1974 450 Transmission Trouble

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Glenn5564
40C crawler
40C crawler

1974 450 Transmission Trouble

Post by Glenn5564 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Hello all I'm a Nubie here and have only visited this site a couple times and was impressed with the knowledge thats available. I'm not working my life away anymore and now have bought a possible good piece of history to tinker with.
I bought a 1974 Straight 450 (I Think) for $3000.00 Did I do okay? The loader runs fine in low forward but will not move in any other gears side note some of the bolts on top of the trans are broke so I will need to fix that also. The previous owner told me he had the steering clutches (left track dont feel like it) replaced, all hoses replaced except one, and I think he said brakes. Im not a operator and not a equipment mechanic just deliver the equipment meaning I know only basic parts and operations.
I Purchased it to work (Not Abuse) on my land. I would appreciate any help to point me where to look while I wait on my manual to show up in the mail. Added kicker I'm nuts I know but I'll be trying to do this with no knowledge (except what you guys tell me) of equipment repairs, a manual, and in a open field. I am a good troubleshooter once I figure out how things work and a very determined person so that should help. I no longer have a shop is the reason Ill be outside and no way to move it because I no longer drive.

Any help would be appreciated
1974 Straight 450
Christ is King!!!!

vestor_guy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by vestor_guy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 pm

First of all, let us know what you really have. A 1974 is not a straight 450. Post the serial number. 1974 was the year deere shifted from the B to the C.

Glenn5564
40C crawler
40C crawler

Crawler Serial Number

Post by Glenn5564 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:41 am

I couldnt find the serial number. can anyone enlighten me on the possible locations of the serial num on the crawler or the engine?
THX
1974 Straight 450
Christ is King!!!!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:24 pm

I believe the serial number for the 450s is usually on the kickplate below the seat. I would look there first; however I don't own one so others may have a better idea.

$3K is not too out of line for a fucntional 450 as long as it doesn't have too many big issues. For that price I am guessing that rather than being a 1974 that it is around 8 years older than that and is a straight 450. However the serial number should be conclusive if readable.

The gear selector is difficult to shift even on less worn machines- it also has a HLR lever to shift between high/low/neutral/reverse. On my 2010 which also has a HLR, I very rarely use the gear shifter and just use the HLR shifter in conjunction with the low range (1-2) gear on the selector. Anyhting more is just too fast for my 2010 with worn undercarriage. I sometimes use the "tow" gear if moving it with another piece of equipment more than a couple of feet.

As to the other questions you had, I would recommend doing a search of the archived posts on this board using the search words of "450". There is a lot but you can narrow down based on your questions. There have been quite a few threads over the years about "what to look for on a 450" and "buying a 450" that should really help.

My advice is not to discourage you from asking more questions, but it gets a little repetitive for us on some of the more common questions such as steering clutches. :wink:

P.S. The steering clutches and brake bands are both within the steering clutch housings and work together, so usually (but not always) if one is replaced the other is as well. There is a steering clutch housing on each side of the crawler, just to each side of the seat.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

vestor_guy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by vestor_guy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:48 pm

On a 450 dozer, the serial tag is on the seat kick plate. If it is missing, the serial number is stamped into the frame on the left side just to the right of the rear canopy mount.

I got a replacement tag once for one that had the holes stripped out. The dealer had to put it on and he verified the number was the same as stamped on the frame.

Glenn5564
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Glenn5564 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Looked where you said it may be and was unable to locate it by the rear canopy. The one under the seat is missing. I tried looking for info in the forum but was unable to find anything about the serial number locations. Can anyone tell me any possible locations for the serial # placements on a 450 Track loader??
Can any one tell me what I can start checking to try to diagnose the trans only having low forward?? No high at all and no reverse!! Until my book shows I dont even know how to check the fluids on this thing. So any help would be appreciated!!!!
THX
1974 Straight 450
Christ is King!!!!

vestor_guy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by vestor_guy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:59 am

Lets see if I can describe the location of the serial number that is stamped into the frame a little better.

From the rear of the tractor, look at the frame member just below the left side of the fuel tank. It is definitely directly under the left side of the fuel tank. Mine was a 1968. If it has been painted several times, the numers may be full of paint.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 am

Glenn5564 wrote: Can any one tell me what I can start checking to try to diagnose the trans only having low forward?? No high at all and no reverse!! Until my book shows I dont even know how to check the fluids on this thing. So any help would be appreciated!!!!
THX
I would start by checking the level of fluid on the dipstick of the HLR. The disptick for my HLR is on the floor between your legs- it is a cap on the filler neck- the cap screws off and the disptick is part of the cap. I would check that first as low fluid would cause shifting issues. However low fluid would usually cause problems in "low" speed range as well. If low, then fill through that filler neck.

There is also a filter in the side of the HLR that should be changed as well, but again it may not be your problem if working in the low speed range.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Glenn5564
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Glenn5564 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks for the help guys!!! I went to pressure wash the loader and after 3 hours and a change of clothes I got it relatively clean. When I inspected the crawler I found that the Transmission housing was busted in the back (it had beed welded in the past) so I now know where the problem originated. I only read these helpful posts this morning so I'll be going to look for the serial number today. Can I get some opinions on wether the housing can be re-welded or to start shopping for a new one once I figure out what I own??
I'll update when I find out what the serial # is so I can start the shopping for parts.
I prayed about the purchase of this loader and feel good about it cause I know the LORD will take care of me.
1974 Straight 450
Christ is King!!!!

vestor_guy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by vestor_guy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:41 am

I think you are going to be shopping for a used transmission. With a cracked housing, I would be suspect of the inner contents especially since someone has been inside and did shoddy repairs.

You have a lot of work ahead so good luck. I would seriously think about scrapping out that crawler. It's current value is just for any good used parts remaining.

Glenn5564
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Glenn5564 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:55 pm

The further inspection of the loader today revealed the frame rails (where it attaches to the drives) is what was welded and not the transmission even though the tranmission is still cracked!!! The serial # is not on the back of the loader that I could find and the paint is not very thick. I did find a nomber on the side of the motor (T24961) and on the side of the transmission (T20760T JD) maybe that will help. On a funny note I've left the previous owner a message asking for a discount on the purchase price. I'll let y'all know what happens with that when and if I get a response.
vestor_guy`thanks for your help and Ill be checking on scrap metal prices in the next few days due to the extent of damage.
THX to everyone for all the help!!
1974 Straight 450
Christ is King!!!!

Glenn5564
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Glenn5564 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Previous owner not giving any refunds anytime this year!!!! No surprise there. So I guess the next step is finding the ser # So if any of you have any other suggestions as to where it might be located Ill be happy to go look. Then Im guessing that I need to know where to find a used transmission So if anyone knows where to find one please let me know.
THX for all the help hope all is well
1974 Straight 450
Christ is King!!!!

vestor_guy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by vestor_guy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:07 pm

You should escape from this situation while your investment is still at a minimum.

Glenn5564
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Glenn5564 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I can get $1440 from the scrap yard is that best or part it out???
1974 Straight 450
Christ is King!!!!

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:03 am

You should post up pictures so we can see what kind of shape the rest of the machine is in. Then people would be in a better position to help you determine if you should scrap it or sell it for parts.

Don't forget to get a couple close up pictures of the under carriage.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T