JD 350B Diesel Timing Mark Locations

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

JD 350B Diesel Timing Mark Locations

Post by D.Light » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Would someone please tell me the exact locations I need to check the timing marks on the 350B Diesel to make sure everything is in time?

If you have pics available, that would really help!

Thanks,
D.Light
1974 JD 350B Crawler Loader

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:13 pm

I dont know what timing marks you are wanting,[ fuel pump, cam-crank timing] but if you dont find what you need you can email me your number and I could look in the manual tomorrow and maybe find what you need :D Mike
Michael

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Thanks MikeinTN

Post by D.Light » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:11 pm

I am needing all timing marks and their location.

I think I know where to find the injector timing mark (on the side of the injector pump - under a small plate ??) and the flywheel mark (Use the special bolt - I think it is on the right side of the engine looking from the front to the back - below the exhaust manifold on the bell housing - near the operator station??)

However i don't know if there are any other timing marks accessible as far as cam timing.

Basically, I have the head off of the machine right now for re-surfacing and a valve job. Hopefully I will be installing it later this week. I would like to verify the entire timing system (valves - cam/crank/injector pump) if possible before re-installing the head.

If you have knowledge of the timing marks, please share.

Thanks,
D.Light

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 am

You really need a tech manual! I hope I can make sense with this and if I leave anything out I'm sure someone will jump in with the things I might omit.
So! You are correct in the locations for the flywheel timing and the Injector pump. The pin goes into the timing hole in the fly wheel. Your timing marks for the pump are behind the plate on the side of the pump. Unfortunately your cam marks and gear train are all under the front cover of the engine.
On some of these engines there will be a mark on the front crank shaft pulley that will correspond with a mark that is cast into the front cover. These are located from the side of the engine where your oil inlet spout is. Look down at the crankshaft pulley from that side of the engine. If your engine has this, there will be a little nick in the pulley and it should be lined up with a line that is cast into the timing cover.
This then should correspond with the pin in the flywheel. If it doesn't then you are 180degrees out and need to rotate the engine until these two marks are lined and the pin will fit in the flywheel. Check your number one piston to see if it is at the top of the stroke and both valves are closed.
This then should make your Injector pump marks line up in the little window on the pump.
Otherwise, if your engine doesn't have these extra timing marks, you need to pin the flywheel and have number one piston ( The front piston ) at the top of its stroke ( Top Dead Center ) and both valves closed. ( Compression Stoke ) Your Injector pump marks should be lined up. Fasten everything down and remove the timing pin and it should start and run.

I hope I didn't leave anything out :D and good luck!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

D.Light
430 crawler
430 crawler

Thanks LeonardL

Post by D.Light » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm

I appreciate the help. I do have the TM1032 (01JUN80). It seems some of the details are left out... Especially about the external timing marks on the crankshaft pulley. Maybe I overlooked it. :?:

I was hoping there was some way to check the cam timing without pulling the timing cover and all of the associated other stuff.

Thanks Again!
D.Light

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Those marks on the crank pulley are hard to see and not all engines have them. All Gas engines will have them. But not all of the diesel engines came with the timing marks on the crank pulley. But, if your pulley has the mark it will only be a small nick that can easily hide under a little bit of dirt or grease.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.