Replacing starter solenoid on a 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Replacing starter solenoid on a 450

Post by tjdub » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Can I replace the solenoid on the starter in my 450 without pulling the starter motor off the engine first?

When the engine is warm, I have to hit the starter button over and over again (just a clicking sound in the solenoid) before it eventually engages. When it's cold it starts fine.

I'm assuming that the starter motor is fine, I just need to replace the solenoid, but I'm not sure what's involved in removing just the solenoid off the starter motor. If I just take off the two bolts off that hold the solenoid to the starter does it just pop off? There's not a lot of room to work in there, but I think I have enough room to get the two bolts out.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Take the bolts off the solenoid it should have a slot that holds it in the starter so give it a slight turn .With the old starters if they did that we always loosened off the lower solenoid post and took the cable right off .Then gently give the post a push in and a half turn .Then pull it out and install the cable and it is good to go for several more years .Delco starter solenoids had a second life and that was the trick .The plunger slides forward and makes contact with the head on 1/2 of that brass bolt that the thread is holding the top cable on but it only touches half the head so turn it and the plunger will make contact again .I did that to a lot of starters in some ugly spots and I can't do it any more with the Nipon [crap ]starters they have now .Digitup.

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm

digitup2 wrote:With the old starters if they did that we always loosened off the lower solenoid post and took the cable right off .Then gently give the post a push in and a half turn .Then pull it out and install the cable and it is good to go for several more years .Delco starter solenoids had a second life and that was the trick .
Thanks digitup2, I'll definitely be giving that trick a try.

Edit: I spun the cable post in the solenoid today like you said, started it up and let the engine warm up and that seems to have done the trick! Thanks again.