working in the snow

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bigkahuna705
MC crawler
MC crawler

working in the snow

Post by bigkahuna705 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am

I am new to this bulldozer thing I have purchased a 1981 450c and have used it in the fall before the snow came. My question is when I used it the first time in the snow I was getting some spring compressing and a bang, is this caused by the snow packing up on the sprockets......should I loosen the track tension?

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 am

This will be a very helpful thread for you:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... w+sprocket
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Unless you have snowshoes on it, you will probably always fight it, more so on warmer days and/or wetter snow. Eveny once in a while while you are pushing, get it on flat ground, no or little snow, and run it back and forth in high, that will tend to shake some of the snow out.
Lavoy

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: working in the snow

Post by Al Swearengen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 am

bigkahuna705 wrote:I am new to this bulldozer thing I have purchased a 1981 450c and have used it in the fall before the snow came. My question is when I used it the first time in the snow I was getting some spring compressing and a bang, is this caused by the snow packing up on the sprockets......should I loosen the track tension?
Don't you just love that sound??? BANG! I made some 'snow skirts' for my 450...haven't had a chance to try them though...very dry year!

I have no idea if it will help, but when I tried to noodle it out, I suspected the bulk of the snow falling into the bottom of the tracks was from it falling in when turning...the skirts may help prevent this somewhat.

dirtguy34
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dirtguy34 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:38 am

Aloah Big Kahuna : Ist off you should be pushing sand in Hawaii rather than snow in Canada, Holes in the center of the pads are the answer to your problem. In the early 80's when the 850 Case 6ways came out they had no holes in the pads ( where the sprockets meet) , and we were constantly breaking the bolts holding the pads on. Then case went to a (want to say) 5/8" dia hole which wasn't much better. When they went to the big opening that solved the problem. You will find out you will have the same problem in certain clays. Dave

bigkahuna705
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bigkahuna705 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks guys for the replies, I think I might have the holes you guys are talking about......there is egg shaped holes between the 4 bolts holding on the pads....will try to loosen the tension on the tracks, at this time I have about 1 inch sag