Different 15W40 Types......In a 1984 Dozer.......

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Tue May 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Well, I need the dozer to be up and running so I made a decision this AM that I would purchase new fluids for the transmission, steering clutches and the final drives today. So, I went to the local John Deere dealer and per his recommendation bought John Deere Hy-Gard. I needed a total of 25.25 gallons which is 5-5 gallon pails and 1-1 gallon jug. The dozer has been draining since May 23 so I'm sure most of the drips are dropped. I have all the John Deere filters required and I've cleaned the trany filter screen. As long as there's no rain tomorrow, the filters and Hy-Gard go on and in. The engine oil and hydraulic fluid and filters were changed previous to me purchasing the dozer. I'll also grease all 10 million grease fittings, drain a small amount of diesel fuel to check for water, add some Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement ( white bottle ) per directions and change the diesel fuel filter. I think that I'm going to use all John Deere products in this dozer. Is there anything I missed? Thanks, Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Everything is now as it should be except one item. On the side of the steering clutch housing, the operators manual points to the fill plug, which is also the steering brake adjusting plug, ( same for both sides ) and says to add 7 gallons of fluid. When I put in the 7 gallons of Hy-Gard, the fluid level is about 2" below the bottom of the plug. Could take another 1 to 1.5 gallons to bring it up to the bottom of the fill opening. The local John Deere dealer says to fill it up until it seeps out the fill plug hole, let the overflow weep out then when no-more comes out, reinstall the fill plug. Who is correct......7 gallons or fill to bottom of opening? I test drove the dozer for about an hour and it operates as it should. Thanks, Frank

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Another thing, on the right side of the steering clutch housing there's another plug in a small trough almost horizontal which takes a 1/2" breaker bar to remove. It's to the left of the vertical fill plug which takes a 3/4" breaker bar to remove. Before I fluid filled it, I looked in the hole and seen nothing that needed access. What's that plug for? Thanks, Frank

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:11 am

Frankdozer wrote:Everything is now as it should be except one item. On the side of the steering clutch housing, the operators manual points to the fill plug, which is also the steering brake adjusting plug, ( same for both sides ) and says to add 7 gallons of fluid. When I put in the 7 gallons of Hy-Gard, the fluid level is about 2" below the bottom of the plug. Could take another 1 to 1.5 gallons to bring it up to the bottom of the fill opening. The local John Deere dealer says to fill it up until it seeps out the fill plug hole, let the overflow weep out then when no-more comes out, reinstall the fill plug. Who is correct......7 gallons or fill to bottom of opening? I test drove the dozer for about an hour and it operates as it should. Thanks, Frank
I think you will find the 7 gallons in the steering clutches are part of the transmission fluid. You just fill them separate to speed up the process of distributing the fluid. Once you put 7 gallons in each side and the correct amount in the transmission you should start / run the machine a bit and check the transmission, then adjust it to the right level.

As for your last question, all I can tell on you on my 450c the adjuster and fill plug are two different plugs. It's possible they used the same case but moved the adjusting point to the fill plug. Just guessing there.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:32 am

77 Ford Thanks for the info. Is there anyway you can post a picture of the steering clutch housing fill and adjusting ports....... I also have 2 ports. The steering clutch adjusting port is about 3 inches higher than the other port. Maybe I'm filling the wrong port...........They both open into the same cavity. For whatever reason I can't get pictures to post. I can PM you a picture of mine if that's OK....Thanks, Frank

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:24 pm

JDemaris,
Now you have to admit, about the only way you can get more polish than Alpina is to go a tad north to say Posin or Onaway. I don't expect any sales clerk to know squat. Then I'm not dissapointed. Buyer beware.
The NAPA in Gaylord is an old operation,In the 14 years going there I think there has been 1 new guy on the counter. If they don't know they say so. They are a little pricy and they shut the door at 2pm on Saturday which is usually about half an hour before I need something. Then I have to go to one of the 4 other parts stores in town that I am supprised that the employees can get the door unlocked in the morning.
What does the high Zink additive in oil do to the newer emissions systems? Wouldn't think that you would get enough past the rings to affect emissions unless the engine was worn.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:46 pm

CELSESSER wrote:JDemaris,
Now you have to admit, about the only way you can get more polish than Alpina is to go a tad north to say Posin or Onaway. I don't expect any sales clerk to know squat. Then I'm not dissapointed. Buyer beware.
I don't think Alpena is heavily Polish. Might of been at one time ,but it's pretty mixed now. A lot of older transplanted retirees from Detroit live there now (like my in-laws). Now Posen? Heck yes. That place is kind of unfriendly unless your name ends with "ki" or something else Polish. My wife and I went to their potato festival and felt a bit unwelcome.
I went to the Ford-New Holland tractor place in Alpena, the NAPA in Alpena, and the NAPA in Rogers City. None had anybody with a lot of knowledge. My property is in Hawks and the nearest auto store is in Rogers City. It is also probably the worst NAPA I've ever been too. There's another auto parts store just down the road in Rogers City that looks like it's out of the 1950s!. No cash resigster, no computers, etc. Many parts have dust on them and have been sitting for years. They sell auto parts and welding gas and propane. And odd place! I bought some stuff there and the old guy did all the pricing from paper books and then added it all with a pen on paper with no calculator. It was interesting but painful at the same time. I think it took him 20 minutes to figure out my bill.

I've never been to the store in Gaylord, at least not yet. If I ever go back to Posen, I need a name tag that puts my name something like "demarisowski."

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:04 am

Frankdozer wrote:77 Ford Thanks for the info. Is there anyway you can post a picture of the steering clutch housing fill and adjusting ports....... I also have 2 ports. The steering clutch adjusting port is about 3 inches higher than the other port. Maybe I'm filling the wrong port...........They both open into the same cavity. For whatever reason I can't get pictures to post. I can PM you a picture of mine if that's OK....Thanks, Frank
Lets see if I can get this to work...

JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:50 am

77 Ford..........That's the exact same port arrangement I have. The adjuster hole is 3/4" drive and the oil fill hole is 1/2" drive. I thought that was the use for each hole. The operators manual is extremely vague as to which is which. The manual calls for 7 gallons in each side. The oil fill accepted about 6 gallons. I then plugged it and poured another gallon in the adjuster hole. I'm 1 gallon over. Should I drain the overage out or just leave it? No big deal to correct, I'd siphon a couple of gallons out of the adjuster hole, remove the oil fill plug and just top it off. Thank You Very Much for the info..........Frank

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:44 am

I would just start the machine let it warm up and run it then check the transmission fluid. Like we've said before that fluid in the steering clutches is common with the transmission fluid.

I hope that makes sense, you would only pour fluid in the side as part of a service. For regular day to day checks you would just add it to the transmission as needed and it would work it's way out to the steering clutches.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:52 am

That totally makes sense now that you explained it and I understand it. I just earlier today checked the trany and it's about 1/4" to 3/8" above the high mark on the dipstick. I'm going to run it for awhile and check it again. If it's still above, I'll just draw some out of the trany fill and check it again. Thanks Again 77 Ford !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frank