oil leak part 3

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

oil leak part 3

Post by scremineagle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Pulled engine very little push pull on input shaft. Part on flywheel that recieves shaft with 5 springs holding it on is bad. What is this called and would you have a part number.[/img]

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:16 pm

The part you're referring to is called an isolator. There are allot of threads on here about the 350's isolators. The earlier machines used an external spring type (which is what you have). They were replaced by a newer style that requires a different flywheel. I don't think the newer style is still available from Deere. On the older style there isn't just one part number to replace, if you replace the disc itself, replace the springs, anchors and bolts too. Also use red loctite generously on the anchor bolts. I'm guessing you don't have a parts book yet, might be a good idea to invest in some manuals. Also, you can go to JDParts.com to view parts catalogs for free right from Deere.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:43 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Fri May 31, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 am

Yes ken all that is bad are reciever splines. Two questions . Would there be a chance of finding just the splined part? One would think if owners have changed over to newer style that maybe some old ones would be out there. Second question. Has anyone heard of rebuilding just that center. If I can find specs on input shaft I was thinking machine shop could cut out old center & weld in new. Wish I new how to post pics. Would show you bad part I can't believe the machine even moved. I got lucky to get it from woods to shop. now must get lucky again

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:42 am

scremineagle wrote:Yes ken all that is bad are reciever splines. Two questions . Would there be a chance of finding just the splined part?
That hub could be bored out in the center where the worn splines are. Then you can press in a new splined coupler and weld in place. I've done a few over the years. Not something we bothered with when parts were more redily available. It's a standard spline configuration used on many clutch disks -but I don't recall the spline-count or OD. Early 350s used a single spring-loaded disk bolted to the flywheel. Your setup is the 2nd version - what Deere called the "torsional isolator" assembly. When the D series came out and 3rd version was used. One piece again but totally different that the early 1st one-piece version.

At the Deere dealership, we threw out many of those drive-hubs with perfect splines. I wish now I'd saved them. That drive-hub is also supposed to have a lining glued to it - made from the same material brake shoes are made from. About 1/4" thick. When that lining tore or wore off - we used to replace the entire hub.

Check the input shaft for play with a dial indicator. Jiggling it by hand won't tell you much. It needs to be .002" to .004" and it takes some care to get an accurate reading when the reverser is still in the machine.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:41 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Fri May 31, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:41 am

After more research into this problem the guys who have upgraded seem to be very happy. My issue is the high cost. Bought my 350 for help in cutting about 8 cord of wood a year. Now obviosly when operating this 350 I'm sure I will find it will be great for some other things as well, but will never see super hard work or many hrs. So may try save a few dollars and try rebuild hub. Questions are how important is the fiber on back of hub? And is there a huge balance issue with hub. But yes I agree must have been many hubs tossed in scrap that could now be usefull. Hey thanks for link Ken. Do you have any idea what size spline coupler I will need.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Fri May 31, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:20 pm

scremineagle wrote:After more research into this problem the guys who have upgraded seem to be very happy. My issue is the high cost.
Problem is - parts cost a fortune and are not easy to find. The isolator setup like you have can last a long time IF done right. Granted that when 350s were current - failed isolators were our #1 problem. As far as I observed, it was not a part-failure problem. It's more from improper assembly. The spring-hook guards that bolt to the outer diameter of the flywheel can "walk" around, rub, and then cause everything to lock-up - including the engine. I still wonder why Deere did not put some sort of recesses in the flywheel to keep those things where they belonged. Assemble with care and use a lot of Loctite and it will probably outlast you.

Oddly, the earlier 1st design was fairly trouble free. That was with a one-piece spring-loaded disk. Used in 1010s and early 350s.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Go check your personal messages! :D I think I can help you out on your plate!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.