JD 450 has no power on left track

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
nathan619
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by nathan619 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:58 pm

Today I adjusted the steering clutch and brake and I still have no power to the left track.

While I had the covers off the top, I was pulling the brakes/steering handles and I could see the clutches moving out on both sides. They seems to look the same.

What should I look for next?

I've got the track apart, fuel tank off, left side battery box almost off, rear drive sprocket off. I'm planning on visually looking at the steering clutch and hopefully see something obvious. Any suggestions on what someone who knows little should look for?

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:51 am

Make sure the clutch pack is in good working condition also check all shafts and bearings inside the clutch housing .You will have to take it out to inspect it .I had a root rake like that for my 450B and sold it with the crawler .I often wish I kept it but it was hard on the drive clutches .I felt there was lots of forward weight and added traction so the steering clutches suffered immensely .Digitup.

nathan619
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by nathan619 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 am

I've almost got the clutch out finally. I'm to the point of removing the jam nut and set screw for the throw out shaft but I'm having to let those screws set with some "break free" rust looser stuff on them. Then I'll be lifting the clutch out. This is definitely a learning experience.

If I see something wrong with the clutch (bearing, plates, etc), where do I get parts for it? Should I go through the local John Deere dealership or order from somewhere on line? I'm not in a real big hurry. I already need to order a brake band return spring since I broke one end off getting it unhooked and may be a master pin to put the track back together.

Thanks for everyones help so far.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:55 am

Contact Lavoy and get his price on the parts needed .To find the wear on clutch plate surfaces take a vernier caliper and measure there thickness also check all steels and friction surfaces for warping on a straight edge.check the engagement notches on the inside of the surfaces for a good clean fit as well as the through shaft they run on .When you get that side done you will want to do the other side . Digitup .

tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by tomcat4144 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am

it happened to me, the hydraulic line for the steering clutch blew. while your in there check it out.

nathan619
420 crawler
420 crawler

Clutch pictures

Post by nathan619 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Can yall look at the attached steering clutch plate to see if I need to change them?

The ones on the outside look like this one in the picture with the groves but the ones closer towards the middle look good. Should I still replaced them?

The problem with my "no power on left track" is due to the hub on the steering clutch is rounded out. The groves that the shaft goes in are warn out.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/picture. ... ureid=5153

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/picture. ... ureid=5152

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/picture. ... ureid=5151

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 pm

I always kept an old work boot lace on a 9/16 combination wrench just to use on this job .Make the string just long enough to be comfortable to work with .There is lots of room on the bottom if one falls in don't worry.You don't need to get it out .It's just doing without the wrench till you get the clutch pack out of there .But at this age you may find a few wrenches lurking around the bottom when you get that deep.Digitup.