortunatley)
Ulf the Swede

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:31 pm

The 95A backhoe came out in the late 1960's, so its likely that is the one you have.
The base model (95) and 95A look similar from a distance. Biggest thing I've noticed is how the cover goes on over the valve assembly. On the base 93 and 95, the cover wraps around the tower, while on the A models, it fits neatly between the side rails of the tower.
When you look at the part numbers, it seems there was an overlap period where the same valve bodies/parts were used in the base models and the early A models. Later, it appears they changed the valving several times resulting in different part numbers depending on serial number.
Here's the brochure on the 95A so you can compare it to yours.
http://www.murphyused.com/images/specs/355.pdf

D557017
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D557017 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:47 pm

I don`t have such a cover on my backhoe :cry: maybe there used to be one sometime in the past.
Ulf the Swede

D557017
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D557017 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Hello, now i have taken the excatator arm off and also the swing cylinder

I spent about 3 hours getting this lower "hub" off, lots of acetylene, sledges, chisels and bad words did the trick.

Can anyone tell from these pictures if it`s a 95 or 95A ?
Ulf the Swede

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:15 am

Its a 95. The swing cylinder mount is different for an "A" series.

D557017
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D557017 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:31 am

Thank you KenP!

This forum has been a great help for me and old Berta, lots of knowledge and helpful people.

Yesterday i cleaned the swing cylinder and took it apart, found some broken bolts, a bad seal and some wear, especially where the backhoe excavator arm mount attatches to the swing cylinder, if that explination makes any sense.

Next week i will make a list of needed parts and give the local JD place a call again, the worn mount might need some machineing (time to call in a favour from a friend that owes me one)

Hope you like hearing about this long fix up, it will propably be a while yet before Berta is back in the shape of her youth :wink:
Ulf the Swede

D557017
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D557017 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:02 am

So, what has that Swede been up to this summer?
Well, the swing cylinder is rebuildt, and the worn hole in the mount is fixed, so are a lot of other holes and bushings, the problem is that i can´t just replace bushings, because the holes they sit in have become to large and oval.
So first the holes have to be machined and larger bushings fitted, and larger tappets to go in the new bushings.
Here are some examples:
Image Magnetic drill with a homemade tool that has a "cut" from a metal lathe on it, got the holes back to roundness.
ImageHad a friend machine this hole to roundness for me.
Image First i put this piece in the lathe to make the part that goes in the hole round again, then i made a ring that i crimped on it, and finally i put it in the lathe again to make it perfectly round and make it fit in the new hole.

I have now worked my way to the end of the boom, currently waiting for new bucketcylinder seals, next will be the point where the stick attatches to the boom.

I plan to get a quickmount for the backhoe bucket, may be a S45 or B12,
don´t know if you use quickmounts?
If you do i guess they are called something entirely different then S45 and B12 ?

Ulf Jansson
Ulf the Swede

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:52 pm

Looks like you're doing an outstanding job on your hoe.... should last you a lifetime when you get it finished.
I'm not sure what a "quickmount" is for the bucket attachment... others here may know.

D557017
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by D557017 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:47 am

Maybe it´s not called quickmount in english?
Anyway, here is a modern machine with a hydraulic quickmount and rototilt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcuB4SE ... re=related

I would be more than satisfied with just a mechanical quickmount for Berta :D
Ulf the Swede