H-L-R question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

H-L-R question

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm

The recent topic on the 450c HLR has got me thinking a bit. My question is do you use the clutch when switching from forward to reverse? I typically do, it seems much less violent that way. I've done it both and it seems to work but there is a pretty sudden jerk if I don't use the clutch. I do not typically use the clutch for high to low switches.

So I guess I've got 2 questions:

1) Do others do this?

2) Is this bad?

Thanks,

Phillip
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 pm

To answer your questions ... Yes and No. :D I'm not sure about your "C" model but on my brothers D and E models they both have "Decelerators". We simply hit the Decel when shifting from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. It is okay to use the clutch pedal as it is largely a creeper mechanism anyway. At least the first stage of the clutch pedal travel is. The second half of the travel is what disengages the engine drive clutch for transmission shifting. That is, from one gear to the other. You don't need to clutch or decel when moving the HLR from high to low or Low to high.
Hope this helps and some of these other seasoned 450 operators may have other opinions in the way they do it. :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

ib4hoyt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ib4hoyt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 pm

im like you, i don't like that sudden jerk, i use the clutch when going forward to back or back to forward...H to L i just shift it.

jdemaris

Re: H-L-R question

Post by jdemaris » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:15 am

77 Ford wrote: it seems to work but there is a pretty sudden jerk if I don't use the clutch. I do not typically use the clutch for high to low switches.
There is nothing wrong with using the cluth pedal. That being said, when adjusted properly the HL-R is designed NOT to jerk when shifted, with no foot clutch, even at full throttle. Same goes for the F-R reverser in the 350s.