350 oil leak part 2

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:37 am

On the later machines, the countershaft bearings, and the output shaft bearings were up-sized. The bearing between the input spider and the output shaft was also changed. The input spider to front cover bearing stayed the same through the series. I wouldn't worry about upgrading the bearings, you would need new shafts, quills and a front cover.

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:11 pm

CatD8RII wrote:On the later machines, the countershaft bearings, and the output shaft bearings were up-sized. The bearing between the input spider and the output shaft was also changed. The input spider to front cover bearing stayed the same through the series. I wouldn't worry about upgrading the bearings, you would need new shafts, quills and a front cover.
The small center-bearing was the weak-link on the older reversers. Especially if used hard in hydraulic-reverse. The bearing would sometimes seize and melt under extreme use. When that happens the bearing is often welded to the front shaft and drum assembly and has to be replaced anyway. The upgrade can't be done on the early reversers that use flat spring-loaded damper disks on the flywheel.

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:01 am

I am new to operating a 350 straight. Are you saying when working machine hard while backing up i.e. dragging big trees that one should not use reverser but instead actually engege tranny in reverse?

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:32 am

When possible, avoid using reverse (especially in the higher gears). If you use it, go slow. Reverse travel tends to wear out the undercarriage allot faster than forward travel. Just look how the track gets tight whenever you go in reverse, versus when you go forward. This is because the chain is being pulled back across the idler, instead of being "fed" forward.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:06 am

scremineagle wrote:I am new to operating a 350 straight. Are you saying when working machine hard while backing up i.e. dragging big trees that one should not use reverser but instead actually engege tranny in reverse?
Just use with care. Gear reverse is stronger. If you constantly load it to the max while pulling in hydraulic reverse your reverser is likely meet a premature demise. That was true when new, and more true 40 or so years later.

The hydraulic-clutched reverser has a two shafts running throught it. Big bearings on both ends but a small one in the middle - where the two shafts meet. In forward, there is no movement in that bearing. The two shafts are locked together. In reverse, the shafts turn counter to each other and a big load is on that little bearing. I've seen some come apart and get so hot they almost got welded to the shaft. Deere upgraded it with a bigger bearing in the B series.