technical support

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
TimberKing
MC crawler
MC crawler

technical support

Post by TimberKing » Tue May 01, 2012 5:13 pm

I would like to pick a few brains. Right now I have a older 350 crawler loader. I'm not able to do all I need to with the loader. I'm looking at a few JD 450 and 550B. All with winches.
I do some logging (for my self) in hilly terrain. I need some input. one of the 450's has really wide tracks as if there for snow or swamps. Would the wider track unit be any better for this type of terrain.
Also one of the units has the blade mounted on the outside of the frame. I will be using it for some trail work and would like to know the pro's and con's of the outside or a front mount blade. (other that the 6-way thing).Oh and foot steer, pro's and con's.
Are letters after say 450 B,C, is that just a newer year 450?
Thanks
Dwight

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: technical support

Post by tjdub » Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 am

TimberKing wrote:I would like to pick a few brains. Right now I have a older 350 crawler loader. I'm not able to do all I need to with the loader. I'm looking at a few JD 450 and 550B. All with winches.
I do some logging (for my self) in hilly terrain. I need some input. one of the 450's has really wide tracks as if there for snow or swamps. Would the wider track unit be any better for this type of terrain.
The wide pads help distribute the weight so by definition they're better on wet ground. The trouble is they might just give you enough confidence to bury the machine in a place where you can't get another machine in to pull it out :)
TimberKing wrote: Also one of the units has the blade mounted on the outside of the frame. I will be using it for some trail work and would like to know the pro's and con's of the outside or a front mount blade. (other that the 6-way thing).Oh and foot steer, pro's and con's.
The pro a straight blade are that it's better for pushing over trees. The con is that it's harder to work dirt without the ability to angle the blade. The resale value of a straight blade machine is much lower than a 6-way because it's just not as useful. With these small machines, a finish dozer is the most common use and that requires a 6-way blade.
TimberKing wrote: Are letters after say 450 B,C, is that just a newer year 450?
Yep, the letters after the number changed when they changed the design enough to warrant changing the model number. A 450 (with no letter) is mostly the same as a 450B except it doesn't have turbo. A straight 450 could even have a gas engine, but those are pretty rare. The 450C is similar to a 450B except it has wet steering clutches (much bigger change than the difference between 450 and 450B). There are other minor changes and part incompatibility over the years, but those are the major differences in the 450 series up until C. I'm not sure of the differences between the 550 and 550B, but these are much newer machines. I don't think the first 550 came out until towards the end of the 450C production. The 450D looks much more like the 550 series.
Last edited by tjdub on Wed May 02, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

andregrondin
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by andregrondin » Wed May 02, 2012 5:35 am

Hi !

Wide track pads are also a tad bit harder on the hardware when you steer the machine , but yes the ground pressure is less , it gives you a sens of floatability but like tjdub wrote when you sink it is for real !!

good luck with your machine it is so fun to work with those !!!
Dig in boy !!
J-D 350 straight 1966
model # = T4F3D
serial # = 08883T

J-D 690-B 1980
model # = D690B
serial # = 007364T

Mack RB688S 1990 dumper

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed May 02, 2012 6:48 am

IMHO, the wet steering clutches on 450c and later machines is a really big deal. I can not tell you the number of older 450 and 450b machines I looked at before I bought mine that had "clutches sticking". If they have set a few years it's a pretty big job to get them free and then you have to keep them free.

One other small detail some of the very early 450c were not turbo engines if that matters to you.

I thought the wide track machines were physically wider too. If you are logging in really tight spaces an extra 1' in width is something to think about(I don't know they are 1' wider that's a guess).
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed May 02, 2012 7:29 am

I've had a 350, 450B,and 450C all set up with forestry packages, 6way blades and integral arches. I preferred the 450C with its wet clutches. You'll also like the way the winch works compared to a 350; you can spool on the cable without constantly shifting to neutral to work the winch -partially depressing the clutch allows the winch to wind in and the machine to not move. This allows laying the cable on like a fishing reel more easily which minimizes tangles, broken strands (which poke through gloves), and lengthens cable life.
A 450 is a significantly more powerful machine than a 350 as well. I've used outside blade machines and some guys like them if they are building skid roads for skidders - they make a wider path quicker. In addition some feel that the blades are attached stronger so that if hooking in a blade's corner, there's more meat behind the blade and things don't break as easily - I prefer the 6-way blade and just worked smarter.
I like the nimbleness of a narrower machine, and if you are working in the winter, caulks on narrower pads dig into the frozen earth better; handy on steep or "sidling" skid roads. Just a few thoughts - hope they help. Paul
Last edited by Paul Buhler on Mon May 07, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

TimberKing
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by TimberKing » Mon May 07, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks for all the input.