Testing the Engine temperature gauge...........

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Testing the Engine temperature gauge...........

Post by Frankdozer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:19 am

I can operate my 1984 John deere 455D Track loader for hours on end and the temperature gauge barely, if at all, moves. Is there a way to test the sender or the gauge? Thanks, Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

johnHD
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by johnHD » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:46 am

dip it in boiling water?

john

jdlou
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdlou » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Mine would show way, way too hot. I rebuilt water pump, changed the thermostat. To no avail. So I then changed my electric temperature guage to a mechanical guage, guess what I should have done this from the start. I know my problem is the opposite of yours, but I don't fully rely on an electric guage. Good Luck, Lou
:)jdlou(:

MarkW
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by MarkW » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:06 pm

I'll get on a soap box and preach at everyone to spend some money here.

For measuring temperatures my current opinion the ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can beat an infrared thermometer.

Simply put, these things are awesome for all sorts of stuff, including diagnosing engine problems.

Go to amazon.com and type in "infrared thermometer" in the home and cooking section. It looks like prices start at $2.99. Whatever you get, choose one with a laser pointer, about $20 gets a nice one.

These things are awesome- check for hot bearings, if you have an engine miss just put the laser on the exhaust manifold to find the bad cylinder, check the temp at your engine temp input. Locate blocked tubes in a radiator. They are really amazing. Plus, you don't even need to put a probe on the part like in the old days, just stay a safe distance away and shine the laser.

This summer I've discovered it is also awesome when I cook fish outside, a temp reading takes a second or 2 and I can adjust the flame instantly to keep the temp at 350, when I use the normal deep fry thermometer I'm lucky to keep it within 50 degrees.

Anyway, it is pretty rare nowadays to have a cheap tool that can be such a time and headache saver, but this is one of those tools.

Not to spam, and I don't care if you get one through amazon or somewhere else but here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... sort=price[/i]

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:05 am

MarkW.......The infared thermometer seemd like a logical place to start and a good tool to add to the kit. Which one did you get? Thanks, Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

MarkW
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by MarkW » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:41 am

I have the harbor freight one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contac ... 96451.html

But I have had it for a few years now. Back then there weren't many choices but now it seems like there are a bunch. The one I have reads to 950 F, I originally got it to read higher temps but I've discovered how handy it is even for lower temps so I'll be getting one of the cheaper lower temp units one of these days too.

Anyway, I've had good luck with the HF version but I suspect that many of them for sale are identical except for the plastic color of the housings.