350BE Reverser help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
russ89us
MC crawler
MC crawler

350BE Reverser help

Post by russ89us » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Ive got a 350BE, not sure the year model, but dozer has a reverser. We bought it with engine out and was told the cluthes in reverser were shot. Pulled the reverser and rebuilt entire reverser with new cluthes and pistons, the whole nine yards! We put dozer back together and it moves but we noticed it wouldnt turn. You can pull left brake and dozer attempts to turn left but then the dozer stops and doesnt move until you release the brake, both ways are the same. We then attmpted to load it up on trailor but it wont pull itself up ramps on trailor so this tells me the cluthes in reverser are slipping. Found out how to check pressure on reverser valve body. We've got 150 to 160 psi in forward and reverse after shimming relief valve in valve body but it still does the same thing. So basically we've got good pressure but the dozer will just barely pull itself much less do actual work. Can anyone lead me in any direction? Thanks.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:18 pm

could be steering clutches kinda odd that both would start slipping at the exact same time but not impossible pull the inspection covers and with it in gear and the dozer against something that wont move see if the center hubs are turning and if so you need to work on the steering clutches ...PS how did the reverser clutches look?
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi Russ-

First of all, based on what you have posted your machine is a 350B- the "E" is a secondary designator for the frame type or something similar. As such, your 350B machine would have "dry" (mechanical) steering clutch/brake systems whereas the 350C and later models have "wet" (hydraulic) steering/clutch brake assemblies. If not confusing enough, some of the "Bs" came with hydraulic power steering assist.

The reason this is important is that it sounds like the track is not moving when the the brake is engaged because the steering clutch/brake systems could be way out of adjustment. When properly adjusted, a partial pull of the steering lever will disengaged the clutch on that side of the steering and a harder pull will activate the brake. When not properly adjusted, the steering clutches could be slipping thus giving you the symptoms you describe when put under load and the braking issues.

I'm not going to discount that you don't also have a reverser issue since I am really not familiar with them, but it seems like the steering clutch/brakes are suspect.Hopefully you didn't "fill" the steering clutch housing with fluid thinking it was a "wet" system. :oops:

There are a number of threads on this board describing how to confirm whether you have mechnical steering clutch/brake systems and how to check and adjust them. Let's see what others think before we discount the reverser though.

EDIT: Seems JTrichard and I are thinking alike tonight :wink:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

russ89us
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by russ89us » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm

the clutches that i removed from the reverser didnt look that good. the discs were black looking from what looked like theyd been hot before at one point. like i said we bought it and are going by what somebody else told us was wrong with it so i think we are realizing that it had another issue all along. :?

russ89us
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by russ89us » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:47 pm

but in response to the steering clutches, i havent even looked at them yet, much less added any fluid to them or anything like that. the people we bought it from that were telling us it was the reverser said that the steering clutches were perfect but its looking more like they arent too sure about anything with it. :shock: oh and the whole reason the dozer is tore up is that they supposedly got it stuck in a swampy area.

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Just to add also you may want to checked the drain at the bottom of the steering clutches if you havent to see if theres any water or maybe oil in there from a leaking seal.
Michael

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 pm

I really don't think you have a reverser issue. If you are getting 150 to 160 psi then that is okay at this point.
I really think you have just answered your own question when you said they had this thing stuck in a swamp. That means water and silt in the clutch housings. You may have oil in there as well. I would really look at what has already been suggested and that is pull the drain plugs and see what comes out. I'm betting you have water or a combination of liquid issues. You need to remove the inspection covers as well. You may even be able to see if it has water in the housings.
If every thing looks dry then go for either adjustment or look for other issues causing this thing to slip. It doesn't take much liquid in these housings to cause these machine to slip.
Let us know what you find.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

russ89us
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by russ89us » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 am

ill check the steering clutches out tonite then. thanks.

russ89us
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by russ89us » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 pm

now ive got good power to the tracks. the dozer pulls good now, pushed a few dead trees down behind the shop this afternoon. but ive narrowed my problem to the left steering clutch/brake. the dozer turns perfect to the right in forward and reverse and the reverser is working great. but as soon as i pull the left brake the dozer jerks like its attempting to turn left but it just stops. ive also noticed when i push the brake pedal in the floorboard, the left brake arm moves back torwards me as if i was pulling it back. it acts like to me that something in relation to the steering clutch/brake is locked up on the left side. any ideas? thanks.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Okay... You have a clutch issue on the right side and probably a brake issue on the left. If it will turn to the right, your left side is pulling so your left clutch is at least mostly okay. When you turn to the left your right clutch is slipping which is why it won't turn to the left.
Your brake issue is probably linkage rusted in place and it will need to be freed up and then properly adjusted. There are other things that could cause your issue but for now lets check this first. Again... Look for moisture in those housings! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:17 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

russ89us
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by russ89us » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 am

well actually the night i was working on it in the shop and got the pressure up to 150psi on the reverser, it was late and i just noticed it wasnt turnig to the left so i didnt give it a good test run like i did yesterday afternoon. i took it out during the daylight and went out in the pasture behind the shop and thats when i figured out that its pulling good and turning great to the right but not the left. so ive gotten the reverser part out of the way i just have to tear into the steeing cluthes now... :? I dont have a manual on the machine but im figuring by what you guys are telling me that im going to need one right? if so can anyone tell me what manual i need, like a part number or anything? thanks..

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 pm

I don't know what JD or others might get for a manual but there is one on ebay for a 350b its a TM1032 looks like new BUT ouch its $200 .... and it is a MUST have to do the adjustments on the steering as was said by Ken DON'T wing it
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Here is what the John Deere Bookstore is offering.

Post by Scottyb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I cut and pasted the following from the John Deere Bookstore after entering 350b in the search window after selecting the construction category. I purchased the operators manual, the parts manual, and most important the service manual.( Parts manuals can be downloaded for free somewhere on the John Deere site) the manuals come mailed in print, on a CD or my preference as a download sent directly to my computer. I just copied the file to a flash drive and took it to a nearby office Depot and has it printed up and in a nice new yellow binder all in the same day. I put a copy on my desktop of my computer and if I mess up a page with grease I just print a fresh page and insert it back in.

the service manual bought printed and in a new binder under $100 all in the same day.
This is what I suggest you do.
Scottyb

The following is the copy of the order page from John Deere;

Account Cart (0) items Help Library Orders Services
Techinfo Home | Search Results
Today: Feb 29, 2012
Search Results Results 1-6 of 6

OMT33516 ( OPERATORS MANUALS ) English

CONSTRUCTION ( this manual only covers the bulldozer attachments)
ATTACHMENTS
BULLDOZER
Model Series Serial
6310 Bulldozer Attachment
350B B Series

Purchase:
Price (USD): $9.35
Format:
Download links will be located within your Library and active for only 72 hours.

OMT46859 ( OPERATORS MANUALS ) English

CONSTRUCTION (this one is for the tractor itself good to get)(
CRAWLERS
Model Series Serial
350B B SERIES

Purchase:
Price (USD): $16.02
Format:
Download links will be located within your Library and active for only 72 hours.

PC1169 ( PARTS CATALOGS ) English

CONSTRUCTION
CRAWLERS
Model Series Serial
350B B SERIES

Purchase:
Price (USD): $33.85
Format:

PC1209 ( PARTS CATALOGS ) English

CONSTRUCTION
ATTACHMENTS
LOADERS
Model Series Serial
350B B SERIES

Purchase:
Price (USD): $15.32
Format:

PC941 ( PARTS CATALOGS ) English

CONSTRUCTION
ATTACHMENTS
Model Series Serial
7702 Series
350B B SERIES

Purchase:
Price (USD): $9.35
Format:

TM1032 ( SERVICE MANUALS ) English

CONSTRUCTION (get this one!)
CRAWLERS
Model Series Serial
350B B SERIES

Purchase:
Price (USD): $35.12
Format:

You must be logged in to place an order.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

russ89us
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by russ89us » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:37 pm

i downloaded the service manual straight from john deeres website. the information has been a great help and the manual looks to be a big help as well. im going to tear into the right side clutches for sure this week and hopefully find the problem. thanks.